Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Humor: "A little old to be Listening to Rock..."

My youngest kid got in the car one day and said "can you turn that *rock* music down?"  (so he could listen to his phone videos...)  "Rock" said in that particular way that let you know it was something only old fogeys would listen to.   Then again, my oldest played trumpet in band for years and he tends to listen to stuff an era or two before the things I listen to sometimes.  He borrowed my car when his was being worked on, and when I got back into it, it was playing Donald Fagen's Nightfly album off the sd card, nice!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lindaru said:

That does it.  I am amending my Will to specify AC/DC be played at my memorial service.

Hee hee who started out playing at Catholic girl school dances.

My former duo patner said she saw them at her catholic school.

Little boys at girl schools now old boys of rock. Makes me laugh.

A friend sent me a birthday card featuring a wrinkly character sitting in a doctor's office wearing army boots, round Lennon specs, a skull t-shirt and a nose ring.

He's saying "I don't need to rock & roll all night, but I would like to potty every day."

Under this, the legend reads "Rock Stars Your Age." :rocker::roll:

• Haha 4

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

I was briefly a member of a too-loud oldies geezer band called Almost Done.  When suffering punters would complain about the volume, we’d say, “Don’t worry, we’re Almost Done.”

• Haha 3

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Yeah if only we could be "cool" and listen to rap or whatever it even is that is "cool" now, if there even is such a thing. I truly pity kids musically now days. 

Insert predicably tedious get off my lawn (blah etc) comments here. 

Kids today might surprise you, yes there is a ton of crappy music being released but when wasn't there?

I remember when albums had the hit from the radio as the first song, maybe the flip side of that single as the last cut on the first side and most of the rest of the album was pretty much crap. How the hell did Bobby Sherman sell any records (he did, I just have no idea who liked that crap!)? There were many horrible songs that made me cringe back when the good Motown and British Invasion stuff was hitting. Even during the Disco Era we had Bowie and Kate Bush (among many others).

Nothing has changed except there is more music now than anybody could ever listen to in a million years. 

As always, some will listen to anything and everything and some have discriminating tastes. My friend's daughter was 9 when she started spinning Dad's old Beatles records and decided that they were great. I know kids who love classical music and are learning violin, cello, piano, etc. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

Kids today might surprise you, yes there is a ton of crappy music being released but when wasn't there?

I remember when albums had the hit from the radio as the first song, maybe the flip side of that single as the last cut on the first side and most of the rest of the album was pretty much crap. How the hell did Bobby Sherman sell any records (he did, I just have no idea who liked that crap!)? There were many horrible songs that made me cringe back when the good Motown and British Invasion stuff was hitting. Even during the Disco Era we had Bowie and Kate Bush (among many others).

Nothing has changed except there is more music now than anybody could ever listen to in a million years. 

As always, some will listen to anything and everything and some have discriminating tastes. My friend's daughter was 9 when she started spinning Dad's old Beatles records and decided that they were great. I know kids who love classical music and are learning violin, cello, piano, etc. 

The difference now compared to the days you mentioned is the majority is now crappy hip hop and generic pop whereas then it was just those with no natural talent for recognizing the good music. Used to be AM and FM. No one with refined sensibilities listened to AM music. There was still hope that one could be educated. Growing up on crappy hip hop and generic pop is like growing up on junk food and crack. Your senses are bound to be permanently damaged. Where would they turn for better music? Broadcast radio is some form of generic pop, just comes in varied flavors.

Bobby Sherman, there were always and still are the teen idols from TV and Cinema crossing over. Bobby Sherman’s musical career ended with the TV series. Ricky Nelson was an exception landing Garden Party as an adult. It happened to fit the times when people preferred storytelling lyrics. In contrast teenie boppers like Aguilera, Spears, Timberlake transitioned to adult stardom as their fans grew up.

But there are still exceptions. Miley Cyrus has a good versatile singing voice. Lately she has been branching out showing she is more than a pop singer. Before she appeared at Chris Cornell’s tribute show she had covered Landslide in a live video and in her own way it was just as good as Stevie Nicks’s version. 

