Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurz PC-4

CEB

About the aftertouch - I was just messing with it a bit, and it kicks in easier with the PC4-7 on the white keys than it does on the PC4.

I think they must have moved the sensor strip down a bit.  Black keys feel about the same.

I can activate the AT with my pinkie on the 76, and can't do it on the 88.

There's so many other controls though that unless you've got both hands on the keys, there's no real need to use it.

Even then, there's plenty of pedal inputs as an alternative.

An aside - when rearranging stuff, I stepped on my ancient breath controller and snapped it off in two places.

The PC4 series doesn't have an input for that, and it always felt a bit dorky using it anyways,

so I guess that's no great loss.  🤣

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

On 2/2/2023 at 11:10 PM, Synthaholic said:

Yeah, see that's why I hesitate before doing anything under the hood. It's so convoluted that I just procrastinate on doing anything like this for fear of screwing something up that I won't find out about until further down the road. I should be able to just call up the Framus guitar PROGRAM, delete it, and have all samples and associated keymaps, etc. be deleted along with it. Why would you keep keymaps and FX chains on the board for a PROGRAM that's been deleted, right? Thanks for getting me on the right path, @pawelsz.

In the PC4 OS version 1.14 samples are now correctly being added as dependent objects. 

• Like 1

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

4 hours ago, pawelsz said:

In the PC4 OS version 1.14 samples are now correctly being added as dependent objects. 

Oh, cool. Now, will that apply only to new samples added or affect the samples you've previously added, also? If that sounds stupid, it's because I'm still foggy on this stuff.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

It's gotten to where, on PC4 MULTIS, I now disable MIDI #7 on the sliders of the main sounds, i.e. on an EP/String layer I disable slider volume on the EP. My board has issues with sliders getting activated by small bumps, or getting jarred at all. Nothing worse than having the piano or EP just go silent while you're playing a solo piano/vocal song.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

2 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Oh, cool. Now, will that apply only to new samples added or affect the samples you've previously added, also? If that sounds stupid, it's because I'm still foggy on this stuff.

Any samples. Just if you loaded some sounds featuring programs, fx chains, keymaps, samples - previously if you wanted to e.g. delete those sounds you selected programs, then added dependent objects and samples remained unselected after that operation. With the last update, samples are selected, which is correct. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PC4 88 is currently $1999, $500 off.

Happy 4th!

• Like 1

Has anyone else had recurring issues of powering on your PC4 and having the polarity of the sustain pedal reversed, necessitating a reboot? It's happening to me more and more. I'm using a Yamaha FC5, which doesn't have a polarity switch.

20 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

Has anyone else had recurring issues of powering on your PC4 and having the polarity of the sustain pedal reversed, necessitating a reboot? It's happening to me more and more. I'm using a Yamaha FC5, which doesn't have a polarity switch.

Do you plug your pedal before powering on or later? 

Do you press that pedal while powering on? 

I am using Yamaha FC4A with no issues, always powering the board on after plugging in the pedal. FC5 should work exactly the same way. 

No, everything is plugged in and I'm not depressing the pedal. After a reboot it always works as it should.

I've had trouble with a Roland DP-10 spontaneously switching polarity while in use.  I asked Kurzweil support and they said sorry, known issue, some pedals aren't supported.  I switched to a different sustain pedal and haven't had any trouble.  (Except when I forget and futz with the pedal while waiting for boot.  I think I've finally kicked that habit as it hasn't happened in a long time....)

On 7/7/2023 at 4:36 PM, bfields said:

I've had trouble with a Roland DP-10 spontaneously switching polarity while in use.  I asked Kurzweil support and they said sorry, known issue, some pedals aren't supported.  I switched to a different sustain pedal and haven't had any trouble.  (Except when I forget and futz with the pedal while waiting for boot.  I think I've finally kicked that habit as it hasn't happened in a long time....)

Ahh, that's interesting. But this is simple wiring. I'm trying to think of how these pedals could be different from each other.

13 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Ahh, that's interesting. But this is simple wiring. I'm trying to think of how these pedals could be different from each other.

The dp-10 is a continuous (half-pedal capable) pedal, maybe that was a factor for some reason.

10 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

FWIW I always use normally-open switches on Kurzweils, and never had trouble with them recognizing on/off status.

Thanks, Tom. I never considered that the major manufacturer pedals would be either/or but doing a quick look on Sweetwater shows me that Korg's simple switch pedal is normally open, as opposed to Yamaha or Roland. And I've always assumed the ones with polarity switches were there to accommodate other pieces of equipment that didn't conform to keyboard standards, or like program increment jacks on rack modules, and such.

25 minutes ago, bfields said:

The dp-10 is a continuous (half-pedal capable) pedal, maybe that was a factor for some reason.

DP10 has a switch to turn off the continuous function and turn it into a "regular" simple on/off sustain pedal... but in that mode it functions only in the "Roland preferred" sustain switch mode (i.e. same as Yamaha, opposite of most others).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

46 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

(i.e. same as Yamaha, opposite of most others)

Is that true? Looking at Sweetwater, which certainly isn't definitive, there are 12 normally closed and only 5 normally open, with 14 switchable. Guitar Center and Musician's Friend do not deem it necessary to give you that filter, thank you very much. Even Thomann only gives you a filter choice of Fixed or Polarity switch, but doesn't break down the Fixed.

