Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Join our C BLUES SCALE challenge

totally with you on that @CEB, on my effort, i used grace notes and slurs all over the place, the equivalent of bending into the notes on the guitar.  for me, sliding into the scale notes is well within the rules, but I didn't give it much thought.

let's not overthink it, it's just a fun exercise and nobody will be cursed if they stray outside the scale :)

• Like 3
hang out with me at woody piano shack

This is definitely harder than it seems, in lots of different ways.  :)

For me, I tend to use the C major blues scale (C D Eb E G A) more than the minor blues scale, so I'll have to fight a bit of muscle memory.  I'll definitely give it a shot and post before too long!

On 2/12/2023 at 5:15 AM, CEB said:

I play Blues. I’ve gone back to just this genre in 2023.

It’s my only gig and can’t use just six notes for solos because we aren’t guitars. You need the neighbor notes to create blues tension. In piano we call it “playing between the cracks”.   You do it with crush notes or with tonal clusters if you want to go full Monk.     Guitars bend strings. We can’t.   I think this is why actual Blues players like Steve, Jim, and myself posted the things we did.  

With the Hammond we up it even more with palm smears. LOL. 

Guitar can't use only six notes either, at least I can't. There are passing notes aplenty and there are also blues notes that are not quite in the tempered scale.

Often these sounds appear in the vocals, or the slide guitar parts. I often stretch the 6th almost up to or a bit beyond the minor 7th note of the scale. Both are valid and common in blues. The minor third is flexible in a similar manner. Blues is not European based music, it comes from Africa and is influenced by the music of the Middle East. 

Different animal. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 2 months later...

Ok. I wouldn't have mind(ed) if my video was used, and a comment on a main missing ingredient IMO: dynamics. In this example, there's some dynamic that can be used in a Blues,

might be interesting if you do future challenges to include some dynamics in the backing track! It's fun to do all kinds of styles, kind of like in my "Blues Command" contribution to the keyboard Quarantunes Vol 1 (right bottom  of the forum page, scroll to bottom of the list), but for an education challenge, it's probably better to take a particular style, like the accompaniment combines properly with only two or three main blues rhythms.

T.

Did you email me the link to you performance @Theo Verelst?

Apologies if I missed it, my intention was of course to include all the submissions. Send me the video link and I'll add it to our YT playlist.

Everyone is free to upload their version. Send me the YT link and I'll add it to our growing playlist. Link to playlist in video description.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Nice Woody. I didn't see the challenge in time. And I agree with Cybergene.

I hope I catch the next challenge, hopefully it's gonna be more interesting to play

Years ago I participated in a challege / viewer collab. I remember I played keytar there, don't remember which video it was. But it was fun

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc