Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg PlugKey equivalent

Is there any other manufacturer out there that makes a product equal to a KORG Plugkey?    IOS lightning port connector, old style MIDI IN, 1/4 inch stereo outputs, headphone out, and charging port using a standard Apple Iphone charger?    I'm stumped, and why did KORG quit making them?

TIA,

Steve B.

The plug key was an elegant solution and I haven't seen anything like it.  Most of the iOS devices are either Midi or Audio, and this is the only one I know of that does both in a small footprint, but they used mini connectors for Midi.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduoio/?pkey=irig-pro-duo-io

• Like 1

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I imagine Korg stopped making them because Apple is moving away from lightning connectors.

I think the closest current equivalent would be to put Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter on something like a Zoom U24 or PreSonus AudioBox USB 96, even though they do additional things you may not care about (but the MIDI Out the PlugKey lacked can be very useful). Those are probably the smallest units that have the 5-pin connectors (though as Roddy alluded to, there are also some with mini MIDI connectors).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

26 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Is there a way to charge the iPad when  using a lightening or usb-c connection kit and class compliant interface? 

with Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, you can connect a standard USB class compliant interface and also the wall charger. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

5 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

with Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, you can connect a standard USB class compliant interface and also the wall charger. 

Their USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter provides a USB port, HDMI and a charging port as well.  👍

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think something happened belong the newer IOS updates that limited the current draw from external accessories.

When I still was able to use my PlugKey, it often started to buzz and be unworkable. Otherwise it was a brilliant product as long as it worked.

The same happened between my relative new IMac and my USB hub - dead or unreliable. A bit annoying when you have several USB things you need to switch around - plus that damned ILOK key 🤨

Some of my keyboards those days work directly between my IPad and keyboard(Midi and sound) with a small USB C adapter and USB A to USB B cable.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Thank you for the responses guys.  I've decided to try the IK Multimedia Duo Pro.  It appears to have everything the Korg PlugKey does, plus two mic/instrument inputs (although I don't plan to use).   I'm hoping to just use my M-Audio 61 Axiom controller to play my software from my I-pad, and then output to the 2 stereo 1/4" outputs to my DAW.

The price is $219 Canadian which is not bad, considering I paid $150 for the Korg Plugkey about five years ago.

I bought from Amazon, which has a 30-day return policy if it doesn't do what I think it will.

Thanks again guys.   Cheers.

Steve B.

As an addendum to this post, I've had the IK Duo Pro now for a couple of days.  The only thing it doesn't do, and I wished it would, is charge the Ipad via the lightning port while everything is connected and working.  Even when using an AC adapter.  Then it would be equal to the PlugKey for my needs.

Oh well....

I have an IK Duo Pro. I’m not near it now to double check my memory but I think what I did to solve the iPad charging shortcoming was to use the IK Duo Pro USB cable to an Apple Camera Kit adapter that has a female USB and female Lightning on one end and male Lightning on the other end. This provides connectivity for the IK Duo Pro USB cable (rather than its Lightning cable), a Lightning power supply for iPad charging, and connection to the iPad. I hope this makes sense and is helpful. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

I have an IK Duo Pro. I’m not near it now to double check my memory but I think what I did to solve the iPad charging shortcoming was to use the IK Duo Pro USB cable to an Apple Camera Kit adapter that has a female USB and female Lightning on one end and male Lightning on the other end. This provides connectivity for the IK Duo Pro USB cable (rather than its Lightning cable), a Lightning power supply for iPad charging, and connection to the iPad. I hope this makes sense and is helpful. 

Al, I've never seen or used an Apple Camera Kit, but sounds like it has possibilities.  I think I follow your logic.  I'll look into this.  Thank you!

A camera kit (sometimes a cheep 3rd party) A usb 2.0 powered hub and a sebrent sound adapter total under $50 is what I use to breakout of my iPad with 1 lighting port. I do have a bunch of other stuff like an audiofront midi expression box and other doodads that run up the cost but for basic essentials all I need is the 3 pieces listed and a midi keyboard preferably with 9 sliders.

I'm not saying the plugkey or duo thingy are bad just unnecessarily expensive and still don't have enough usb ports or expression ports for my gig.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Steve Beach said:

Al, I've never seen or used an Apple Camera Kit, but sounds like it has possibilities.  I think I follow your logic.  I'll look into this.  Thank you!

Al, I’ve ordered a camera adapter kit as you described. I’m confused. Where does the adapter get it’s power from in order to be able to charge my IPad mini 2?  The USB input?  Or do I also need an typical Apple charging block into the female lightning port?