1 hour ago, Synthaholic said:

Is that true? Looking at Sweetwater, which certainly isn't definitive, there are 12 normally closed and only 5 normally open, with 14 switchable. 

I meant opposite of most other keyboard manufacturers, not opposite of most other pedal manufacturers. Roland and Yamaha work one way, and AFAIK, every other keyboard manufacturer uses the other (in their own pedals, or in the default--and sometimes only--setting in their keyboards).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I meant opposite of most other keyboard manufacturers, not opposite of most other pedal manufacturers. Roland and Yamaha work one way, and AFAIK, every other keyboard manufacturer uses the other (in their own pedals, or in the default--and sometimes only--setting in their keyboards).

No, that's what I thought you meant. By default, I assume that the market chases the majority. It just seems that most of the available fixed pedals are normally closed. But like I said, I was just going by Sweetwater's choices.

This is one of those things that should be standardized. There is no difference to the end-user whether all keyboards use normally open or closed, unless I'm missing something. It just looks like "We want to be different" corporate nonsense.

FWIW - 

Don't even look at your sustain pedal on the PC4 during the boot process.  If you are a spaz and press the damper pedal before the PC4 finishes booting it reverses everything.  The 'dampers' are open by default and when press the pedal the sustain stops.  If your pedal does this you probably touched the pedal during the boot up. Basically it's the same as flipping a pedal polarity switch.

That's all.  Have a great week!

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

25 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

No, that's what I thought you meant. By default, I assume that the market chases the majority. It just seems that most of the available fixed pedals are normally closed. But like I said, I was just going by Sweetwater's choices.

It's also possible that, even though Yamaha and Roland are only a small minority of the total number of keyboard manufacturers, the sales of boards for those two companies (esp. with Yamaha in the mix) might be greater than the keyboard sales of all the other mfrs combined, and in that case, they would be chasing the majority of customers, if not the majority of available keyboard models.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CEB said:

FWIW - 

Don't even look at your sustain pedal on the PC4 during the boot process.  If you are a spaz and press the damper pedal before the PC4 finishes booting it reverses everything.  The 'dampers' are open by default and when press the pedal the sustain stops.  If your pedal does this you probably touched the pedal during the boot up. Basically it's the same as flipping a pedal polarity switch.

That's all.  Have a great week!

No, we covered this ground way back here. But from now on I will make sure to not even look at the pedal, just to be safe.  spacer.png

• Like 1

How is the action on the PC4-7?  Compared to say a Nord Stage compact/Electro?

The 8,8 kg weight is tempting...just a little heavier than my Electro 3 (on which I really dislike the action)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

4 hours ago, analogholic said:

How is the action on the PC4-7?  Compared to say a Nord Stage compact/Electro?

I find the PC4-7 action  to be MUCH better than that Nord action. It doesn't push back as much. The keys are longer. Piano expressivity is better. That said, the rounded edges of the waterfall Nord has its own advantage for organ playing. I'll also mention that the Nord is more even in key response from front to back, whereas the Kurz gets stiffer toward the back, though not as much as the lower end Roland and Korg keyboards do. I have not found it to be a problem on the Kurz. But as always, ymmv.

It's still happening, and I don't want to buy a new pedal when I have so many good closed pedals, so I'm just going to make an adapter, reversing the tip and ring. I'm kind of shocked that Hosa or someone doesn't already make one that just looks like this:

image.png.cfcb5e5a6fd275c32fe34985d694e871.png

There are some available, but I'm not paying $24 for one.  spacer.png

REMINDER: Today and tomorrow are Amazon Prime Days, with some pretty substantial discounts.

• 5 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 9:28 PM, pawelsz said:

image.png.5be9063e971da07c6762687b11982c90.png

@bfields This is from PC3K manual, page 263. Anybody could confirm if it works same for Forte/PC4/K2700? It's not described that detailed in newer manuals.

EDIT: or I can simulate this and check by myself

EDIT 2: Seems PC4 doesn't ask me "Delete dependent objects?" and deletes added deps even if they are deps for another object. I created two programs using same fx chain and when I deleted first program with its dependent fx chain, that fx chain was deleted even when there is a 2nd program that uses same fx chain. So looks it is simple. 

But at the same time PC4 asks me sometimes if store dependent objects and if load dependent objects. 

New PC4 OS v1.15 gives us Object Safe Mode which solves most issues with deleting too many objects. It checks dependent objects of selected if they are used by other objects. Be careful with dependent FX chains and double check if you want to delete the selected ones or not. Other than that, it should solve most issues. Always double check if you have Object Safe Mode switched on (Yes) in Objects>Options submenu, before selecting objects to delete. 

• 2 months later...

Object Safe Mode seems to be improved in OS v1.16 because now I can see also FX chains are being included when adding dependent objects. Good job, Kurzweil!