Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What you bring to the table

Outkaster

What I bring to the table: reliability and an easy hang. I'm by no means the best player in my area(I classify as "competent"), but there's plenty of demand for folks like me who can be relied on to get the gig done without headaches on the rest of the band. 

And no I won't get in the way of Kuru's bass player. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

Interesting subject, apart from certain diabolical influences I am under the impression certain keyboard players "fit" all kinds of playing jobs, and probably don't need their roles improved on.

Myself I since my early student time home studio don't feel free to use my considerable keyboard skills to become a glorified organ player, no matter how desirable and ok that might be. Like a professor can only organize a colloqium ever so often. Or a desired model (female, for my taste) can only come to the fish and chip store for a chat every so often.

I felt I wanted more professional sounds until I would play in band situations and was ok with the (round '90) equipment I used. Later, for a variety of reasons I felt more attracted to better band constellations than viable in Holland or maybe create studio sounds I would actually appreciate. Long story short, making software plugins which could sound like good records ought to isn't just about teaching and marketing.

T

My goals are to be prepared, punctual, pleasant, professional, flexible, interactive, and a team player. I put a good amount of effort (and money) into having gear that sounds and plays great so that it inspires me to play my best. If there’s an instrument for me to play at the venue or session I do my best to make friends with it and not complain if I have trouble doing so. Most importantly, I do my best to listen to what my bandmates are playing / singing so that I can contribute music that, hopefully, raises the level of the group. 

The only thing I "bring to the table" these days is potato salad and a penchant for all too many vulgar patches, such as "Inebriated Kazoo" or "Pootalicious Moog Fartissimo." I always seemed to encounter players who were either far above my level or those who were only fumbling at their instruments as a social lubricant. Hence Logic Pro and solo composing in a pair of my eye-watering swim trunks.

One thing I'll never bring to the table: the ashes of my attempts to write lyrics, which stunk radioactively. You're welcome.

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

I bring: sound selection, attention to 'filling in the frequencies' i.e. if guitar and singer are both in similar range, I pad out other frequencies if there's an obvious gap. And agree with Yanni on the drummer. I've stayed in my current band mainly because of how good the drummer is. 

I bring my ears, and try to use them. If the music sounds great, I say so.  If it doesn't, I try to figure out why and do something positive about it.

Behind that, I do what I can.  More now that I am fully retired!  Provide rehearsal space, create arrangements,  prepping lead sheets, facilitate productive rehearsals, live sound, recording+production, and related stuff.  I have just assembled a fun, automated lighting rig for the band, and am teaching myself FB promotion.  Video production is next.  Always something new to learn!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"