Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Was Vangelis the most well known user of the Yamaha CS80?

Introduced in 1976, the Yamaha CS80 was a polyphonic analog synthesizer. 

It supports true 8-voice polyphony, with two independent synthesizer layers per voice each with its own set of front panel controls, in addition to a number of hardwired preset voice settings and four parameter settings stores based on banks of subminiature potentiometers (rather than the digital programmable presets the Prophet-5 would sport soon after).

It has exceptionally complete performer expression features, such as a layered keyboard that was both velocity-sensitive (like a piano's) and pressure-sensitive ("after-touch") but unlike most modern keyboards the aftertouch could be applied to individual voices rather than in common, and a ribbon controller allowing for polyphonic pitch-bends and glissandos.

Production of the instrument ceased in 1980. Vying with the Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 and Oberheim OB-X polysynths for the title, the CS-80 is often described as the pre-eminent polyphonic analog synthesizer, and, together with the monophonic Moog modular synthesizer, commands amongst the highest prices of any synthesizer.

Greek New Age composer Vangelis is arguably the most well known of the players of the Yamaha CS-80, having used it most memorably on the soundtracks of films Blade Runner and Chariots Of Fire. I decided to look up some clips of Vangelis music on YouTube, and came across this clip of Vangelis performing on a CS-80. Rumor is that he owned at least 4 Yamaha CS80 synthesisers.

He also played an ARP synthesiser and a Prophet 5 synthesiser.

And considering how influential of a musician Vangelis was, I'm surprised nobody has auctioned off any of his synthesisers. They could go for millions, I'm sure.

I also really liked the album Vangelis did with Yes singer Jon Anderson. I'll Find My Way Home was always a favorite song of mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timwat said:

I think Stevie Wonder was the most well-known user of the CS80, IMHO.

I remember reading he loved his so much he wore out the ribbon controller (think of the bass on Lately).

Stevie for the win!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Just now, timwat said:

Was just searching to make sure I wasn't mistaking his CS80 work for GX1. Some one on the web (and you know how accurate that is) says at one point Stevie had six CS80s in his stable, as he kept wearing out the ribbons.

Not in the same league at all but I remember reading the liner notes on Bloody Tourists by 10cc that they used a CS80 as well. 

I just bought the new Cherry Audio GX-80 yesterday. Haven't really used it, but the sound samples I've heard sound fantastic. I guess now everybody can own one!!!

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Toto had CS80's as well.

• Like 5

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Funny just a couple days ago I was watching an old DVD on the making of Stevie Wonder's  Songs In the Key of Life album.   They mentioned the CS80 and showed it briefly at Crystal Sound were Stevie worked a lot back then.      It was a cool DVD and for it they brought back Stevie's road band to talk about the sessions and hear some of the tape and they solo different parts.     

From the point of view of recognizing a CS80 in a recording, Vangelis is the most well known, since the poly-aftertouch driven brass swell he used is the most recognizable CS80 sound. Stevie Wonder didn’t use it in such a way. I didn’t even know he had one until today although I’ve listened to him much more than Vangelis. And I bet more people purchase the CS80 emulations to play Blade Runner rather than to play Wonder 😉

• Like 4

Another vote for Eddie Jobson…if you haven’t listened to the premier U.K. album in a while, crank it up.

• Like 2

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Stevie, Eddie and Mr. V are all so awesome, they all win the contest! 👏

However for several reasons I buy the idea that Mr. V will be associated with the CS 80. First the CS80 was central to his output as a keyboardist. Second, he did synth driven instrumentals so, the CS was audibly front and center in more tunes. You would simply hear it more often in his music, since he didn’t play in a band or sing songs. Thirdly, he did film soundtracks which opened a broad customer pool for the sounds of the CS. Lastly, there are number of distinctives in his CS 80 usage including the ring mod, the fragile horn and those long pitch sweeps. Perhaps as a film musician he had greater occasion to dive into the architecture? His CS80 synth vocabulary is as uniquely personal as Tony Bank’s’ distinctive use of the Arp pro-soloist. 

None of this is arguing that Mr. V is a better musician than anybody else. It’s that his influence on this instrument is the most significant.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Docbop said:

Funny just a couple days ago I was watching an old DVD on the making of Stevie Wonder's  Songs In the Key of Life album.   They mentioned the CS80 and showed it briefly at Crystal Sound were Stevie worked a lot back then.      It was a cool DVD and for it they brought back Stevie's road band to talk about the sessions and hear some of the tape and they solo different parts.     

In this documentary available on YT Songs in the Key of Life I don´t recognize any CS80.

It´s all about the Yamaha "Dream Machine" GX-1,- and AFAIK, this was what he used on the record.

:)

A.C.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Coda said:

In this documentary available on YT Songs in the Key of Life I don´t recognize any CS80.

It´s all about the Yamaha "Dream Machine" GX-1,- and AFAIK, this was what he used on the record.

:)

A.C.

Since I can't go back and edit the post or delete it I'll just say.... I got the Yamaha part right <grin> 

• Like 1

Indeed, it is common to see online sources apparently unable to distinguish between CS-80 and GX-1. ABBA's Benny Anderson also had a GX-1. There is just a little 400+ lbs difference between a GX-1 console and a CS-80. Hence why Yamaha used CS for Compact Synthesizer. :freak: After all, a CS-80 is only 220 lbs, about half the weight of a Hammond C3.

• Like 2

Paul McCartney might be a little more famous than the others mentioned. We get bombarded with his CS80 on "Wonderful Christmastime" about this time every year.

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

22 hours ago, K K said:

Most well-known ? Probably. I would also add Eddie Jobson in the top ten CS-80 users list.

I saw Jobson with Jethro Tull on the A tour, 1980-ish, and his rig was 2 CS 80's, and a Yamaha CP70 electric grand. When he did the show intro, entirely on the CS, it shook the room, completely blew my young impressionable mind!

Ignore the silly staged stuff, the concerts starts about 2 minutes in and is a great performance!

• Love 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

The question could be taken two ways or more. Is it the most well known musician well known to have used a CS 80 or most famous for using a CS 80 period? By far more people recognize the name Stevie Wonder. Not as many know the name Vangelis. As for knowing either used a CS 80 I doubt that many people know either used one but Vangelis would be associated with it by musicians. That said, Toto may have gotten the most use out of one in their repertoire between these three.

EDIT: By most use in repertoire I mean in terms of exposure (i.e. hits) otherwise of course Vangelis used it in more material.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

Paul McCartney might be a little more famous than the others mentioned. We get bombarded with his CS80 on "Wonderful Christmastime" about this time every year.

I think I hear the CS in “With a little luck” (a US #1 hit) although I am not sure.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:10 AM, K K said:

Indeed, it is common to see online sources apparently unable to distinguish between CS-80 and GX-1. ABBA's Benny Anderson also had a GX-1. There is just a little 400+ lbs difference between a GX-1 console and a CS-80. Hence why Yamaha used CS for Compact Synthesizer. :freak: After all, a CS-80 is only 220 lbs, about half the weight of a Hammond C3.

Aside from the GX-1's enormous girth and weight, I wonder how much the circuitry is the same, or similar between CS-80 and GX-1.  Anybody know?    UPDATE:  I just found Dave's Cherry Audio GX-80 thread, so I'm gonna go over there and find out...

Not sure about the circuitry common to the GX-1 and CS-80, but certain preset sounds are indeed quite close. I remember also my late favorite uncle who bought an Electone Yamaha organ decades ago. It had exactly the same type of colored buttons as on the GX-1 or CS-80 and some of them were strings and brass sounds, which back then was quite unusual compared to most home organs you could buy. I can't remember clearly as it's been such a long time, but even those particular Yamaha organs might have shared some of the electronics with the GX-1, which after all was more a gigantic home organ than a synth.

Oh and interesting idea about the CS-80 played as a accordion, except you would need Arnold Schwarzenegger or Dwayne Johnson muscles and even then they might get tired pretty quickly. 😃

1 hour ago, K K said:

GX-1, which after all was more a gigantic home organ than a synth.

That's debatable - I mean, it did have that sound, right?   And the CS-80 was based on it, so....  I dunno.   It does look like a home organ, true.   But looks can be decieving, I mean the CS-80 looks like giant accordian, right?  😀

Oh and interesting idea about the CS-80 played as a accordion, except you would need Arnold Schwarzenegger or Dwayne Johnson muscles and even then they might get tired pretty quickly. 😃

😄