Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland SH-4d

Looks like an interesting little box at a reasonable price.

https://www.roland.com/ca/products/sh-4d/

Includes 11 oscillator "models", including SH-101, Juno-106, and PCM samples. The Drawing Model sounds interesting ("design your own waveforms and build sounds never heard before"). Also includes a USB-c audio/MIDI interface. Powered by USB-c and can run off batteries.

This Roland SH-4d will definitely be a hit with the EDM crowd. 

The SH-4d could also tap into the market of Arturia Freaks and the ASM Hydrasynth Explorer.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I feel very old and obsolete, as after watching the short product demo video my first thoughts were:

1) That's some of the more dramatic physical flourishes I've seen from someone adjusting faders and pushing buttons (albeit, pretty much in tempo)

2) I realize most of the work is in envisioning, programming the parts, etc. And unlike other forms of live music, the performance could be handily managed by AI. Or SMPTE code. Or the metaverse. 

3) I'm never thought about painting any of my fingernails, not even just two of them.

4) This could be a TikTok'ers dream rig

5) I'm pretty sure this product wasn't made for me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I do like Roland gear and haven't had anything for a while. I had the System 1 with SH-101 plug out, but the keyboard was terrible. If this has SH and Juno it could be a nice little module (must stop buying gear....)

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

3 minutes ago, timwat said:

I feel very old and obsolete, as after watching the short product demo video my first thoughts were:

Brotha Tim, we must be around the same age because that is my feeling about all grooveboxes and most synths manufactured nowadays.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

10 minutes ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Indeed, would be a nice complement to, say, a YC73. Easy way to add some Roland sounds to a budding studio, as well.

At some point we’d hope a YC successor would be able to play DX/FM patches.  Although an AN or virtual CS engine would be very welcome.  But yes, for boards like the Electro and YC that lack a synth engine a desktop pair up is a neat solution if not running iOS or MainStage.  

So, 60 note poly, 4 parts - 4 synth, 1 drum.  I’m going to say that if it’s not ACB at this point it’s based on Zencore to get that poly count even if they aren’t interested in giving it access to Zencore eco system.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

A DJ/producer who made history as part of the Detroit techno scene was a good choice demo the SH-4d, for the intended target audience.

Not much crossover between that target audience and this forum membership, except the few like Elmer who see it as a reasonably priced multi-timbral (mostly non-rompler) sound module  ready to MIDI DIN to one's favorite keyboard.   Oh did you see all those knobs?   Sure doesn't hurt either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Not much crossover between that target audience and this forum membership, except the few like Elmer who see it as a reasonably priced multi-timbral (mostly non-rompler) sound module  ready to MIDI DIN to one's favorite keyboard.

Brotha Gov, as I mentioned the Freaks and Hydrasynth Explorer above, I could see a KB player using the SH-4d as a synth/sound module.

The product demos aren't directly aimed at KB players hooking it up to their DPs. 🤣😎

PD

42 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Brotha Gov, as I mentioned the Freaks and Hydrasynth Explorer above, I could see a KB player using the SH-4d as a synth/sound module.

The product demos aren't directly aimed at KB players hooking it up to their DPs. 🤣😎

They're just aimed at Elmer and Eric, who march to the beat of their own drums.  😉  I'm guessing they are also the kind of guys who don't allow official company demos to sway them as much as other factors in their evaluations.

Oh, and maybe the guy who wanted an affordable Juno clone or something  - in a module format with way more than 4-voice polyphony.

I have to see what they have for patches and how easy it is to load up new ones.  Not sharing patches with Zencore is… interesting.  

What’s your take, Gov?  Minus the drum part,  SH-4d or JX-08 (heck for the price, throw in a JD-08 as well).  

41 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I have to see what they have for patches and how easy it is to load up new ones.  Not sharing patches with Zencore is… interesting.  

What’s your take, Gov?  Minus the drum part,  SH-4d or JX-08?  

