Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer UB-XA in the wild

I lived through the analog boom and was playing full time in the 80's with a stack of analog polyphonics. Have no desire to go back to that. I'll take a Jupiter X or Juno X any day. They sound good, stay in tune, and I trust that they will continue to perform well over the years. 

The problem I have with Behringer remakes is sometimes they are too true to spec and he can focus on the strangest things, like putting S-trig on desktops and modules because the originals used S-Trig. I wish he would move forward with some of these designs. 

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

763371BD-59CB-44B4-8A5E-49E6402A1CC8.thumb.jpeg.25b69ecafb47a7e0304258b5a58569bb.jpeg

Apparently some critical of Anderton’s hands on demo.  I’ve watched quite a few of Jack’s demos.   He’s said on a few occasions he’s not really a synth guy the way others might be.   I did enjoy his hands on with the Udo Super 6.  But you can’t nail it every time. Looking forward to a deeper look at the UB-XA, pros, cons and otherwise.  

• Haha 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 5/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, Jim Alfredson said:

Nobody is going to say it? It sounds awful. Not even close to the warm richness that is the hallmark of Oberheim synths. It sounds like a cheap plug-in from 2003. 

image.png.43ca0c4cbf8f6f15ef0764a943ee4f68.png

On 5/16/2022 at 1:08 AM, CyberGene said:

I think the guy from Andertons has a specific style of playing that suits mostly R&B and the likes but that is something the OB sound is not famous for. He plays palm smears and staccatos after all 🧐 That’s Hammond technique not exactly working for polysynths. He should have demonstrated long brass swells instead. 

Jack is an excellent player, who works with some big names in the UK - I spend more time than I care to admit watching his videos. If he can't make it sound good, that is a big red flag.
Meanwhile, the amazing sounds coming out of that probably-not-coincidentally-timed New Oberheim video where the cat is just playing simple triads...

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

31 minutes ago, Aynsley Green said:

image.png.43ca0c4cbf8f6f15ef0764a943ee4f68.png

Jack is an excellent player, who works with some big names in the UK - I spend more time than I care to admit watching his videos. If he can't make it sound good, that is a big red flag.
Meanwhile, the amazing sounds coming out of that probably-not-coincidentally-timed New Oberheim video where the cat is just playing simple triads...

This is true.  But that instrument is not even in the same league based on price point alone.  

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

This is true.  But that instrument is not even in the same league based on price point alone.  

True. But to spend 3+ years spinning the hype machine into overdrive with your 'Oberheim clone' and then coming out with something not even vaguely near the real deal is a bit cheeky, regardless of price point, and especially since Behringer have come out with a some respectable clones in recent years.
But the Behringer fanbois are already out in full force, the poor lost souls:

image.png.80656b92e30d8b69914c80381a42629e.png

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

I'll stick up for Jack Duxbury. I don't know and never met him and probably never will but I've seen a Capt meets Jack interview and the guy has played huge crowds for the top British acts at the time and I think his keyboard chops are better than about 80% of the other youtube reviewers.

But chops aren't the purpose of those videos, and it's his entertaining delivery of the info that gets me to look in every once in awhile.

If that ubxa wasn't touted as an oberheim clone I think it wouldn't get such harsh criticism but behringer made a bold claim with an impossible bar to get over and their clone would have to twice as great as the original just to get grudging acceptance. 

FunMachine.

44 minutes ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

I'll stick up for Jack Duxbury. I don't know and never met him and probably never will but I've seen a Capt meets Jack interview and the guy has played huge crowds for the top British acts at the time and I think his keyboard chops are better than about 80% of the other youtube reviewers.

But chops aren't the purpose of those videos, and it's his entertaining delivery of the info that gets me to look in every once in awhile.

If that ubxa wasn't touted as an oberheim clone I think it wouldn't get such harsh criticism but behringer made a bold claim with an impossible bar to get over and their clone would have to twice as great as the original just to get grudging acceptance. 

Then perhaps Behringer shouldn't make such bold claims in the first place to create controversy? This pipe dream that we can have supposedly 1:1 analog clones for suspiciously little money has always been fishy to me. A bit like these San Martin clones of Rolexes or Tudors or Audemar Piguets - yeah, they might tick all the boxes on paper, but surely corners have been cut somewhere, just under the surface. There's just something off about the whole endeavour.

4 minutes ago, Aynsley Green said:

There's just something off about the whole endeavour.

