Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chester Thompson - Hammond organ clinic

Dave Bryce

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was so good at finding space for cool organ comping within the dense TOP arrangements. And then he would pull out an organ solo with just Garibaldi and you'd wonder where this alien came from. It's one thing to play walking bass lines with your left hand, but Rocco-style funk lines while soloing? And keeping that great time feel. Unreal.

P.S. How can I forget.. and the way he would push the grinding sound of the organ by sometimes doubling with the bass pedals. So good!

• Love 1

Like an entire horn section in his right hand.  Awesome.  

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

7 hours ago, funkyhammond said:

He was so good at finding space for cool organ comping within the dense TOP arrangements. And then he would pull out an organ solo with just Garibaldi and you'd wonder where this alien came from. It's one thing to play walking bass lines with your left hand, but Rocco-style funk lines while soloing? And keeping that great time feel. Unreal.

P.S. How can I forget.. and the way he would push the grinding sound of the organ by sometimes doubling with the bass pedals. So good!

You’re talking Squib Cakes 1974.  First time I heard it blew my mind.  Chester!

Keyboard October 2006 featured a CT transcription of Knock Yourself Out that came from a video on keyboardmag.tv.  I'm pretty sure the video above came from the same session. 

Keyboardmag.tv seems to have vanished completely, with the only online remains being a Uriah Heep video and possibly the one featured here. 

Cool. Remember when both Chester Thompsons were in the Santana band at the same time? It was during the 80's. Some awesome grooves!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

and here is Chester showing us how he employs these techniques live...

School time, boys and girls....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

we are not worthy... 

On 5/13/2022 at 3:09 PM, HammondDave said:

we are not worthy... 

I've seen this video a dozen times.  Watch him give the drummer the eye at the 2:30 mark.  classic...

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 5/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, Delaware Dave said:

I've seen this video a dozen times.  Watch him give the drummer the eye at the 2:30 mark.  classic...

With one look he conveyed: "Bro, don't make me call J.K. Simmons down here to give you a lesson on keeping time."