1 hour ago, o0Ampy0o said:

The difference now compared to the days you mentioned is the majority is now crappy hip hop and generic pop whereas then it was just those with no natural talent for recognizing the good music. Used to be AM and FM. No one with refined sensibilities listened to AM music. There was still hope that one could be educated. Growing up on crappy hip hop and generic pop is like growing up on junk food and crack. Your senses are bound to be permanently damaged. Where would they turn for better music? Broadcast radio is some form of generic pop, just comes in varied flavors.

Bobby Sherman, there were always and still are the teen idols from TV and Cinema crossing over. Bobby Sherman’s musical career ended with the TV series. Ricky Nelson was an exception landing Garden Party as an adult. It happened to fit the times when people preferred storytelling lyrics. In contrast teenie boppers like Aguilera, Spears, Timberlake transitioned to adult stardom as their fans grew up.

But there are still exceptions. Miley Cyrus has a good versatile singing voice. Lately she has been branching out showing she is more than a pop singer. Before she appeared at Chris Cornell’s tribute show she had covered Landslide in a live video and in her own way it was just as good as Stevie Nicks’s version. 

The difference? 

There are many differences!!! We currently live on a completely different planet than the one I was born on. 

The kids were born into a new world. It's difficult to make comparisons and impossible to make simple comparisons. 

By the way, I take offense to your comment "No one with refined sensibilities listened to AM music." 😇 

Maybe you are much younger than I am (67) but AM radio in the 60's was where you heard all of the popular music of the day and Motown at it's best was some great stuff, so were the Beatles and many other artists that were not on the FM stations we had in central California (there barely were any FM stations, mostly classical music). I'm not dissing classical music, I listen to it and I like some of it - a good bit of it is crap too. Popular music in and of itself can certainly be an art form, both songwriting (Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon etc ad infinitum) and production. 

NOBODY owned a computer in the sixties, maybe the Military had some giant room full of tubes that was almost as good as a calculator (remember those?). Kids have cell phones that run circles around computers from just 25 years ago. 

We can put a very nice recording studio together for very little money now and record anything we want whenever we feel like it. Nobody needs much money to record and it's not difficult to make recordings. Anybody can now upload anything they want to the internet, check out how many songs are uploaded to Spotify every day:

https://hearinnh.org/how-many-songs-are-uploaded-to-spotify-every-day/  (the article says up to 50 million songs a day in 2017...)

So yes, most of it is crap. In my opinion, most of it has always been crap. Radio always played what was popular and most of that was crap but with few exceptions even the good songs came off of albums that mostly sucked - Marty Robbins usually had mostly great tunes on his records, the Beatles were also putting more decent material on their records and while that became a trend that some bands followed, most albums still as a whole, stunk.

There is some great music being made and yet to be made and more people than ever have the tools to do it. And kids are interested in learning music, they have access to more information, better instruments (manufacturing has taken great steps forward) and infinitely more music that I had available to me. 

I used to go with my friends (proud parents) to hear their daughter play with the local high school chamber orchestra. They had a great performance hall on the campus, Melissa was first chair on the violin but the entire ensemble sounded very good indeed. It made me happy to know that so many youngsters in my own community were focused on playing well. I've seen youngsters at Guitar Center blazing away on guitars, some of them will become genius players over time. 

I went to karaoke a few months ago and a young man got up and NAILED Bohemian Rhapsody, he brought down the house. 

Sure, there's crappy hip-hop. There's always been crappy something. Fortunately, crap has never been the only thing, there is a wealth of great music all around us, growing up in this new world. I'm glad to see it!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have an old college buddy with whom we made some great fusion music in college (decades ago).  One day he commented to me (in our old age): "Can you imagine what we would've done if we had the equipment then that is available today?"

It made me think, would we have utilized it greater to make better music?  Or was the fact that at that time, since our instruments were basically straight-forward simple, maybe it made us focus more on the music itself?  No way to know, of course, as we can't change the past!

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Bobby Sherman was actually a serious artist but his record company didn't allow him to do the music he wanted to do. He owned a modular Moog that he bought from Micky Dolenz.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact