Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: You know you're old when you see this!

Reezekeys

Been a long time fan of Bonnie Raitt.  I still the first time I saw Bonnie as a duo with Freebo at the Troubadour in Hollywood opening for ????.  I remember Bonnie but not the hearliner.   Liked her early album even though they didn't sell that well but Bonnie always had great musicians, but the production just didn't capture the magic.   That was the early problem Bonnie had records no one could capture that great Live Bonnie sound on record.   

One artist I worked for we even subbed for one show for Bonnie on a Jackson Browne tour because Jackson got ticked off at Bonnie.   This was Bonnie's drinking days I'll leave it at Bonnie was having too much fun on stage.   We got the call to replace her on the tour, but Jackson was just trying shake up Bonnie dropping her for a concert and it worked.  Hey we had a great time opening for Jackson the one night we did.    

One of my favorite nights seeing Bonnie was at the Santa Monica Civic and i got tickets from her record company because I worked at a record store.   It was Bonnie's tour with Tom Waits as her opening act.    I was sitting a few seat down from Linda Ronstadt and I saw her get up and head for backstage towards the end of the show so I assumed she was going to sit in.   Well better yet Linda and Joni Mitchell sat in with Bonnie and sounding good.   Then Bonnie had Tom Waits come out to join them and he stood next to Linda.  Linda seems like she wasn't familiar with Tom and kind of afraid of him.   They started sing this old drinking song and Tom is vamping along and  trying move closer to Joni and Bonnie.   Bonnie was grinning and almost laughing watch Tom vamp and Ronstadt try to get away.   Then Tom grumbled like a old drunk and drifted off the stage.   What a great night of music and fun.    

I've been so happy over recent years seeing Bonnie finally get the popular recognition I think she deserves.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I've been so happy over recent years seeing Bonnie finally get the popular recognition I think she deserves.   

Finally? I know she wasn't exactly a household name in her early years as a performer but I distinctly remember 1989's Nick Of Time which went multiplatinum iirc. I've played "Something To Talk About" and "I Can't Make You Love Me" many times over the years. Like I said, I'm old!

• Like 2

I saw Bonnie a LONG time ago, Freebo was in the band but they had full 4 pieces. Great show and we used to listen to her records as well. 

I'm glad she won, she's one of the greats in my book!!!!

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

50 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Finally? I know she wasn't exactly a household name in her early years as a performer but I distinctly remember 1989's Nick Of Time which went multiplatinum iirc. I've played "Something To Talk About" and "I Can't Make You Love Me" many times over the years. Like I said, I'm old!

The older I get the longer a timespan recent years becomes.   <grin>

• Like 1

She definitely had great band members over the years. During one tour, I recall her announcing a solo moment in each show for a percussionist who played a single Roland Handsonic drum, from a small pedestal the roadies would wheel out. She'd ask what part of the world they were going to visit, he'd say "India" or whatever and trigger a loop with a lot of tabla, for example. His playing with and without the loop was VERY impressive. I found this list, but my foggy brain knows not what it does in this case. Can anyone name that guy?   

https://drummerszone.com/music/bonnie-raitt/159/artists/

• Like 1

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

14 minutes ago, Al Quinn said:

How can a living legend be “unknown?” I don’t get it. I guess that means I’m old too! I’ve loved Bonnie Raitt’s music for many years.

Yea that was the reason I posted (I'm not sure some folks here saw the irony!). Thirteen Grammys, A Grammy Lifetime Achievement award, and inducted into the R&R Hall Of Fame. Unknown? People did notice: https://wegotthiscovered.com/celebrities/bonnie-raitt-fans-will-not-allow-the-unknown-singer-grammys-slander-to-go-unchecked/

That's ok, I probably would only recognize any Beyonce song due to the fact that I watched the Pentatonix a capella medley of a bunch of her songs.  Same goes for Rihanna and Ariana Grande, they did medleys of them as well :) 

I'm so old I even dig the slightly older Bonnie, Bonnie Bramlett.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Okay Boomer!

Yeah, this phrase has jumped the shark, but I still love since I'm technically not a boomer, just missed the cutoff by 2 years.

Arguably her peak was early 90s. I adored Luck of the Draw when it came out.  I resurrected it a few years ago when I was traveling for business a lot, still a great listen.

The passage of time is funny. She hit the peak something like 30-35 years ago. When I was a young lad in HS, early 80s, 35 years prior was the pre-Rock era.  I can't even think of a song or artist from the early '50s.  Was this still the big band era?  Certainly never heard any of that on the radio in those days.  Back then the NY oldies station, WCBS 101, mostly played 50s RnR, doo-wop, etc.  Was Benny Goodman, Bing Crosby or whoever was big in those days still winning Grammys for new music in the 80s?  Sure Frank Sinatra was a cultural icon but I don't think Bonnie Raitt falls into that category.

Its a testament to the staying power of the Rock genre. I guess you could say its kind of on life support these days but most here are still reaping the benefits of that era with gigs and such.  I wonder what will be the main genre in another 30 years and if rock music will still be heard.  I gotta think so but who knows.

By no means a dig on Bonnie Raitt.  She's a wonderful talent and I'm happy for her to get some recent recognition.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

Just from my experience running weeknight karaoke shows, everyone - all ages - knows the song Something To Talk About and know who Bonnie Raitt is. If it's a British site maybe that explains it, but she's an icon here in the US. 

No one was more shocked than she was when she won that Grammy. Some artists feign surprise, but she was genuinely floored. It was one of the coolest moments of that show. 

29 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I thought that was a Babylon Bee or an Onion post at first.   Are you sure it wasn't ironic?

Not ironic. The Daily Mail seems to have changed the headline: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11717155/So-Bonnie-Raitt-Blues-singer-beats-Beyonce-Adele-Taylor-Swift-Harry-Styles-Grammys.html

It does exist on a few other sites. How does this stuff work? One source that multiple websites subscribe to I guess.

https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/shock-as-unknown-blues-singer-beats-beyonce-adele-taylor-swift-to-win-song-of-the-year-grammy-376886

https://www.happyghana.com/shock-as-unknown-blues-singer-beats-beyonce-adele-and-taylor-swift-to-win-song-of-the-year-at-grammys/

Yeah, this came across my feed a bunch of times yesterday. Some British blog. Clearly an outlier. It's being overplayed, IMO. 

If you read the story, it really seems like the sensationalistic headline was tacked on to an otherwise pretty straightforward recap, probably for exactly the result it achieved.

I also think it's true that most of the people pulling for Taylor Swift or Lizzo wouldn't know Bonnie Raitt if she sat in front of them and sang "I Can't Make You Love Me" in a tutu. My daughter sure wouldn't. It's been 30+ years since Nick of Time, and music has changed a lot in that time. Most 15-35 year olds have grown up in a world with a very different musical landscape.

But also, I think it's worth saying that as well as we all know her because of our age and tastes, that whole AAA genre was still a sort of specialized slice of the air back then. Her, Delbert McClinton, Bruce Hornsby, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett…I mean, WE knew them. But there was still a healthy slice of the market that wouldn't have spent a minute on any radio station that featured that genre.  

Also, this headline made me think of the time when I mentioned Bonnie Raitt in her prime, and some older folks seemed bemused that we were listening to "John Raitt's daughter" with any seriousness. 

Anyway, I'd never heard her song and listened yesterday. I don't know if I followed the plot -- the son gave a heart to the other guy? An actual heart, or saved his life? I couldn't decode that -- but it's a beautiful song, so tastefully produced. I really like hearing the age in her voice, as much as it surprised me to be able to. I'm unsure if I'd download a whole album of hers now, but I think it's an incredible story that she got a Grammy at this age and against that field. She's a treasure and that was cool.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

2 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

If you read the story, it really seems like the sensationalistic headline was tacked on to an otherwise pretty straightforward recap, probably for exactly the result it achieved.

Exactly. Writers do not provide headlines, editors provide headlines

• Like 3
:nopity:

2 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

Yeah, like a helluva lot of other pissed off old Boomers I fell for the clickbait headline which was repeated on a bunch of sites.  I made an angry "get off my lawn" comment on one of 'em.  I then realized that I had been punked again by The Man who was laughing all the way to the bank.

• Like 2

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

2 hours ago, Bill H. said:

Just from my experience running weeknight karaoke shows, everyone - all ages - knows the song Something To Talk About and know who Bonnie Raitt is. If it's a British site maybe that explains it, but she's an icon here in the US. 

Bonnie is well known in the UK, and Love Sneakin' Up On You was a big hit here. Surprisingly she didn't play it when she toured that album in the UK some years ago.

And yes, joe.com is an ironic, self-aware site. Not my cup of tea particularly but whatever, it's cool.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HSS said:

Yeah, like a helluva lot of other pissed off old Boomers I fell for the clickbait headline which was repeated on a bunch of sites.  I made an angry "get off my lawn" comment on one of 'em.  I then realized that I had been punked again by The Man who was laughing all the way to the bank.

Yeah, I know what you mean.   it seems like (some of) the social media companies are a virus feeding on society.   And they are damaging the society they're feeding upon.

Not Keyboard Corner, of course!  Although, this isn't a social media site, is it?  If it is, it's one of the good ones, set up to facilitate conversation.  (We go off the rails occasionally, but hardly at all).

Social media is the real version of the fictional Krell mind machine that destroyed a civilization in Forbidden Planet.  Not quite as quickly or violently of course.  Both involve beings who found a way to unleash their Ids upon reality with no way to control them.   We all carry machines in our pockets more powerful by far than any older supercomputer and we use them to spread conspiracy garbage and misinformation, and to safely troll others--because they have to sit there and take it with no recourse..  Let me off that ****ing train.

Forums are a form of social media, but the only ones I partake of are heavily moderated, as this one is.

I feel bad in a way for modern artists who have to deal with it for their "brand".

Back on topic, our singer can probably cover Bonnie very well.  Might be cool to do a tune or two of hers.

Didn't Adele cover I Can't Make You Love Me? Many youngsters would only care that Adele sang it. Adele can be good but frequently her voice is just too harsh for my taste.  But Bonnie has the perfect pitch of angels. Many people prefer Adele's version I think simply because it is like their sports team rather than they are better. 

I apologize for wandering off topic, but I'm old...  IMHO here's a cool funky take on Mercy, Mercy, Mercy by the other Bonnie, Bonnie Bramlett. I really dig the piano groove / comping in this version. FWIW, like Bonnie Raitt, I suspect that very few under the age of 40 know who she is. 

https://youtu.be/tjthtfxRoBk