Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Makes a Sound Cheesy?

ProfD

Some electromechanical KBs, synth and ROMpler sounds have been labelled cheesy at some point.

I suspect that most sounds become cheesy after they have been recorded and received enough airplay to make folks sick of hearing them ad nauseam.

However, acoustic piano is the most recorded KB sound in history.  It never seems to get stale or old. Same goes for the Hammond B3 sound.

Yet, most electronically produced sounds seem to build a cult following of hatred and eventually tagged as Velveeta. 

Feel free to discuss why this phenomenon exists after playing your favorite DX EP and Roland SuperSaw sounds.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think the only way to understand and judge a sound quality is in comparison/juxtaposition with the surrounding sounds. These make our sound wonderful or cheesy or anything in between. For instance a transistor organ sound may sound cheesy in a jazz acoustic combo context but it cuts through in a 60s Italian or Greek song, and so on and so forth. 

Unless we have some classic and indiscutable piano sound, most electronically produced synth sounds will always arise different opinions

Just my two euros 

• Like 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I never classify something as cheesy but if I was going to, it would be toy like, thin, simple. First thing that comes to mind is the mini Casio's from the 80's. I had one and even used it on stage. For modern electronic instruments, I sold my Teenage Engineering OP-1 because I thought it sounded like a toy.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

1 hour ago, yannis D said:

I think the only way to understand and judge a sound quality is in comparison/juxtaposition with the surrounding sounds. These make our sound wonderful or cheesy or anything in between. For instance a transistor organ sound may sound cheesy in a jazz acoustic combo context but it cuts through in a 60s Italian or Greek song, and so on and so forth. 

Unless we have some classic and indiscutable piano sound, most electronically produced synth sounds will always arise different opinions

Just my two euros 

+1

My first thought was the transistor organ, and I think the first time I even heard the term “cheesy” it was used to describe those used in music by The Doors. However, I’ve played for a ton of Greek wedding receptions, where I always used a transistor organ (Farfisa VIP 345), and years later, a transistor organ patch in my Korg Trinity or Triton. That’s pretty much all I heard in those songs back then, and I really enjoy it in that context.

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Personally, a cheesy sound is usually one that has a shrill element, or rather a lack of low-mid warmth. Even when used in music I love, those sounds in and of themselves could easily be characterized as “cheesy.” Compare the rounder sound of Zawinul’s ARP2600 on “Black Market” to some of the other, quacky Pro-Soloist sounds from a similar era of fusion. I’m not sure Elvis Costello tunes or Garth Hudson’s brilliant playing would be any better on a Hammond instead of a Vox or a Lowery, but I feel those tonalities are inherently cheesy. As much as I love Herbie’s use of Solina strings, and I would never replace those final swells on “Chameleon” or “Palm grease,” they definitely pale in fidelity to Stevie’s GX1 orchestration of “Pastime Paradise.”

• Like 1

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

3 hours ago, PianoMan51 said:

Should I start a new thread focusing on identifying the most cheesy piano and organ music?

No need. There's no shortage of cheesy music regardless of the sound(s) being used. 🤣

There are KB sounds that have gone from must have to Swiss.😁

Contrary to the reissue of the Oberheim synth and love thrust upon it, there was a point in time where a certain brass patch was banned in music stores and playing it would get the unsuspecting KB player jumped.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

One man’s cheese is another man’s homemade turkey pot pie. 

I love transistor organs.  I also love my wife’s pot pie. 

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

9 hours ago, Moonglow said:

However, I’ve played for a ton of Greek wedding receptions

I empathize with you 😃😉. In the 60s a lot of popular Greek songs had a very upfront organ along with the omnipresent bouzouki (and accordion). It was a fashion coming from both Italy and Egyptian/Indian recordings and the sound seemed to cut through any mix. In the 70s along came synths and big productions and organ disappeared, but I still prefer those cheezy sounds of yesteryear.

• Like 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

To me a B3 is cheesy, especially for that Lesley slow/fast transition. But I love it, don’t get me wrong 😀

With that in mind, I’d say cheesy sounds/patches are those that draw attention too much towards the sound rather than the music content they carry. A piano sound is one of the most unobtrusive acoustic instrument sounds ever since you can’t modulate it, it’s rather static. So, to touch people you have to create beautiful music with it. (Well, the DX piano is also static but then it’s too specific as a timbre and is not as universal as an acoustic piano). Whenever you accentuate the timbre of an instrument then you’re already in the cheesiness category. With that in mind every instrument/timbre/sound can be cheesy, including a piano. So, it’s all nuanced. 

• Like 1

Here is an idea.  Cheesy is also how a ton of keyboard players play.  Often things aren't utilized because the player isn't good at what he does or his presentation is shitty.  I have seen kids in Jamaica with cheap gear sound amazing because they worked well with what they had.

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

This is getting interesting. Can anybody define ‘cheesy’? 

My definition has something to do with the phrase photographers say to elicit a natural smile: “Say Cheese”. 

The fake, posed, unfelt, untrue rictus (smiling lips, unsmiling eyes) is my definition of cheesy.

Now apply to music.

1 hour ago, Outkaster said:

Here is an idea.  Cheesy is also how a ton of keyboard players play. 

That would be a separate thread topic. 😁

Right now, the discussion revolves around how sound(s) can eventually be used to make a sandwich. 🤣😎

PD

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

That would be a separate thread topic. 😁

Right now, the discussion revolves around how sound(s) can eventually be used to make a sandwich. 🤣😎

I understand but it is a big part of it. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Every sound played on a keytar by Herbie Hancock or Chick Corea in the 80s:  cheesy

Edit:  Any sound I'm using that is too loud, too quiet, too dynamic, too static, has too much reverb or not enough reverb for the song and ensemble I'm playing in:  Cheesy

FWIW, I'd rather play the right part on a cheesy sound than the wrong part on a great sound.

• Haha 1

Cheese is delicious--in moderation.

I think sounds turn to cheese mostly by being associated with cheesy things. So not necessarily over-use, but where it's used. 

The "Jump" thing: EVH took a perfectly good patch and made it rotten. Cheese status: Bleu. Not for everyone, but a hearty burger can usually stand up to it if you really must.

FM piano: A beautiful sound that suffers IMO not from the overuse we usually associate it with but from the fact that everything in the era it was used in, sounds like cheese now. Two words: Doogie Houser. That was not exactly our most artistically expansive decade. Cheese status: fondue. Use it when what the hell, it's right there and you might as well take a finger full, who is it going to hurt, life is short and tofu is disgusting. Then never do it again until the next wife-swap party.

That Jazz scat thing: Is this really a keyboard sound? It's a sound that some keyboards make, in the same way that some chairs can make a fart noise. Cheese status: "Easy cheese." Good for a chuckle or a troll, but it's probably best not to let people think you think it's a real thing. 

"Piano-Strings": Congratulations, hotel lobby duos, you ruined this for everyone, forever. Cheese status: Limberger. Always avoid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

7 hours ago, Outkaster said:

Here is an idea.  Cheesy is also how a ton of keyboard players play.  Often things aren't utilized because the player isn't good at what he does or his presentation is shitty.  I have seen kids in Jamaica with cheap gear sound amazing because they worked well with what they had.

Was going to post something similar. Many of the sounds Prince used to define the Minneapolis Sound would be considered cheesy in most contexts - but he makes them hit hard. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2