Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard suggestions for 90s pop and rock?

22 hours ago, Mike7300 said:

May be a dumb question but what do those 6 large buttons on the right do - on the Juno.  I think it’s under “pads”. And why does the Yamaha mx and modx not seem to have those?

Those pads are great for triggering samples, playing drum sounds and mute/unmuting parts.

Yamaha is a bit slow and/or stingy when it comes to offering more tactility.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

51 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Those pads are great for triggering samples, playing drum sounds and mute/unmuting parts.

Yamaha is a bit slow and/or stingy when it comes to offering more tactility.😁😎

For me those wouldn’t be that useful then since I’ll have a drummer and won’t need drum sounds ?

4 minutes ago, Mike7300 said:

For me those wouldn’t be that useful then since I’ll have a drummer and won’t need drum sounds ?

Consider the pads a bonus for now.  Never know when they might come in handy for the other reasons mentioned above. 

Otherwise, the KB itself has every sound and feature required for the gig at a great price point.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I use pads all the time for non-percussion SFX. I’ve rarely played with drummers who use electric sample pads anyway. Usually it’s the keyboardist’s responsibility to trigger SFX, so I feel like it’s a pretty simple request Yammy and Nord need to get with the program.

I should mention the last band I left (moved) really struggled without SFX for a while because my replacement didn’t have a board with pads. The drummer finally bought a pad and has taken over responsibility.

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

7 hours ago, Mike7300 said:

Would a Nord be good for what I need?

I wouldn't leap to Nord for this use case. You may need more sophisticated split/layers than Nord can provide. 

If Yamaha is looking too complicated, go over one lane to Roland. DS61 has been suggested already, and Fantom-0 competes with the MODX you were looking at.

Cheers, Mike.