Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need two keyboard stand for home use only

OMG, another stand thread.

What I need is something that is very sturdy and is adjustable for the top keyboard.  I have a MOXF8 on the lower position and a heavier Kronos 88 on the upper tier.  I also want something that leaves plenty of room width wise for sustain and other pedals on the floor.  I had an ultimate stand and didn't like it.  Then I decided to order the K&M 18950 with upper tier attachment and it is on backorder for another 2 or 3 months.  So I want to cancel that order and get something I don't have to wait for.  Any suggestions?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

1st one that comes to mind is the OnStage 2-tier Z-stand.  However, I wouldn't advise placing the heavier board on the upper tier with this stand, unless you're at a standing height.

Hercules also makes a 2-tier Z stand.  That one might be worth checking out.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

18 minutes ago, MrVegas said:

What I need is something that is very sturdy and is adjustable for the top keyboard.  I have a MOXF8 on the lower position and a heavier Kronos 88 on the upper tier.  I also want something that leaves plenty of room width wise for sustain and other pedals on the floor.  I had an ultimate stand and didn't like it.  Then I decided to order the K&M 18950 with upper tier attachment and it is on backorder for another 2 or 3 months.  So I want to cancel that order and get something I don't have to wait for.  Any suggestions?

Kronos 88 on top might benefit from its own stand. Could two one-tier stands work for you? 

Cheers, Mike.

If you don't have to move it, the On-Stage KS7365 stand is rock solid.  Top tier comes down pretty close to bottom board-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Yeah I would have said an Onstage Z as well (I retired mine from gigging, and now just use it as a single tier that sits under my desk).   But the 2nd tier uses gear teeth to hold the arms and I'd worry a bit with the weight...and maybe the size, I don't remember how long those arms were.

I use a 2 tier omega pro now (much cheaper from Thomann) but I don't think I'd have a heavy 88 on that 2nd tier either.

Those upper-tier arms on the OnStage are plenty long enough to support a pretty big 88 (I've had an 01/W Pro X above a Roland RD-1000 on mine, and it hasn't budged at all.)  Just make sure all of the adjustments are nice and tight (but don't overtighten anything.)

What I'd be most concerned about, especially at a sitting height, would be a heavier keyboard (in this case, a Kronos 88) on the upper tier, as the stand might tip backwards due to the legs not extending all the way underneath the upper tier at the stand's lowest height.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

25 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Kronos 88 on top might benefit from its own stand. Could two one-tier stands work for you? 

Cheers, Mike.

Interesting idea.  I have room for two stands.  How would that work?  Which ones?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

Many stands can nest one behind the other. You say you need 

49 minutes ago, MrVegas said:

plenty of room width wise for sustain and other pedals on the floor

but even a (double-braced) X-stand behind a Z, T or H could work to support your Kronos.

Do you have any unused stands that you could press into service. I'm a consistent fan of spending the minimum required to do the job.

Regards, Mike.

25 minutes ago, justin_havu said:

Those upper-tier arms on the OnStage are plenty long enough to support a pretty big 88 (I've had an 01/W Pro X above a Roland RD-1000 on mine, and it hasn't budged at all.)  Just make sure all of the adjustments are nice and tight (but don't overtighten anything.)

What I'd be most concerned about, especially at a sitting height, would be a heavier keyboard (in this case, a Kronos 88) on the upper tier, as the stand might tip backwards due to the legs not extending all the way underneath the upper tier at the stand's lowest height.

Whoops that's right--that stand was prone to tipping backward even with a relatively light keyboard on it.  It tried to do so on me at several gigs with just a 30 lb pc361 on top.  You never want to take the bottom keyboard off first with that stand for instance.   I think that is probably a non-starter with a Kronos 88 on top with a lighter board on the bottom.  If you switched those then the Kronos would hold the stand down pretty well I think.   You could probably brace or weight down the legs to stop it from happening, but then that solution might be in your way.

• Like 1

I was using a quilt-lok 2 tier double braced xstand and the one top tier arm broke. I use it as a single stand now and put another double braced x stand behind it. It works great and is much more solid than having the weight of 2 keyboards supported by one stand. I have a CP4 on the bottom and Triton on the top.

