Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your eyes? (as OT as you make it)

hurricane hugo

Yeah, so what are you watching these days, and no, I don't mean you watching your hott neighbor thru your binoculars. Movies, tv shows, sporting events, livestreams, whatever. Maybe music related, maybe not. If you think it's worth telling the rest of us about, feel free to do so here. I'm going to kick this off with a documentary.

• Like 3

I actually watch very little TV these days. I am liking silence in the house as much as possible (unless I'm a pickin and a grinnin).Then I pollute the sound-waves en la casa with my guitar noises.:rocker:🤣 and my vocal croak's.😇

• Like 3

Netflix standup comedy like Bill Burr, Dave Chapel, and series like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Peaky Blinders and movies like Queen's Gambit, The Other Guys, and funny re-runs like Seinfeld, Honey Mooners, Friends, Big Bang Theory, etc. Not a big TV watcher just focus in on stuff of interest now and then. Home movies once a year or so: Unforgiven, Sling Blade, Falling Down, My Cousin Vinny, Christmas Vacation, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Tombstone, Justified, Deadwood, etc.  Like DBM +1, I like to just make my own music around the house... 😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

I miss the Benny Hill Show, the Gong Show and Married with Children. 

I haven't owned a television for decades. 

Once in a while I'll watch a bit of YouTube, there's concert footage of Joni Mitchell with a stellar band and I can always take another shot of Jeff Beck's stellar guitar work. 

Wildlife, I probably watch 3 or 4 times a year. Animals are honest but not always nice. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My favorite visuals tend to come from my gardening. I have a BIG back yard, that I've planted with enough Perennials, Biennials, and Flowering Shrubs that the color palette is constantly changing, from Spring through late Fall. When I get home from my work day, after I take a shower and put on clean clothes, I go sit out in my yard with my dogs.

We also get a family regular run of rainbows outside my front door, no joke. If we get a mid-afternoon shower, that's breaking up or moving out around early evening, the angle of the Sun is such that we can usually spot a rainbow by looking Southeast.

As far as mass media, Science-Fiction and Horror fan here, so . . .

Lately, I've been enjoying Netflix' "Sandman" - only took 30+ years for someone to get around to it, but WTH?

I do watch the local news every evening, partly to see how the next day's weather is going to impact my work day.

• Like 5

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

8 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

Lately, I've been enjoying Netflix' "Sandman" - only took 30+ years for someone to get around to it, but WTH?

Hey! Cool. Elizabeth and I started viewing that last night. Not having gotten around to reading those before, it's even more a treat to watch this series without knowing a lot in advance...

Now... Dig this. The song is wonderful, and the entire band is so on-point and soulful; and Derek's playing and tone and playing for the song here are fantastic all-around, particularly fiery at times, even for him.

However, take a close look (see how this dovetails into the Thread Topic in more than one way? ;)) at just how he's playing some occasional jarring, wild parts in his soloing; one such part occurs around 4:13, though it's neither the first or only time he makes this happen. I became aware of this video of a fairly recent performance due to people on Facebook being stumped as to just how he was achieving this, many assuming it was use of a pedal like an octave-fuzz, and/or playing at the (imaginary) 24th-Fret position and letting behind-the-slide strings ring out, etc. etc. 

My reply to them:

Derek's just slanting his slide and/or pressing down hard with it just enough, with his volume-knobs all the way up going into a cranked, overdriven tube-amp (he rides those volume-knobs constantly to adjust the clean-to-mean ratio), that some of the notes within what he's playing are more 'out of tune' with each other, to causer that jarring dissonance. It's like 'beats' when two notes are out-of-tune with one another.

Note that, while watching the video closely, that sound seems to only occur when he's (A) playing more than one note simultaneously (usually three or four, but at least two), and (B) he's slanting that slide and digging-in. It's not always on/around that imaginary '24th Fret', either.

(Further note that there are times when he's reaching for high notes by slanting his slide, that they're single notes- and sound straight and almost 'clean'.)

I do not think that any pedals are involved there at all. I think that it's all deft touch, articulation, and deliberate fiery attitude.

Enjoy...

