Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer UB-XA in the wild

17 hours ago, Stokely said:

As said by Chazkeys above...once Nick Batt, Starsky Carr, Loopop and similar reviewers get a hold of it we'll know all there is to know.  I especially like the ones where they try to match patches, it really shows the strengths (and limitations) of each synth.

I think for a synth like this all it will take is for someone like Nick Batt to strip everything back to a naked saw wave, open the filter, tweak the resonance, and we'll know whether it might be worth the hoopla. Pan the voices across the stereo spectrum, play a triad, and we're done.  Either it sounds awesome, or it's the little engine that couldn't.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

25 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

^ Wow that’s so lush!!! I want it!

Your Hydrasynth can sound better.😎

• Love 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

52 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

Wow that’s so lush!!! I want it!

the "lower tier" OB-Xa is powered up.

Maybe we hear that while he plays it via MIDI from UB-Xa keyboard ... 🤔

In these fake news times, everything is possible.

A.C.

Look, we can claim that the fault is the demonstrator or that it’s YouTube’s compression scheme or whatever, but the thing simply does not sound like an Oberheim. I am working on a 1974 Minimoog and even though it isn’t 100% fully functional, hearing those iconic oscillators and the discrete ladder filter is like nothing else. THAT’S the sound and it translates even when subjected to lossy compression (go to my Facebook page to see a video of me playing it as proof). Likewise, turning on my OB8 at home gives you THAT sound. Hearing the OB-X8 is hearing THAT sound. The Behringer sounds nothing like that.

• Like 1

Meh.  The last demo sounded better because it was the earlier prototype before the bean counters cheapened the production product to hit margin.  I see this a lot in amp production.

The Anderton demo is the one I would give credence to.  It's a production model.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Assuming the Andertons guy was correct about MPE and polyphonic aftertouch being onboard,  I could see people (not including myself) buying it, then using it as a controller for Cherry Audio/Arturia OB softsynths.  😁

Those people are unlikely to be deterred by the authenticity of the sound compared to vintage Oberheims, or lack thereof 

This is almost as good as the drama over Jupiter-X.  ACB accuracy vs. ABM polyphony. Expensive box with a cheap action running Cloud plugins and ROMpler sounds.  

UB-XA, bad demo, bad recording or bad synth?  Early access beta testers doing damage control for Uli after what is possibly a production model gets a chilly reception at its virgin outing.  

Way more interesting than who is fouling a spouse’s bed in sin city!  😉

:popcorn:  

• Haha 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I wonder if it is more difficult to clone hardware with hardware (using components available today)… Or to clone hardware with software (via sampling, modeling or some combination of the two)?   

I also wonder if it is unethical to write software that intends to sound like an Oberheim OB-Xa, copy its features, functionality, aesthetics, etc.  Call it OB-Xa V or more coyly something like OP-X and sell it for $149.

Is it just as or more unethical to clone the hardware, call it UB-XA and sell it for $1500? 

What if the software company employed local programmers and then as they got larger and more successful decided to cut costs and use cheap labor in Asia?  Does that change how one feels about the software?  Uninstall and take business elsewhere?  

39 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

All respect to EJF, I was referring to the Moog Mini Moog reissue compared to the original Moog Mini Moog,

not the many other companies trying to re create that synth.

😊 I realize.  Just playing the devil’s advocate so to speak.  Given Behringer’s apparent success in cloning Moog’s D, I would be (and perhaps I am)  surprised they can’t get strikingly close to the OB-Xa - given that was the goal.  Unless, as CEB suggests, price point supersedes components and time/resources.  

Disclaimer - I don’t own any Behringer synths, or guitar pedals.  Once, many years ago, I bought a 1/4” patchbay.  

“We're super excited about our upcoming UB-Xa analog flagship synth. With 16 authentic VCO/VCF voices based on the original 3340/3320 circuitry, multi-timbrality, poly aftertouch and Midi Polyphonic Expression (MPE), and many more unannounced features, we spent more than 4 years of meticulous engineering and innovation plus millions of dollars to design this beautiful instrument.
This now paves the way for many more poly synthesizers to come - all in line with Uli's vision to make incredible instruments available for everyone. We're obsessed and probably a bit crazy about synths, but nothing is more meaningful and enjoyable.