I haven't read any reviews/comments about the JX-08, nor heard any audio/video that convinced me it would be worth getting when I already had the MC-101 and MC-707.   I have some of the optional sound packs that reflect more effort to replicate analog tones of the past, compared to the factory presets, and those sound as good as anything I've heard from JX-08, if not better.

For those who really care about ACB over ZenCore - as competing VA technologies - for melodic/harmonic synth duties, i guess the JX-08 would be the winner by default?   At least to people who just want ACB but don't do further research.  Apparently the JX-08's envelopes are not the quickest, for example.

Oh and as a multitimbral module the JX falls short compared to the SH.

Apparently you can back up your data to computer via USB.  I can't tell though if the data will appear on your computer in structured folder-subfolder format, such that it would be easy to tell which files represent presets, which are MIDI files, etc.... or if it will appear as files in a proprietary format.

One advantage over the  MC-101/707 is the sheer number of knobs, which should reduce menu-diving quite a bit in the sound tweaking process.

It sounds good to my ears.

On the other hand:

- Just one lfo? And one of the synthesis modes adds a second one - at the cost of one of the audio oscillators?! This is 2023, and this is a digital synth...

- 5-part multitimbral, and *no onboard layering*?!?!

( I hope you can at least use a controller with multiple zones on different channels, and layer sounds that way)

the model designation sh4d leads me to think there may be a sh4 incoming, which could be a nice alternative to jd-xi.

a bit disappointed with the pcm section, with very limited samples and presets, none of the supernatural or zencore presets, xv5080, d50 tones or rompler sounds. these made the jd-xi and boards like the xm really great, and the MC range.  sad to see it missing here, as this would have made the package complete.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I'm surprised Roland hasn't released a followup to the Integra.

Because an SH-4d Keyboard Corner Edition wouldn't be an SH anymore.  The branding just doesn't fit.  It'd be a new Integra or Fantom-M - rompler centric, no sequencer, Zencore section, small footprint to acommodate guys who have too many keyboards already, demos done by a conservatively dressed middle aged man, etc.

Seriously though I do think an Integra MkII/FantomM would sell, even if it's just a Jupiter X/Xm with the keyboard chopped off.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, timwat said:

1) That's some of the more dramatic physical flourishes I've seen from someone adjusting faders and pushing buttons (albeit, pretty much in tempo)

2) I realize most of the work is in envisioning, programming the parts, etc. And unlike other forms of live music, the performance could be handily managed by AI. Or SMPTE code. Or the metaverse. 

3) I'm never thought about painting any of my fingernails, not even just two of them.

4) This could be a TikTok'ers dream rig

We need a "like" emoji that means "this is someone I'd enjoy having a beer with". 

• Like 1

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I see several positives to it, but I left that form in the rear-view as I moved on to an ITB world. They made some smart, musical decisions. Its clearly an EDM/IDM item for people well below the average KC greybeard age, IMO.

The multiple engines have a nice Prologue/Sinevibes aroma, so bang for the buck is elevated on that account alone. Its not Volca-cheap, but you have to admire the power for the price. The fact that it doesn't handle Zen-Core positions it in the overall field. Mini-jacks always say "Budget," but that's part of learning how to step up to more potent gear as you go. Some will grouse over the I/O, but I almost see it as a decent starter for a newbie laptopper. Its like a baby mutant Linndrum bolted to a Jupiter-6 Jr. 

Its probably not quite as potent as he'd personally prefer, but this thing feels like a Nick Batt party favor. He does a brilliant turn as what I call a table-topper, performing on a couple of stout boutique instruments ringed by pieces somewhat like this. Its modular-by-proxy as opposed to modular Eurorack-style.      

• Haha 1

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

5 hours ago, timwat said:

I feel very old and obsolete

Aw Tim, we ain't obsolete, we just have leaky capacitor caps. I HOPE its just capacitors... 🤖

This one wasn't designed for me, either, but I'm sure I'd get some looks if I wore one on a nipple ring at a NAMM show.

• Haha 3

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

I had watched a Sonicstate review earlier today with a Roland Product Demonstration guru Andy. He mentioned that the sound engine was not ACB but rather based on Zencore Technology without being directly. Also that the keyboard emulations were not "full" recreations but used oscillator modeling of those units.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AnthonyM said:

I had watched a Sonicstate review earlier today with a Roland Product Demonstration guru Andy. He mentioned that the sound engine was not ACB but rather based on Zencore Technology without being directly. Also that the keyboard emulations were not "full" recreations but used oscillator modeling of those units.

Sounds straight out of the 80s.  This one box could have been used to score Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop, and Ghost Busters in a weekend. ;)

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

I’m wondering how this compares to just using a laptop.

A laptop always looks like a better solution until factoring in everything else required...MIDI controller, audio interface, headphones, cables, etc. 

Regardless of menu diving, a tactile hardware device is self-contained, plug and play,  some battery-powered and usually more portable than a laptop and accessories.😎

PD

I tried to go 100% in the box - laptop only, software for synthesis, recording, etc. duties.

Yes you can buy controllers with knobs, keys, faders, etc. for a more tactile experience, but then you have put in effort to make sure each knob, fader, etc. is mapped to the desired function.   If you're lucky, the controller manufacturer will have a template available which will pre-map everything to your favorite software.  if not, better roll up your sleeves, and get to work.

I witnessed a friendly competition between a laptop-only enthusiast and an owner of a particular hardware product.  The laptop enthusiast was able to replicate anything the hardware owner could do.... in the fullness of time.  The hardware owner was able to switch up LFO assignments, change audio routings, etc. in a fraction of the time it took the laptop owner to do the same thing.    

Software also has menu-diving, unfortunately.

I eventually gave up on the 100% ITB route.  My laptop eventually got too old to keep running updated software drivers as well as the software itself. Changing hardware controller assignments from software to software can be a drag.    The world has since moved a greater number of class-compliant USB peripherals but some manufacturers, such as Roland, still compel users to install USB drivers.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

I tried to go 100% in the box - laptop only, software for synthesis, recording, etc. duties.

Yes you can buy controllers with knobs, keys, faders, etc. for a more tactile experience, but then you have put in effort to make sure each knob, fader, etc. is mapped to the desired function.   If you're lucky, the controller manufacturer will have a template available which will pre-map everything to your favorite software.  if not, better roll up your sleeves, and get to work.

I witnessed a friendly competition between a laptop-only enthusiast and an owner of a particular hardware product.  The laptop enthusiast was able to replicate anything the hardware owner could do.... in the fullness of time.  The hardware owner was able to switch up LFO assignments, change audio routings, etc. in a fraction of the time it took the laptop owner to do the same thing.    

Software also has menu-diving, unfortunately.

I eventually gave up on the 100% ITB route.  My laptop eventually got too old to keep running updated software drivers as well as the software itself. Changing hardware controller assignments from software to software can be a drag.    The world has since moved a greater number of class-compliant USB peripherals but some manufacturers, such as Roland, still compel users to install USB drivers.

As a guitarist, I could never go all ITB. 

A little bit of this, a little bit of that works well for me. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

You will still need to attach a MIDI keyboard to this since I can’t imagine playing on these tiny buttons with no velocity sensitivity, especially chords. I imagine it great for electronic music though where you can program drum patterns through these buttons on the fly. 

Besides, it has 4 synth parts all reusing the same potentiometers and faders which may lead to a lot of frustration and sudden changes of values when you start tweaking them. 

12 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

You will still need to attach a MIDI keyboard to this since I can’t imagine playing on these tiny buttons with no velocity sensitivity, especially chords.

Not necessarily especially when it comes to KB parts in electronic music production.😎

• Cool 1

PD