JC

• Like 1

I've got a K&M 18810 Omega stand with a second tier. I currently have a Montage8 on bottom, and a Kronos 73 on top. I used to have a Kronos 88 on top.

It's perfectly solid for this, and IMO more solid than the  Z stands, which I also own.

• Like 2

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

5 hours ago, MrVegas said:

Did you try Thomann in Germany?  I buy most of my K & M hardware from them,  and even with shipping and any duties  it is cheaper and faster than I can get it here in  Canada.  Worth a look.  

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I can't personally recommend the On-stage 2-tier Z stand.  I was one of the folks who had issues with that stand wanting to tilt backwards (read my experiences here: https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/184093-on-stage-2-tier-z-stand-issue-ks7365ej/)...it would only be worse given you'd have an even heavier board on the top tier.  

If you do end up going for a z-stand, I'd recommend the Hercules instead (model KS410B)...You do lose some top-tier adjustability, but it's a more stable, better design in my opinion. 

On 1/22/2023 at 5:42 AM, lsj said:

standtastic.  the most adjustable stand on the market, room for pedals on the bottom and very sturdy.

I own a Standtastic stand and my personal opinions based on my personal experiences with it are as follows. 

It is an amazingly solid, bounce-free stand, indeed highly and finely adjustable, and I would happily use it in my studio if I needed to. That having been said, I think I'd rather chew tinfoil than try to tour with one. They're rock solid once you get them situated properly on the floor, but setup can be very fiddly, and until you get the rear X-brace screwed into place, it wobbles all over the place. It's really meant for wider keyboards (61 keys minimum); a narrower setup becomes top heavy and dangerously wobbly.

I have a third tier on mine, which means it won't fold up enough to fit in the case; that adds to the pain of setup. I will never get rid of it, because it does certain things amazingly well... and there is NO load-bearing plastic ANYWHERE... but I shudder every time I have to put it to work.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

On 1/21/2023 at 10:50 AM, MrVegas said:

This is what you get for starting it...

Get the Gibraltar GKS-DBKT88

Very sturdy!  You deserve it!  And hey, it will look great in Vegas!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

11 hours ago, Old No7 said:

This is what you get for starting it...

Get the Gibraltar GKS-DBKT88

Very sturdy!  You deserve it!  And hey, it will look great in Vegas!

Old No7

I love my take on it haha
IMG_1894.thumb.PNG.b7def5058318f6a10df35226540a7957.PNG
Infinitely adjustable. Only very annoying once.

But at home, I have a Hercules Z-Stand with the second tier where the 'boards can touch if need be. And, the arms are quite deep front to back so screens etc. are visible.

I’ve got four tiers on my Standtastic. Definitely agree that it’s a total pain in the pahtootie to gig with. I’ve cut a couple of wood panels to cover the span that holds my new tiny synths…JX08, HydraExplorer, MiniFreak, OPSix, Deepmind 12 are still being moved around on the middle two tiers…haven’t quite got them perfectly placed yet. Top tier is currently just a shelf with miscellaneous clutter. Bottom tier holds a Numa Compact 2X, a capable controller for the other tiny synths. Standtastic is a great stand for this project but again, hate to even think of having to move the thing.

I odd about the tipsy OnStage Z reports. I’ve gigged mine for several years with no tipping, however it only holds very lightweight boards…mainly MODX7 under a VR09.

Standtastic definitely sparks polarizing responses, people love or hate gigging with them, but even those who hate them for gigging do seem to like them for stationary use. I have never gigged with it, but I do have a 3-tier I have used at home on-and-off, and I have a 2-tier I've never taken out of its box. I should put at least that one on Garage Sale, maybe both. I've accumulated a whole lot of stuff I need to sell, when I get around to it.

The idea of using two single-tier stands often works to get two boards where you want them, if you don't need tilts. I've mentioned before that I like this Knox stand for a low-cost option... unlike many stands, it gives you plenty of independent height and width adjustment, which also makes it a good contender for using a pair, one behind the other.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)