Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig bag for column stand with gear attached?

I've got an Ultimate Support column stand that I have attached my mini-PC, surge protector, and various AC plug blocks and USB cables in a semi-permanent fashion.  The easiest way for me to fit all this on the stand was to remove the handle that is used to carry it.  I would love to find a big gig bag I could use to safely store and transport this thing.  It is about 4 feet high.  Does anyone else do something similar and have a good carrying method?  I am imaging the aluminum stand working as a heat sink for the power adapters and desktop computers strapped to it.

Here is a picture of my stand so you have an idea.  Its all attached with velcro and nylon straps.  The keyboards and the shelf will be removed for transport.

20220616_131058.thumb.jpg.24631f1da4eedc42c581731870b44e0c.jpg

4 hours ago, mythias said:

I've got an Ultimate Support column stand. The easiest way for me to fit all this on the stand was to remove the handle that is used to carry it.

20220616_131058.thumb.jpg.24631f1da4eedc42c581731870b44e0c.jpg

G'day mate.

You gave me pause to chuckle a bit when you said about removing the handle. They would remove themselves whether you wanted it to or not. Hee hee

That was my number one gripe about the original version of this stand (i had one of the first in Aussie) in that the handle broke very early in its life. Hee hee.

Once broken it was akin to carrying a Bazooka.

Number 2 gripe was the legs would continually slide out while carrying it. So even if the handle worked you find the legs sliding out.

It was like continually replacing the front toe strap plug on your Thongs (Flip Flops to non Aussies).

You'd have to stop your progress and reach down and slide the legs back in hoping the spring might just grab long enough to get you to the stage before tripping you up

Otherwise i loved my "Bazooka" stand. I figure those problems would be addressed by now in any modern versions.

With all the extra gizmos you have contected I'd look at perhaps a lighting truss bag. They are large and can handle weight.

Or large microphone stand bag for carrying multiple mic stands again strong option.

Or drummer bag for drum truss and cymbal stands might be usable.

Good luck

• Haha 1

I’ve had the original and now have the current version of that stand. The bag that Ultimate provides with the stand is not strong enough to gig with unless you’re careful. I suggest you find the strongest available fabric and find someone who knows how to sew., or give it a go yourself. You’ll need a full length zipper of course. 
Good luck.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

You may want to try looking at lighting/photography transport bags.  They make large ones with foam inside that may fit that gear-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

My first thought is to find an upholstery shop and see if you can get something custom made. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

How about using one of those hard-case telescoping (2-piece) cases used to ship golf clubs?

You might be able to find one used on fleabay or Clist...  They would be about the right size and provide a lot of protection.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Some great ideas folks, thanks very much.  I particularly liked the idea of a golf bag.  Being able to roll it around and also use the bag's pockets for things would be nice and they are.  Or a hard case.  I do not fly or really travel with my gear except in my car to local clubs so I don't need to get too fancy with it but I don't want to have to wrap my arms around it and carry it bodily into the venue if I can help it.

I am going to start scrounging my local Goodwill type shops and see what I can come up with.

I use microphone/tripod  speaker stand bags. I started buying the cheapest ones because they  ultimately :)  end up getting torn, zippers break etc.  

https://smile.amazon.com/Gator-Interior-Microphone-Lighting-GPA-SPKSTDBG-50/dp/B001IM5KFY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2V2BE562ADSBU&keywords=speaker%2Bstand%2Bbag&qid=1655505958&sprefix=speaker%2Bstand%2Bbag%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-5&th=1

As to goodwill, I often see those SKB hardshell cases for golf clubs, they work great for mic stands, but can be a little unwieldy, especially if you're only carrying 5-6. I buy them  anyway whenever I see them, and gift them to my drummer friends.  They're perfect for drum hardware, unfortunately not tall enough for the apex.

I'm still using my early 2k era Apex, back when they used to provide free replacement parts.  I haven't seen the handle since 2008 and  also repainted mine a few times when it gets ratty. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

obxa: Thanks so much for that link.  I am going to buy a 58" version right now.  My stand is just about 50 inches but I would rather have some spare room for a few more dollars.  I have a gig bag for my Roland A-88 from the same company and was very pleased with its price and construction.  If it doesn't work out it was only $30 and I am sure I can find a use for it.

3 hours ago, mythias said:

obxa: Thanks so much for that link.  I am going to buy a 58" version right now.  My stand is just about 50 inches but I would rather have some spare room for a few more dollars.  I have a gig bag for my Roland A-88 from the same company and was very pleased with its price and construction.  If it doesn't work out it was only $30 and I am sure I can find a use for it.

You bet- this is another one that I really liked because it was more canvas like,but the zipper broke after about a year's use.  

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-speaker-stand-bag

BTW A drummer friend suggested taking my garage graveyard of gig bags to a tailor to see if they can repair the zippers.  He had his done on his soft drum bags, but I wonder has anyone else ever done this on keyboard cases??? 

Also had to laugh reading Aussie Keys post.  So true!...  I still think they're the best stand for standing.   Unfortunately they start out great and then become a musician's nightmare with those aluminum things that "hold" the legs during travel bending  & becoming razor sharp, and those plastic knobs and cable clips always snapping off. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I used an Apex stand for years and the comments about the handles, the arms falling out and the sharpness of the folding legs are all on point. Mine came to me "pre-used" so I didn't worry too much about protecting it for local gigs.

I am, by nature a case freak so I went looking for a better transport solution. I don't know if it would work with your computer needs, but on the whole ski bags seemed better construction than the normal range of gig bags. But of course they cost more than a gig bag.

If you are on a road tour the ultimate protection would be a roto molded motion picture/video style tripod case. Generally indestructible unless someone backs a truck over it.spacer.png

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10