I couldn't agree more. 

There's a long conversation to be had about this, and I'm beginning to have this conversation with more of my peers, colleagues, and friends. It has changed my convictions about how I teach, what I teach, and what the purpose of my day job should be about. 

Coincidentally, this little conversation about Behringer's UB-XA and Tom's new OB-8 (and even my Sequential OB6) is noteworthy in the larger dialogue.

Yes Jack Duxbury is a good keys player but we are going to have to wait until Nick Batt, Starsky Carr, Loopop et al release their demos.

Creating an OB-Xa voice should be relatively easy given that the whole architecture is based on Curtis chips. You still have to get the supporting circuitry right and as Elmer alludes to earlier in regards to biasing etc. that could be the problem. That said I have the Pro 1 which used the CEM3340 VCOs and the 3320 VCF and it sounds good - long time since I played the original. Plenty of good reviews though.  I also have a Neutron and the the 3340s in that sound really good - a bit more 'energy' and depth than the Pro 1s. I also built a modular based on CEMs in the 80s and the sound was outstanding. 

Behringer have updated their clones with the addition of MIDI and USB while trying to stay close to the original. They do depart from the originals though. Like adding a step sequencer and effects to the Odyssey (but kept the pressure pads :( ). On the Model D they also added a high pass filter and most of them have a good selection of patch points. Poly chain is a very clever idea and allows you to create your own 'poly synth'. This would be the plan with the 2X-M SEM clone if it ever gets released.

If Oberheim are sourcing their CEMs from OnChip (Curtis) are there some slight differences with CoolAudio chips (used in Behringer synths)? And when you are using 5/6 per voice the differences might stack up.  The addition of Vintage Mode on the OB-6 and P6 shows what can be done in firmware too. That really does add some 'magic' to a patch. 

Could be a while before we see this in the shops. An even longer wait for 16 voice Prophet 5! Software nightmare calibrating, tuning and keeping all those CEMs chippa! That's assuming they can source them.

I really enjoy Jacks playing and most of his videos, but not always. His Vox Continental vs Roland VR730 video was rubbish because he hadn’t spent an time before recording it finding his way around either board. Why anyone would want to push all the draw bars in at the same time when you have an expression pedal is beyond me. Love his electric piano playing, right up my alley, but if hasn’t spent time working out how to tweak the sound he’s not telling me much about the board. A Hammond or synth player he is not. So Yeh I usually enjoy his videos, but I wouldn’t judge a keyboard by them, and that goes for the UB-Xa, even if, to his credit, he did a pretty fine job of going through the features. OTOH maybe holding down a pad just didn’t do it for him so he didn’t go there, we’ll find out when it eventually hits the street. I do wonder if the OB-X8 release has pushed Behringer to roll it out before it’s properly cooked through?

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

1 hour ago, ChazKeys said:

Poly chain is a very clever idea and allows you to create your own 'poly synth'. This would be the plan with the 2X-M SEM clone if it ever gets released.

For kind of polyphonic Oberheim clone created from SEM clones, it requires some more than cloned SEM modules only,- polychain or not.

You also need a frame w/ at least voice assignment modes, al the master controls, output module, preset memory (and step sequencer) the originals (4-Voice, 6-Voice and 8-Voice) provided.

And a good (master-) keyboard in addition !

☺️

A.C.

1 hour ago, Al Coda said:

For kind of polyphonic Oberheim clone created from SEM clones, it requires some more than cloned SEM modules only,- polychain or not.

You also need a frame w/ at least voice assignment modes, al the master controls, output module, preset memory (and step sequencer) the originals (4-Voice, 6-Voice and 8-Voice) provided.

And a good (master-) keyboard in addition !

☺️

A.C.

Yes that's all true but the FVS programmer only recalled basic settings or offsets. It didn't recall Wave/PWM/SYNC/Filter type. The 2X-M is Eurorack - there are cases have a keyboard built in. The OG keyboard was really basic with no Pitch or Mod Wheel. Although some of the split keyboard modes were useful. The 2X-M does support splits but I'd be happy just running 2 units as a 4 voice poly with 5 octave controller keyboard. I already have step sequencers. Unlike the OB-Xa or UB-Xa the SEMs just use standard ICs and transistors so I am hoping they will get this right. They did well with the Model D. 

Those lucky people who can afford the OB-X8 are going to love having access to Curtis and Oberheim SEM filters. 

38 minutes ago, ChazKeys said:

Yes that's all true but the FVS programmer only recalled basic settings or offsets. It didn't recall Wave/PWM/SYNC/Filter type. The 2X-M is Eurorack - there are cases have a keyboard built in. The OG keyboard was really basic with no Pitch or Mod Wheel. Although some of the split keyboard modes were useful. The 2X-M does support splits but I'd be happy just running 2 units as a 4 voice poly with 5 octave controller keyboard. I already have step sequencers. I use a Kenton Pro Solo to provide some preset control: it has 32 presets (1 ENV + LFO  + 3 CVs). Then I would use a Mult to send the CVs to a pair of  2X-Ms. Unlike the OB-Xa or UB-Xa the SEMs just use standard ICs and transistors so I am hoping they will get this right. They did well with the Model D. 

Those lucky people who can afford the OB-X8 are going to love having access to Curtis and Oberheim SEM filters. 

Yes, I KNOW how Oberheim 2-voice and 4- Voice up to 8-Voice worked,- thank you !

And I said polyphonic,- not duophonic and have set "step sequencer" consciously in brackets above.

Eurorack is a different department anyway.

Now the question is whether a combo of 2X-M support a 4-way split from a single (5 oct) controller keyboard or just only what I see on it´s front panel,- uni, split and duo.

What´s the split point ? Fixed or variable,- variable for what ? The combo of 2 modules or for each module individually and regardless how many 2X-M will be combined ?

Are split (or layer) zones overlapping or not ?

My post was about what´s necessary to create a more than 2 voice polysynth from such modules and not about what satisfies you.

Instead and because that was my post, it´s about what satisfies me !

And currently as also in future, I won´t be satisfied w/ preset-less Eurorack solutions as also not w/ the ancient rudimentary preset memory system of a mid 70s polysynth at all.

So and IMO, it still requires way more than a Eurorack case and a MIDI controller.

YMMV ...

A.C.

9 hours ago, Aynsley Green said:

Then perhaps Behringer shouldn't make such bold claims in the first place to create controversy? This pipe dream that we can have supposedly 1:1 analog clones for suspiciously little money has always been fishy to me. A bit like these San Martin clones of Rolexes or Tudors or Audemar Piguets - yeah, they might tick all the boxes on paper, but surely corners have been cut somewhere, just under the surface. There's just something off about the whole endeavour.

The work the engineers at Midas/Music Tribe have done in the last few years is impressive. Uli’s effort to make analogue synths affordable is commendable.  How he makes this happen is morally questionable.  But so is almost everything we buy that’s made in countries that lack worker protections.  Even if we buy goods assembled in our own countries, parts and materials are being bought at lowest possible cost.  

I’m not a fan of cloning.  It would be way cooler if Behringer stuck to inspired designs like the DM6/12.  But it’s apparently not illegal and his success in the market place says he’s right about what fans of these instruments want. Heck, Roland has flat out stated they are never going back and with each passing year their classic synths become rarer, more expensive and harder to repair. 

I can't say I'd be too upset if this indeed sounds crappy, or even mediocre, due to the cloning.  "UB-XA" with blue stripes on black, that's just weaksauce.

If this was the Deepmind 2 or whatever they wanted to call it, and bothered to make at least a semblance of an original design, I'd be pulling for it wholeheartedly.  Not that my wishes for its success or failure mean a damn thing.   I think buying "Gibsons" from ali express is pretty weak also yet look how many people do it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I can't say I'd be too upset if this indeed sounds crappy, or even mediocre, due to the cloning.  "UB-XA" with blue stripes on black, that's just weaksauce.

If this was the Deepmind 2 or whatever they wanted to call it, and bothered to make at least a semblance of an original design, I'd be pulling for it wholeheartedly.  Not that my wishes for its success or failure mean a damn thing.   I think buying "Gibsons" from ali express is pretty weak also yet look how many people do it.

A totally understandable point of view on the topic.  But also keeping in mind that this Behringer-analogues endeavor also employs Midas engineers in Manchester UK, the same people who did the Deep Mind.  

14 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

763371BD-59CB-44B4-8A5E-49E6402A1CC8.thumb.jpeg.25b69ecafb47a7e0304258b5a58569bb.jpeg

Apparently some critical of Anderton’s hands on demo.  I’ve watched quite a few of Jack’s demos.   He’s said on a few occasions he’s not really a synth guy the way others might be.   I did enjoy his hands on with the Udo Super 6.  But you can’t nail it every time. Looking forward to a deeper look at the UB-XA, pros, cons and otherwise.  

😄I like the dude.  I suspect Jack gonna be fine!  Weather he plays the right type of material for a synth demo is subjective, but I appreciate anyone who plays SOMETHING over 1 finger blips and bloops demos.  He's entertaining at the very least.  Anderton's vids in general are a great resource to learn about all kinds of products.  

39 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Uli’s effort to make analogue synths affordable is commendable.  How he makes this happen is morally questionable.  But so is almost everything we buy that’s made in countries that lack worker protections.  Even if we buy goods assembled in our own countries, parts and materials are being bought at lowest possible cost.  

I think thoughtful men should really consider these three very insightful observations. To me (and maybe not to others), HOW one executes one's vision is just as important as WHAT one's vision might happen to be. They become part of the same fabric, a part of a life's work. 

Also true is the reality of global supply chain and the consequences in today's marketplace for, well, almost everything we consume. I think (and others may not agree) that I vote with my wallet for the HOW I want to support and endorse, just as much as the WHAT I want to support and endorse.

I understand the position that might say that since so much of what is in the marketplace can be traced to questionable or unethical business practices, it's a fools errand to suss out and avoid ALL products that come with moral and ethical lapses in business. But I still choose to vote for what I want to support and endorse when given a choice. For many, although not all, products and services. And others may believe I'm much ado about nothing. 

But I do believe that this "voting with my wallet" aspect of consumer activism (for lack of a better term) matters in a market. I see examples here and there. Maybe where it matters most is in my own mirror each morning.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ABECK said:

I appreciate anyone who plays SOMETHING over 1 finger blips and bloops demos.  He's entertaining at the very least.  Anderton's vids in general are a great resource to learn about all kinds of products.

I also appreciate musicians more than geeks. The problem is there are either those guys who “demo” synths with an oscilloscope or others that just don’t know what is good to play on synths. In that regard I think Dr. Mix is among the best but IMO he’s too pragmatic and doesn’t shy using even sampled synths and software, so he’s not that appealing to the regular hardcore synth purists. 

7 minutes ago, timwat said:

I think thoughtful men should really consider these three very insightful observations. To me (and maybe not to others), HOW one executes one's vision is just as important as WHAT one's vision might happen to be. They become part of the same fabric, a part of a life's work. 

Brotha @timwatyour whole post is spot on as always.

That's just it...there's no good reason for Behringer to clone analog synths other than trying to cash in its nostalgic popularity. 

Otherwise, like Modal Electronics, ASM and 1k Multimedia, Behringer could have put out their own synths at the same price point and raked in dough.

Teetering on the edge of copyright infringement and capitalizing from it is bad way to do business.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

13 minutes ago, timwat said:

Also true is the reality of global supply chain and the consequences in today's marketplace for, well, almost everything we consume. I think (and others may not agree) that I vote with my wallet for the HOW I want to support and endorse, just as much as the WHAT I want to support and endorse.

I understand the position that might say that since so much of what is in the marketplace can be traced to questionable or unethical business practices, it's a fools errand to suss out and avoid ALL products that come with moral and ethical lapses in business. But I still choose to vote for what I want to support and endorse when given a choice. For many, although not all, products and services. And others may believe I'm much ado about nothing. 

But I do believe that this "voting with my wallet" aspect of consumer activism (for lack of a better term) matters in a market. I see examples here and there. Maybe where it matters most is in my own mirror each morning.

Yes of course.  Personally, however, I’m endlessly frustrated by the options afforded us in the marketplace.  It’s easy to say, ok I don’t need an analogue synth, with  Behringer being the first name  on that list to say no to.  It’s not so easy to do the same with so many other products we need and/or use everyday. 

I’m just not buyer of any of these Behringer synths. Analog or not I’ve never heard anything from one of them I can’t do better better than using the Kronos engines.  

• Like 2

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Agree with many that there's an air of desperation to the timing of this video - which is essentially yelling "Don't look over there! Look over here!" - that just doesn't feel right. And we still don't have a release date on this thing yet. It's actually kind of sad...

I don't know anything about the presenter (Jack?) but anyone doing a 22 minute run-through of an analog synth should have at least given us a few examples of how the filters sound at various resonance settings. It's such a basic thing...