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I just got one of these last month, and since summer doesn't last very long here in Michigan, I've been out riding this about two or three times each week.  In fact, I just got the oil changed today, so in less than three hours I will be headed out to Union Lake, to go ride around that lake.  And probably Saturday morning, I will go out on Lake Erie and hopefully hit the top speed of 53 mph, assuming the waves will be cooperating.  As far as watching tv, I pretty much watch Big Bang Theory reruns and the news.

2000000009.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2
I rock; therefore, I am.

Sharkman, truck that thing out to Mavericks at Half Moon Bay in central California, and ride those huge waves. (just kidding man, those waves are huge like 40' and up when breaking big. Ain't that right @Larryz) Anyways have fun with the new Wave Runner. Looks way cool.👍

See the Maverics break below in replies

• Like 3

1 hour ago, desertbluesman said:

Sharkman, truck that thing out to Mavericks at Half Moon Bay in central California, and ride those huge waves. (just kidding man, those waves are huge like 40' and up when breaking big. Ain't that right @Larryz) Anyways have fun with the new Wave Runner. Looks way cool.👍

See the Maverics break below in replies

One word reply:  No.

Two word reply:  Hell no.

Three word reply:  No bleeping way!

I was supposed to go out to a nearby lake today, but some mid afternoon thunderstorms popped up out of nowhere.  I have been called many things in my life, but human lightning rod isn't one of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

Not for the faint of heart. 

Mark Sheldon Foo from Hawaii was a professional surfer who favored big wave surfing. Foo drowned while surfing at Mavericks, Half Moon Bay, California, in 1994. That is a true story surfergirl

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Sharkman said:

One word reply:  No.

Two word reply:  Hell no.

Three word reply:  No bleeping way!

I was supposed to go out to a nearby lake today, but some mid afternoon thunderstorms popped up out of nowhere.  I have been called many things in my life, but human lightning rod isn't one of them.

Just kidding amigo.

Although I did surf some big (for me) double overhead waves in Cardiff By The Sea California back in the late 70's it was pretty scary paddling out into the drop zone, riding the waves was not near as scary as it was when paddling out at Cardiff Reef (beach break) when the waves were big.

Mavericks is pretty far out to sea I seem to remember. Mostly surfers get towed out with wave runners to Mavericks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, desertbluesman said:

Mark Sheldon Foo from Hawaii was a professional surfer who favored big wave surfing. Foo drowned while surfing at Mavericks, Half Moon Bay, California, in 1994. That is a true story surfergirl

We hear stories about him, he's a legend. One or two feet overhead at Backdoor is about if for me. Mostly I stay around Hale'iwa Alii. 

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

+1,000 DBM, Mavericks is a very special place north of SF that attracts the best surfers in the world for big wave surfing contests each year.  Well above my paygrade in the danger department LoL!   The furthest north for me was the areas around Santa Cruz.  The furthest south was Pismo. Most of my surfing was back in high school where we could light a fire on the beach and spend the night playing guitars and bongos! My buddy and I both had 9' O'Neal boards on 4' waves so there was very little danger and a whole lot of fun partying... 😎👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

16 hours ago, Larryz said:

+1,000 DBM, Mavericks is a very special place north of SF that attracts the best surfers in the world for big wave surfing contests each year.  Well above my paygrade in the danger department LoL!   The furthest north for me was the areas around Santa Cruz.  The furthest south was Pismo. Most of my surfing was back in high school where we could light a fire on the beach and spend the night playing guitars and bongos! My buddy and I both had 9' O'Neal boards on 4' waves so there was very little danger and a whole lot of fun partying... 😎👍

I surfed Twin Fins at 6'-4" or so pointed round tail with little wingers. Later on three fins at about the same length, pointed round tail with little wingers. I did have one little gun single fin pointed round tail with small wingers at about 8 feet (Maybe the wingers, can't remember for sure) I used to surf pretty nice waves with the three fin boards to 3 or 4 feet overhead. The biggest waves I ever surfed were double overhead at Cardiff Reef, at the river mouth area. about 20 miles north of San Diego.

I did surf Blacks beach in San Diego (trying to look at the naked women that used to sun there) and at Point Loma in San Diego at the very southern tip, the surfers called that break Ralphs. On a big south swell it was a nice hollow right point break that lasted for hundreds of yards. One day I was sitting there in the lineup and one of the giant navy ships was coming out from the Navy base aimed right at me Of course I was startled until I remembered that where I was sitting waiting for the sets, was only in 6 feet of water. Then it turned south a bit it did come withing about fifty yards from where I was sitting on my board. And the water vibrated with the noises the ship was making.

