Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The “Super Saw”: The douchiest synth sound

My band got hired to play the halftime at a hockey game the other night. Over the sound system they had a bunch of canned pop tune covers and “hokey hockey schlock” jingles. Almost every single one featured a ridiculously spread “Super Saw” (I’d never heard that term until the electronica crowd started using it in the 90s).

It hit me that the Super Saw is the mating call of the dude bro. Why did I not realize this before?!

• Haha 2

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Interesting take. That supersaw sound dominated pop for a long time too - probably 2009 to 2016-ish from what I recall. It does seem that it’s hard to get a really good supersaw sound on many keyboards in my experience. But  ironically, I do like that sound a lot. I just never actually use it.

Another sound that is adjacent to this is the crunchy/moderately-distorted square wave sound that was popular around the same time. Usually played in 3rds offset by an octave.

Trance still uses a lot of both.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I've gone in on some super saw patches and reduced the detune and it makes it much more usable. The stock super saw sound in rolands just sounds like there is no sweet spot where you can get your lead to sing. But thin out the voices and tune them up a bit and it's much better.

FunMachine.

I started hearing the sound in the mid-90s with dance pop. I suspect it goes back to 80s romplers and polysynths. Someone was like, “Keith Emerson did it with 3 oscillators… try 10, biotch!”

The stuff I heard at the hockey game was basically 90s dance pop, the stuff I remember from High School functions. Somehow the soggy biscuit crowd has preserved that genre to the T.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I literally don’t understand the “How To” videos on how to make a super saw. It’s just a bunch of saws with a spread. Set the polysynth to mono and use a spread knob (Oberheim style), or whatever every VST calls it. If you’re on a monosynth, detune each oscillator and maybe apply some chorus if not quite phallic enough.

Clapton used to talk about his “Woman Tone”. Super Saw should be referred to as the “Fred Durst Tone”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, timwat said:

And because this is a Full Service forum, here's a basic instructional video:

Fascinating!  I never knew this had a name and such an implementation. Thanks!     I think PBS uses it in their tone between programs (analogous to NBC 3-tone).

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

In our television market, WGN9 uses a background track for its nightly sports segment. I suspect the composition is called, ‘Variations on a Supersaw’.  And the famed ‘Hoover bass’ is very present as well…

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

7 hours ago, EricBarker said:

Man, that Hoover Bass really sucks.

A big thanks to Eric Persing and the Alpha Juno for that.  All I can say is: What the??

• Haha 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I love supersaws! They work great to give digital synths and softsynths that bit of extra thickness - which is *not* necessairly a hoover or a lead for dance music riffs. If you keep the number of clones to a reasonable amount, and especially when you modulate the amount of detune slightly with a random lfo, a supersaw oscillator can sound very musical. At least, much more musical than a straight saw wave produced by a digital synth...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EricBarker said:

Man, that Hoover Bass really sucks.

But I hear its popularity is picking up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

33 minutes ago, marino said:

I love supersaws! They work great to give digital synths and softsynths that bit of extra thickness - which is *not* necessairly a hoover or a lead for dance music riffs. If you keep the number of clones to a reasonable amount, and especially when you modulate the amount of detune slightly with a random lfo, a supersaw oscillator can sound very musical. At least, much more musical than a straight saw wave produced by a digital synth...

All joking aside, supersaws can be quite useful. I've programmed a few pads and string patches that started as a basic supersaw sound. And with some envelope shaping they can turn into monstrous 'plucky' tones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allan_evett said:

All joking aside, supersaws can be quite useful. I've programmed a few pads and string patches that started as a basic supersaw sound. And with some envelope shaping they can turn into monstrous 'plucky' tones. 

This. I played Superstition at my last gig (yes, seriously, don't look so surprised), and it got a bit "jam"my. BL nodded a solo my way, and I dialled up my funkiest sawtooth-with-filter-envelope patch. Sync mod on the pedal, filter sweep on aftertouch - let's say it was popular with the boys in the band.

Cheers, Mike.

• Cool 1

I don't find the supersaw to be the douchiest sound. For me, its that basic resonant Minimoog pig-squeal I've heard used 5000 times as a lead. I've loved my Moogs, but that one sound could be retired and I'd be fine with it. I once owned a Mini and that was never its best feature, IMO.

I know I can also CRAM my view that a phased Solina is a big snore. Its seen some good use in quality hands, but it was a stepping stone to better string sounds, so it has a mildew-y aroma for me. This is where the FIRST WORLD PROBLEM light behind the audience stars flashing. :hitt: 

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

There are some things that I can't imagine using any other string sound than a phased solina-ish sound.

Pink Floyd  Pigs x3 for instance.

Styx come sail away.

I'm sure a full thread could be started about how that sound makes certain covers perfect.

Back to supersaws, without them non melodic, 2 chord E to F vamps at raves and halftime shows just wouldn't sound right. Imagine that with a modern string sound.

FunMachine.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:06 PM, TommyRude said:

Perhaps for us more junior boardists, we can work our way up to the supersaw, starting with some more rudimentary versions, such as a hacksaw? A circular saw? A bandsaw?

I think the OP may need a coping saw...

• Haha 2

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

There is no law stating that a SuperSaw has to be used in the exact same way as [insert track here]. 

The only reason any sound becomes cheesy is because musicians insist on using it just like the ad nauseam tracks they've grown to hate. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Can anyone remind me who did this SuperSaw line?   I used to quote it in the middle of Chameleon but can't remember its source.  It might be Jeff Beck / Jan.

/       /         /       //  /     /         //  /        /         /     /     /    //  /

G     Bb     C      E C    Bb       F E     Bb^2    A     G    F   E C^2   

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3