Some CCK (camera connecting kit) have a usb A port AND lightning port on the big end of it. Some just have the usb A. If you got the one with the lightning charging port and usb A you run your normal charging cable and power wart into the lighting port and your midi accessories from the other one.

I've not had alot of luck charging my iPad while using the usb A port at the same time.

At best it won't keep but does slow the battery drain. At worst it acts wierd and sometimes just won't take the charge. I'm also using a powered hub and the iPad gets confused as to where the charge is coming from and stops accepting the juice.

But I get more than 4 or 5 hours of iPad time just from the battery if I use apps that aren't battery hogs.

B3x (in standalone), sunriser and ilectric piano together in AUM right now.

If you got a CCK with just the usb A then you unplug the CCK and plug in your normal charging set up. 

FunMachine.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I appreciate all of the tips about gizmos for iPad. Here are a few things that I've found useful when using iPad for tone generation.

1. Lightning extension cable. Makes up for the short cable on most adapters. Puts the adapter on the floor where it belongs.
  2. Belkin Audio + Charge Rockstar. 3.5mm stereo jack plus female Lightning charge port. Good when using MIDI over Bluetooth instead of USB cable.
  3. Sound Blaster Play! 3 dongle. 3.5mm audio IN and 3.5mm audio OUT to USB-A host connector. Not much bigger than a flash drive. 

I'll leave it to you to figure out how these might help you out. 🙂 None of these gizmos are very expensive.

-- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net

21 hours ago, Steve Beach said:

Al, I’ve ordered a camera adapter kit as you described. I’m confused. Where does the adapter get it’s power from in order to be able to charge my IPad mini 2?  The USB input?  Or do I also need an typical Apple charging block into the female lightning port?

A typical charging block plugs into the camera adapter kit via the female lightning port which then provides power to the iPad. Note that the power supply should be appropriately sized for the iPad charging requirements. For example using an iPhone power supply (or some other supply) might work but come up short on keeping the iPad charged. It’s the power supply’s Power rating in Watts that’s the relevant spec. An IPad power supply should work fine.

One word of advice:  Much as I hate to fork over money for more overpriced dongles from Apple- their camera kits have proven to be the most reliable.  Don't be tempted (As I have) to get those knock offs- they either get bricked by IOS updates, or they're unreliable. I have found genuine Apple open box deals on Ebay that are priced nice, and those have usually worked reliably across updates both on USB C on my Macbook and lighting for my  ipads. 

RE lighting adaptors going obsolete.  Haven't used my Plugkey in a while- have the latest IOS revisions completely killed it?   I wonder if  the most current Ipad is always needed? If you're running something like Korg Module, or even B3x - on a  dedicated lean (late lighting) Ipad with good memory can probably still handle it. 

It's a shame USB C to lighting adapters won't work with Plugkey for newer Ipads. 

I have a crazy Ipad setup I  still use with my quartet. It uses an Apple lighting to VGA dongle (with charger port) that feeds  two  cheap slim  12" VGA monitors.  One for my bass player  and other for  drummer. The monitors mirror my Igigbook screen.   We tried all kinds of ad-hoc wi-fi, apple TV, and other wireless solutions, but the hard-wired VGA setup has always worked great.  Use an older ipad for that setup-  for just reading charts it's fine.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Chris, I hear what you're saying about non-Apple adapters.  The one I bought had a 4.5 star rating with 4,000 reviews and it was only $20, so I tried it.  As per Al Quinn suggestion, I'm connecting to my Ipad Mini 2 now from IK Pro Duo to the USB port on the adapter.   The Ipad is charging as I write this using a 12wt block.  Everything seems to be coming together.  I'm running things like KORG Module Pro, ARP Oddysey, Solina strings, Korg M1, and GSI VB3m.   All controlled by an M-Audio Axiom M1 into my DAW workstation I-mac and Logic Pro.  

I'll make sure everything works as it should, then start looking for an IOS piano/rhodes app.  Something really good.

Thanks to everyone that replied on this thread.  You guys are life savers!  (-:

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 5:29 AM, clawback said:

Dave, I believe that’s a link to your account order, not the item. 

Sorry.  Here is the link…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0915B3NPY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

7 hours ago, Steve Beach said:

then start looking for an IOS piano/rhodes app. 

Rhodes: Neo Soul Keys Studio 2,  or for a cheap fix Scarbee rhodes eP-88 on Korg Module. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.