Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solo gigs with just an iPad and a keyboard/MIDI controller? Is this a thing?

I was looking at the Zoom U-24 a while back when I thought I needed more than one stereo output from my iPhone for some percussion loops and click. I just went to the Zoom site and it looks like they have a new series of interfaces geared towards podcasters or streamers. There's a no-frills 2-in, 4-out model called the AMS-24 for $120. The downside is that one of the stereo outputs is a headphone minijack.

I solved my issue by not buying an interface! I put AUM and the percussion loops on my iPhone and trigger them using bluetooth from my iPad!

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

It seems that the scarletts 4i4 and above are tricky to get working in ios. You have to select some settings while hooked up to a computer to get ios to work right. At least that's what a quick googling brought up.

46 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

Ah, I see. Any other suggestions that might be good for IOS?

The issue appears to be that the scarlett lacks some front panel controls for things that instead have to be configured via software, and that software is only available for Mac/PC. So in addition to being sure to select an interface that does not require installation of a custom driver (as I mentioned before), you also need to select one that does not require a Mac/PC app for configuration, unless you have a Mac/PC you can use to configure it.

The PreSonus Studio 26c looks like it should work. PreSonus compatibility is described at https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059975732-PreSonus-Hardware-iOS-iPadOS-Compatibility - they, too, have some models listed there that require a Mac/PC to configure, but the Studio 26c isn't among those. I have no first-hand experience, though.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect another old thread, but again, the Korg Keystage is a really good solution to this original question. As long as your app of choice is up to scratch sonically (I’m quite happy with Korg Module Pro) you can now connect your iPad and have the audio routed into the Keystage. It will even power from the iPad so, with a battery powered speaker, you can have a mains free experience for a good few hours.

Damper pedal input supports half pedalling and the keyboard is pretty responsive for a semi weighted board so, could do piano work at a push. The addition of polyphonic aftertouch and midi 2.0 make this good for studio use too and it weighs 5kg. I don’t believe there is anything else at this price to offer poly AT, audio interface and midi 2.0. Bundled software isn’t bad either.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5