So gentlemen a question: Will the UB-Xa eventually make it to Guitar Center showrooms? I can't remember how Behringer is marketing their products these days, but I'd better get my hands on one before even considering purchasing. 

9 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

Agree with many that there's an air of desperation to the timing of this video - which is essentially yelling "Don't look over there! Look over here!" - that just doesn't feel right.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

• Like 1

I own a Behringer Model D. It's my only synth that is a WYSIWYG synth: no patches, no memory, no menus, no endless encoders or jump-to-the-stored-value-potentiometer, only real potentiometers whose position is what you hear and some selectors and switches. Now, you may laugh but it taught me how synths work after all 😀 Exactly because there's no menu-diving, no "virtual" this or that, no dragging of some knobs with the mouse on a computer screen. Every function has a knob/switch and you immediately hear the result. I don't know if it's close to a real Minimoog since I was born in 1979 in an ex-communist country where there was probably only one Minimoog in the entire country, at the state owned studio 🤣 So, for just €250 I purchased that replica, good or bad, and started twisting knobs and stuff and it all clicked in my head. I doubt I could have learned these basic principles on a VA or by menu-diving on a Kurzweil/Korg or whatever. I love Behringer 😀

As said by Chazkeys above...once Nick Batt, Starsky Carr, Loopop and similar reviewers get aholt of it we'll know all there is to know.  I especially like the ones where they try to match patches, it really shows the strengths (and limitations) of each synth.

Until then, I'll continue to work on programming my MODX.  Imagine my surprise when I'm trying to find the filter(s) only to find that each of the up-to-8 elements in a part gets their own, then you can combine 8 parts in one performance...nuts.  And they can all be modulated to some degree independently.  I'm thinking that 64 different filters (and they can be different filters, LP24, bandpass etc) on one patch might be a mess!   But all that is useless if I can get a raw sound I like, which I'm working on!

22 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Until then, I'll continue to work on programming my MODX.  Imagine my surprise when I'm trying to find the filter(s) only to find that each of the up-to-8 elements in a part gets their own, then you can combine 8 parts in one performance...nuts.  And they can all be modulated to some degree independently.  I'm thinking that 64 different filters (and they can be different filters, LP24, bandpass etc) on one patch might be a mess!   But all that is useless if I can get a raw sound I like, which I'm working on!

There is no shortage of synthesis capability underneath the hood of the MODX and other KBs like it.  The gig-ready usual suspect sounds are probably already presets.

The *problem* with most digital synths is  1) it's not as tactile as knobby synth and 2) it's easy to get lost in a maze of elements and modulation routing destinations in trying to program it  

The KB manufacturers have managed to put everything including the patch cables on a microchip. It becomes the synth programmers job to come up with a spreadsheet to keep track of them.

Additionally, the synthesist/musician has to make business decisions.  Scroll through preset in order to organize favorite sounds.  Set aside time to indulge in a spaghetti maze of synth programming to come up with musically useful sounds beyond bleeps and bloops.  Real left/right brain stuff there.

That's why most used KBs are hardly programmed beyond the factory banks. The User banks are either blank or filled with duplicates of factory sounds.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I like Jack too. You can't be in his line of work and not have a bit of a schtick. Plus he's got actual chops to back it up. Look at Phil X, or Greg Koch; they kind of have the same comedy act and will sell any piece of equipment handed to them, and thank god they both play great or we'd probably hate them.

But I did walk away from that demo thinking that I really didn't hear what I wanted to hear from the synth.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

12 hours ago, ProfD said:

There is no shortage of synthesis capability underneath the hood of the MODX and other KBs like it.  The gig-ready usual suspect sounds are probably already presets.

The *problem* with most digital synths is  1) it's not as tactile as knobby synth and 2) it's easy to get lost in a maze of elements and modulation routing destinations in trying to program it  

The KB manufacturers have managed to put everything including the patch cables on a microchip. It becomes the synth programmers job to come up with a spreadsheet to keep track of them.

Additionally, the synthesist/musician has to make business decisions.  Scroll through preset in order to organize favorite sounds.  Set aside time to indulge in a spaghetti maze of synth programming to come up with musically useful sounds beyond bleeps and bloops.  Real left/right brain stuff there.

That's why most used KBs are hardly programmed beyond the factory banks. The User banks are either blank or filled with duplicates of factory sounds.😁😎

The 'Analog Xperience' library takes the MODX from being an okay synth to a good synth. The new samples and presets are great starting points for 'vintage' tones