Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for House Is Rockin' Transcription

Cabo

Would anyone have a transcription of this song?   I have the basics, but if anyone has pulled together a transcription of the piano parts, I'd be very grateful.  

Thanks.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

No. The key is B concert but SRV downtunes a 1/2 step.  Reese played it in C.  It’s a pretty basic tune if you play it in C.  If you want a transcription in B I would play it in C then use the transpose feature in your transcription software or just transpose it in your head if you can. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've played this tune for years, I play in C (it was easier than learning the lead in B).  Never transcribed the piano.  Just listened and learned.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I know it's tempting to jump on this, but take another look at/listen to Reese Wynan's piano performance. That's some bad-ass boogie playing. I can understand wanting to cop that part, or at least know what you're trying to get close to.

Here's how to play that short solo: https://piano-ology.com/pop-rock-school-the-house-is-rockin-piano-solo/

As for this intro, whatever key you're in, your groove basically puts an inversion of the IV chord on the 2 and 4 of each measure, with the root-7 on the 1 and 3 of each measure. So you're playing I7  IV/I  I7  IV/1 as a basic groove. In B that's B7  E/B  B7  E/B, etc. And really, you're hammering 8ths, so you're playing each one of those twice: B7-B7  E/B-E/B  B7-B7  E/B-E/B.

To hit the walkdown, you can look for inversions of each of those chords that puts the top notes descending close to each other. It's a little bit like the walkdown riff in Will It Go Round in Circles in that sense--just keep inverting those I7 and IV chords in their respective spots in the groove and making the "next highest note" of the chord, the top note. 

Good luck!

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

3 hours ago, CEB said:

No. The key is B concert but SRV downtunes a 1/2 step.  Reese played it in C.  It’s a pretty basic tune if you play it in C.  If you want a transcription in B I would play it in C then use the transpose feature in your transcription software or just transpose it in your head if you can. 

Thanks CEB -- that's very helpful.   Playing those runs C is much easier.  

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

Yes I emailed Reese about that years ago - he used the transpose button on his digital piano, probably a Roland RD-300. If it’s fine for the Stevie to transpose his guitar…

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I've seen some concert videos where Reese is playing the transposed digital piano at the same time as the (obviously non-transposed) B3. So, on a tune like "Tightrope" with both instruments playing at the same time, he's essentially playing in two different keys at once😲!

• Like 1

While it certainly makes me feel better to know that people of his calibre still find certain things easier to play in certain keys, I'm curious: at the point where you're playing the song in the "proper" key anyway (as with the B3), at that point why not do the whole thing that way?

Having said that, one of my weird, random, and generally useless abilities is that I have literally no trouble at all playing in one key in one hand and another in the other. It usually happens where I've used the Magic Enchangerator button on one board, but realize it would sound good with something that needs to happen on the second board, which I haven't Magic Enchangerated. For whatever reason--broken circuitry in my brain, probably--I don't find this difficult at all. It's no different than playing different notes or rhythms in each hand. I don't know why.

I'm not even very strong at two-hand independence, at least beyond the rudiments. I just seem to be able to tell myself, in this one exact context, that RH is playing in Bb and LH is playing in B, and my brain goes, "Ok, cool!" and never thinks twice about it. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com