Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard suggestions for 90s pop and rock?

Hello - I am a guitarist in a 90s rock band looking to buy a keyboard in order to add some pop tunes to our repertoire that could use some keys or synth sounds.  It would mainly be used for live use.  I will mainly be playing simple things since I’m not a natural keyboardist (although will be taking some lessons).

Some artists we would use it for:

Brittany Spears, sir mix a lot, Backstreet Boys, jamiroqui, ace of base, Marky Mark etc. You get the picture.

No budget but want it to be practical for what I need it for.  If that means something more expensive that’s fine.
Keys would be used on about 10% of our setlist so not a ton, but something.

open to all suggestions!

Roland Fantom 06 or 07, or if you want to go with something close to the era you could even buy something like a Korg M50 - light and had a great set of sounds :)

• Like 1

One of the rompler * synthesizers -- not a lot of in-depth sound synthesis/generation and/or programming is needed or possible -- might just work out well for your needs.  Check out the Yamaha MX49 or 61, or perhaps a Korg Kross 2.  I'm sure others will chime in with some other ideas too.

* A rompler is a synthesizer that plays prefabricated sounds based on audio samples; the term rompler is a blend of the terms ROM and sampler. 

Your best bet might be to find a used one in great condition from Reverb or one of the national retailers.  Try before you buy if you can.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I second the recommendation for a Fantom-0 keyboard, or you could also look at the Korg Nautilus line.

As far as the # of keys, that might depend on the specific songs and how accurate you want the parts to be.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

3 hours ago, Mike7300 said:

Also is 61 keys sufficient to learn a few  Elton John and billy joel songs?

Is there a budget restriction for asking this question? If I'm going to be doing the piano singer-songwriter thing, I'd prefer 73+ keys. But if all I've got is 61, I'll make it work.

What is your budget? And do you have a preference for hammer-action or unweighted keys?

Cheers, Mike.

Yamaha MODX+, MX series, Roland Fantom-0, Korg Kross 2, Nautilus.  All of these come in different sizes, whether you want weighted or unweighted keys.  My main gigging board is a MODX7.  Lightweight, yet powerful.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

My good friend played keys in N'Sync and Britney Spears band.  Still has (and uses) his Korg Triton and Yammy EX5. (of course, he's a monster player and could make a fisher Price sound legit.)  I bet you could find a used Triton for a reasonable amount.  Still sounds good.

• Like 1

No budget really - yea mainly will be for the band and 10% of our songs but I figure I may mess around and do some of my own stuff with it eventually once I get a little better with playing.  So I don’t want to cheap out either and have to upgrade later.

whether I ever get to the point that I could play singer songwriter stuff I don’t know but would like to try.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Roland Juno DS61 will cover the bases.😎

+1. Or DS76 if 61 keys is insufficient.

Frankly I wouldn't want to recommend spending too much on a 10%-of-the-set requirement. Which is why I like D's Casio CTS1 suggestion. CT500 if you want a little more "pro" with your couch keyboard (such as 1/4in outs). 

Cheers, Mike.

Heck, you could probably find a Korg Trinity for Pennie’s. I actually loved that little bird during the 90s, in some ways it had its advantage over the Triton.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

12 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

Heck, you could probably find a Korg Trinity for Pennie’s. I actually loved that little bird during the 90s, in some ways it had its advantage over the Triton.

Probably so.  But, finding a Trinity or Triton that still looks good might be a challenge.  That silver/gray finsh doesn't age too well especially if it's been rode hard. 

The aforementioned Juno DS and other KBs are less than $1k brand new.  Not a bad price for KBs containing every sound required to cover a gig.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Korg SetList rocks!  The Kronos left production …. Maybe get the Nautilus. 

Watch some YouTube videos on Korg SetList. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, CEB said:

Korg SetList rocks!  The Kronos left production …. Maybe get the Nautilus. 

That's a whole lot of KB for what the OP is planning to do.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, EricBarker said:

I've got a Pro-X.  Only thing I'm not big on is that the OS lags quite a bit.  Other than that, I love it.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

To me, this sounds like a perfect situation for an iPad and a midi controller of your choice.  You can spend many days downloading and evaluating software versions of classic synths at low cost (or free!) including just about any synth that was used during the time period.  Just cruising the presets can be a blast.

The midi controller can be a keytar, a full weighted 88 -- whatever suits you.  Great for folks who want to get into keyboards, as you can explore a ton of great sounds with very little investment.  For some real fun, check out the SWAN instruments :)

• Like 2

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'll second how useful a tablet or laptop-based rig would be for a gig like this, since "90s keyboard sounds" cover everything from the digital hardware boards of the era, to the resurgence of vintage electromechanicals like Hammond, Wurlitzer, and Mellotron that was happening in the alternative rock world (Blues Traveler, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wallflowers, etc), to whatever crazy synthesized sounds they were cooking up in Max Martin's studio for the pop acts.

You could get a cheap controller in the $100 zone, and then start out using something that's not too expensive to start out with like Mainstage (if you're a Mac person this is the best $29 you could possibly spend) or Camelot or Korg Module on an existing device... just brainstorming. All the kind of thing that's very upgradeable if you decide to dive in deeper.

If you're more of a hardware guy, there are some great recs in this thread for solid breadth-over-depth, Swiss Army boards. I didn't see anyone mention the Nord Stage 3 Compact because that would definitely be on the higher end of your unstated budget, but if I had to pick up a board that could convincingly cover as many bases as possible, that's probably what I'd go with.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:19 PM, Mike7300 said:

I am a guitarist in a 90s rock band

I've just picked up on this. Inevitably, if a guitar band needs keyboards for 10% of their set, it's a Microkorg.

If you want something that will take you beyond that, then iPad+controller is a great start - and MacBook+controller will take you round the world.

Cheers, Mike.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:36 PM, stoken6 said:

+1. Or DS76 if 61 keys is insufficient.

That "Sweet" place just dropped $150 off of the DS76. It's now $999.00, and will probably do everything he wants.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

10 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

That "Sweet" place just dropped $150 off of the DS76. It's now $999.00, and will probably do everything he wants.

Nice board, but actually more expensive than I had expected (I haven't been tracking prices on that board).

Thinking about it: for 90s sounds, why not buy a 90s keyboard? My default recommendation is Alesis QS x.1 or x.2 - sounds good, well-built, nice action, and they integrate well into a bigger rig. (I gigged a QS6.2 + weighted controller for many years).

Regards, Mike

I started seriously with a QS8 (not counting the DX7 I completely didn’t appreciate when I was a kid). Absolutely fantastic first sampler. Dead simple interface, fantastic presets for its EXTREMELY low power. Really good FX system, surprisingly great organs and EPianos. It’s standard AP kinda blows but I’d you can find the expansion card, it’s much better.

Really excellent introduction to the basics of synthesis and signal flow.

I know there’s a beat up one I left in Honolulu somewhere!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I had a QS6.2 over an original Quadrasynth as my main gigging setup for a couple of years, until the display on the Quadra started acting weird.  If I had the opportunity to have those two boards again, I'd definitely go for it.  I remember liking the stock piano patch on the Quadra quite a bit, and the action on both of those boards felt great under my hands.

Hardware

Software