Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you get annoyed by sampled Hammond?

I'm a heathen in this matter, with a curtailed right to speak because I don't really ride the drawbars. That's the biggest dividing line, TBH.

Logic's Vintage B3 is plenty for me, as I happily recall getting several hours at a B3 with a Leslie. I can never forget the sheer power zappin' through my loins! 😮 It was a wonderful feeling. As a partial result, I know enough to get the key click I like and etc. Its one of the world's best additive synths, so I dust it with small doses of distortion, delay and reverb to make the voice stand out.

There are many ways to apply it, but when its not upfront and growling, Richard Wright is probably my main guiding light. He knew how to put his sound under and around the band just right. Between his pads and call-&-response moments, he was a living testament to serving the song.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

It's a tough emulation to nail.  But the great ones are really great.  There are quite a few different top end options right now too.

To name a few:

- The Logic Pro X organ

- Nord organs (in their keyboard)

- UAD (universal audio) has a new organ VST and it sounds great. 

- There is a Hammond clone for IOS 👌🏾💪🏾

- GSI VB3

- Kronos CX3 engine (also in Nautilus)

• Like 1

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

6 hours ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

It's a tough emulation to nail.  But the great ones are really great.  There are quite a few different top end options right now too.

To name a few:

- Kronos CX3 engine (also in Nautilus)

Something about that really bugged me when I played a Kronos for a while. Not because it was bad, but… I just couldn't find a way to make it likable. Too…"clinical" maybe? 

The best hardware emulation on the market currently is the Uhl HX3, btw. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

As far as I have witnessed none of the mentioned simulations have accurate digital inter-sample integral processing, sol that apart from some general cartoon-like simulation elements being recognizable and playable, the warmth and subtly powerful Hammond+Leslie sound is far, far off, even if you put a 100Watts+ full range power to the sound. Good test: how many dBs are you listening to when playing these sims?

T

On 8/17/2022 at 12:43 PM, Theo Verelst said:

As far as I have witnessed none of the mentioned simulations have accurate digital inter-sample integral processing

I have no idea what this means. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On 8/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, mate stubb said:

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Aside from the harmonic beating between notes inherent in sampler engines, percussion and CV will be completely wrong, as will key click.

The subject of harmonic beating came up on the Hammond Mailing list in 1994. I had a Voce Micro-B that did it.  Keyboard Magazine identified the Hammond XB2 and the Roland VK-1000 also.  Those clonewheels used equal-ish temperament tuning for the fundamental tones but derived their associated drawbar frequencies using the natural harmonics of each fundamental. Later simulations that use 91 seperate tone generators for all frequencies will not have harmonic beating.

For those that aren't familiar with it, play two notes a fifth apart at this drawbar setting: 088000000. Here's an example of the resulting frequencies generated when playing A2 and E3 on a clonewheel with equal temperament fundamentals and natural harmonic drawbar frequencies:

A2-DB3 = 440 Hz
A2-DB2 = 660 Hz
E3-DB3 = 659.255 Hz
E3-DB2 = 987.767 Hz

The A2-DB2 and E3-DB3 have a 0.745 Hz difference. Under the right conditions, this can be audible.

Here's a wrinkle though -- even with a Hammond or 91 generator clonewheel, harmonic beating is theoretically possible when the output is distorted.  Distortion generates natural harmonics!  However, I doubt it could be heard through the din and roar of a Hammond and Leslie at full song.

I think the fact that Keyboard Magazine reported it as an issue shows that there was an awareness about it in the clonewheel playing public.  The clonewheel makers may have taken notice and changed the generator architecture to eliminate the artifact.  Whether or not it was even audible, it could have been viewed as a deficiency when compared against a competitor's product that did not exhibit the beating.

Re. the OP: I'm annoyed if it sounds like a thing trying to sound like a Hammond/Leslie but failing.

• Like 3