Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeff Beck

One of my all time favorites Jeff Beck passed away. He actually played one of my Strats one time in New York City. I lent the guitar to a friend who was in the opening band, and Becks strat bit the dust so he used mine. My son Gene still has that instrument.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

At onetime I played most the material from his fusion phase. My fusion band in the 80s covered a ton of his work. I learned so much from the Wired and Blow by Blow albums.   Guitar work as well as Jan and Max ‘s keyboard work. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Rest In Peace Jeff Beck.

The greatest guitarist of our time has left us. I saw him open for BB King in Fresno on a HOT humid summer evening. 

At other stops on that tour, Jeff came back and jammed with BB. Not this show. 

That said, he was completely fantastic and has left us a memorable body of work. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Oh nooooooo!  Damn it.  He was one of my favorite guitarists for almost fifty years.  I just read that he died at the age of 78 from bacterial meningitis.  In the July 1977 issue of Guitar Player magazine (which I happen to have in the basement), Jimmy Page said that Jeff Beck was the best guitarist out there.  I have no argument about that.  Bye Jeff.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
I rock; therefore, I am.

It is amazing how Jeff Beck was able to create all those sounds with just a Fender Stratocaster and a Marshall stack.

RIP Jeff Beck, and thanks for introducing the Strat to a lot of your great recordings. Gonna give Truth a few more listens tonight in your memory...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Thanks for posting this properly, I posted a link above but this is much better. 

It shows how incredible Jef Beck was even in the Sixties, he is an irreplaceable talent, the greatest electric guitarist of our time and a force of nature above and beyond excellence.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

It is amazing how Jeff Beck was able to create all those sounds with just a Fender Stratocaster and a Marshall stack.

RIP Jeff Beck, and thanks for introducing the Strat to a lot of your great recordings. Gonna give Truth a few more listens tonight in your memory...

It wasn't the gear, it was his soul, his heart, his mind and his fingers that created those sounds. Nobody has ever sounded like Jeff Beck and nobody ever will. 

• Like 5

I found out this morning, had to soldier through a day of putting on a happy face at work. It was really hard.
Back in the day I had both 'Blow by Blow' and the next collection 'Wired' on vinyl. 'Blow by Blow' had Jeff's immortal version of 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers', written by Stevie Wonder. To this day, I have no idea if Stevie ever recorded it. In fact I don't even know if it has lyrics. Jeff's version was so definitive, it didn't occur to me to look further. 
I've mentioned this before-a few years before the pandemic, I saw his performance at Tokyo International Forum. I think there's a recording out there. It was a month after G3 came to town, with John Petrucci as guest. The G3 show had some fabulous guitar playing. Mr. Beck was simply on another level. I wasn't aware of 'licks' or 'riffs'. I didn't make mental notes. His playing was not about technique. it was about expression. it was like watching one person play an orchestra. Totally mesmerizing. Music will never be the same.    

• Like 7

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Terrible loss!  Saw him open for BB in Toronto some years back. Nobody since Jimi had more innovative genius. Larger than life. Deeply missed forever. He set the bar so high we may never see it topped.

• Like 5
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

What happened when Brian May wrote a song about Jeff Beck (and May performed the lead vocals for it[!]), and invited Beck to come in and play lead guitar on it:

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Love 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

'Where Were You' has been on regular rotation on my CD player, then iPod for about 30 years. It's everything I try to explain to people about how JB advanced the art of the whammy bar as an expressive melodic tool light years beyond where anybody else had taken it. Plus harmonics, plus highly controlled feedback, plus volume swells, plus overdrive, plus tone for days. It's the whole package of his brilliance, wrapped around a gorgeous melody.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
Scott Fraser

On 1/11/2023 at 8:13 PM, RABid said:

My sea foam green Jeff Beck American Strat is the one guitar I will never part with.

The last DVD I bought is a Jeff Beck concert.

He taught me to play with expression. My synth leads are better because I spent hours listening to him on guitar.

I was waiting for someone to do this after hearing the news of his death, and I didn't have to wait too long..

https://reverb.com/item/56572495-fender-stratocaster-2017-jeff-beck-artist

• Annoyed 1

2 hours ago, p90jr said:

I was waiting for someone to do this after hearing the news of his death, and I didn't have to wait too long..

https://reverb.com/item/56572495-fender-stratocaster-2017-jeff-beck-artist

Says it was listed 7 months ago. Don't know if he is a con artist or just stupid. 16 more listed at decent prices. He is going to have to wait a while for demand to go up. :P

• Like 3

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

1 hour ago, RABid said:

Says it was listed 7 months ago. Don't know if he is a con artist or just stupid. 16 more listed at decent prices. He is going to have to wait a while for demand to go up. :P

It will never get that high, it isn't a "rare" guitar. Fender sold quite a few of them. I know a couple of friends who have them. 

It's a "thing" that some people list stuff at incredibly high prices. Con artist and stupid are two possibilities. Hopelessly optimistic could be one as well. 

Last but not least would be "my wife told me I have to sell all my guitars" so you post them at prices that nobody will ever buy them, and then you get to keep them. 😇

• Like 4