• Like 2

I also liked Trestles at San Onofre State Beach which was just above the Camp Pendelton Marine base. That was a fun break. We did surf Shell Beach just a little above Pismo one time. Mostly I stayed in North San Diego county surfing around Cardiff By The Sea (much of the time), also Solana Beach, Carlsbad, Oceanside, Lucadia, Del Mar, La Jolla.

• Like 2

DBM, My granddaughter at age 11 just took her 1st lesson a week ago on a family vacation up to Oregon.  I didn't even know they surfed up there, but they sent me a video of her getting up on her 1st ride!  Very cool trip she will remember for a long long time. I was 13 on my 1st trip out trying to learn.  At a little beach on Hwy 1 named Refugio.  It's been in my memory ever since!  My last trip was at the age of 40 taking my son age 13 for his 1st trip out at Pismo. I rented a 6' something board at the local surf shop.  Too many locals at the Pier so I drove him down the beach about 5 or 6 miles, so we had some privacy and some great fun LoL! 😎👍

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

What's in my eyes? I don't own a tv, but I have a portable dvd player. I have a few dvds, Concert for George, Last Man Standing, Norah Jones Austin City Limits and Marianne Faithful. I watch some of my high school football and basketball games and Little League Baseball.  

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

I'm a sucker for the Astrum videos on YouTube that have stunning footage of interplanetary fly-bys - Jupiter, asteroids, Pluto, Mars, etc. I had no idea the images were so detailed! And I didn't realize that you could see Pluto's effing moons up close and personal.

Amazing stuff, although it's a little depressing to realize how fast we've de-evolved into a world where the sense of wonder and curiosity that made this kind of venture possible seems close to extinction.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Anderton said:

Amazing stuff, although it's a little depressing to realize how fast we've de-evolved into a world where the sense of wonder and curiosity that made this kind of venture possible seems close to extinction.

🙁

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

14 hours ago, Larryz said:

DBM, My granddaughter at age 11 just took her 1st lesson a week ago on a family vacation up to Oregon.  I didn't even know they surfed up there, but they sent me a video of her getting up on her 1st ride!  Very cool trip she will remember for a long long time. I was 13 on my 1st trip out trying to learn.  At a little beach on Hwy 1 named Refugio.  It's been in my memory ever since!  My last trip was at the age of 40 taking my son age 13 for his 1st trip out at Pismo. I rented a 6' something board at the local surf shop.  Too many locals at the Pier so I drove him down the beach about 5 or 6 miles, so we had some privacy and some great fun LoL! 😎👍

I got my first ride at Kill Devil Hills (Where the Wright Brothers made the first powered airplane flight) Then down to Buxton in Cape Hatteras at the lighthouse (The Lighthouse was the premiere break in Hatteras). From there to Kawaii, Hawaii, and the California coast.

Also at Wooden Jetty on Long Beach Island, Coffee Shop was the premiere break on LBI, I surfed it but it was always crowded, so I usually surfed my home break on LBI, 14th to 16th Street in Ship Bottom. The 15th street Ship Bottom Break had this shipwreck sticking out of the sand so it was not usable for swimmers so we could surf that anytime as long as we stayed between the flags.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Here is my go to board a 5'5" Pyzel mini ghost. I surf Hale'iwa Alii about 80% of the time. I learned there and can ride my bike. 

This was taken at the Pyzel factory at the Old Sugar Mill.

Three fin surfergirl? Looks way cool, similar to what I was riding back in the day.

• Like 2

OT?  Not really...to play some surf guitar all you need is a keg of beer, lots of syrupy reverb, 2 guitars bass and drums, Dick Dale Ventures and Beach Boy music, and take it from there!  Here's a video I love watching and have posted a few times that puts it back in perspective with my favorite Pipeline tune:

• Like 3
  • Cool 1
Take care, Larryz

2 minutes ago, Larryz said:

OT?  Not really...to play some surf guitar all you need is a keg of beer, lots of syrupy reverb, 2 guitars bass and drums, Dick Dale Ventures and Beach Boy music, and take it from there!  Here's a video I love watching and have posted a few times that puts it back in perspective with my favorite Pipeline tune:

Don't forget Tremolo!!! 🤔😬

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.