Thank you for all your patience and support. We know it has taken much longer than expected, but you all inspire us to keep going as you're the reason why we exist.

Collaborate with our synth developers, share your ideas and get a chance to win free synthesizers by participating in our activities at our “Synthesizer and Drums Behringer Music Tribe" FB Group. We’d love to see you there! https://www.facebook.com/groups/KeysandDrumsBehringerMusicTribe/ If you are a passionate and experienced mixed architecture hardware or embedded software engineer and would like to join the leading musical instrument team, please send your resume to joinus@musictribe.com. #WeHearYou #behringer #MusicTribe #synthesizer #synthesizers #drummachines”

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

“....we spent more than 4 years of meticulous engineering and innovation plus millions of dollars to design this beautiful instrument.
This now paves the way for many more poly synthesizers to come..

They should seriously consider removing this statement. It's way too pretentious.

Their design isn't original. The poly synth road was paved over 40 years ago. It has been well traveled by several manufacturers who have actually come up with original designs and instruments.

Shameless is an understatement when it comes to this company. Mind-boggling that they get away with it. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

15 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I wonder if it is more difficult to clone hardware with hardware (using components available today)… Or to clone hardware with software (via sampling, modeling or some combination of the two)?   

I also wonder if it is unethical to write software that intends to sound like an Oberheim OB-Xa, copy its features, functionality, aesthetics, etc.  Call it OB-Xa V or more coyly something like OP-X and sell it for $149.

Is it just as or more unethical to clone the hardware, call it UB-XA and sell it for $1500? 

What if the software company employed local programmers and then as they got larger and more successful decided to cut costs and use cheap labor in Asia?  Does that change how one feels about the software?  Uninstall and take business elsewhere?  

I don't have a problem with hardware or software clones if they have the approval of the people who made the original.

I use GForce OB-E V2:   https://musictech.com/news/tom-oberheim-gforce-software-join-forces-ob-e-v2/

If the people who made the original have abandoned it, the patent time has expired, and they have no interest in doing it again,

I don't see a real problem there either.

As to the Asia question, you're assuming first of all, that the software didn't originate there - some does.

I do have a problem with offshoring jobs to increase profit for the owners at the expense of the workers though.

And for the OB-X8/UB-Xa thing - I don't know enough about the behind-the-scenes interactions between the two companies to comment on that.

I don't plan on getting either one.  I'm good with what I have.

Their design isn't original. The poly synth road was paved over 40 years ago. It has been well traveled by several manufacturers who have actually come up with original designs and instruments.

Ah, I see what you are saying there.  Perhaps, 4 years trying to recreate a classic using materials we can get our hands on today.  

The Music Tribe statement definitely suggests that none of these we have been shown on the YouTube are production units.  

If when Jack said under 1500 USD comes to mean $1499.99 there is no way I would choose this over a Prophet Rev-2.  I would come up with the extra change.

16 minutes ago, CEB said:

If when Jack said under 1500 USD comes to mean $1499.99 there is no way I would choose this over a Prophet Rev-2.  I would come up with the extra change.

Sure and of course, VERY close to this price point is Sequential's Take 5.  

Now that Tom/Focusrite have the X8 - top tier instrument out... I would love to see them address the sub $2k market with a real Oberheim. 

Take 5 is a high dollar Gaia.  A very nice Gaia but a "player" shouldn't  waste rig space on a poly with only 44 keys and only 5 voices.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CEB said:

Take 5 is a high dollar Gaia.  A very nice Gaia but a "player" shouldn't  waste rig space on a poly with only 44 keys and only 5 voices.   

The take 5 definitely eludes to the difficulties Dave faces when trying to provide a poly synth, a player’s synth that works in most of our budgets.