Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New OBERHEIM OB-X8 Announced!

I'm glad to see such a solid production run, as I was afraid it would be a one-and-done limited edition. Life events have forced me to put this purchase on the back burner indefinitely, but I no longer fear that there will not be future opportunities to buy one. I am starting to see it crop up in YouTube live videos by major artists BTW. I can't remember which ones, as I didn't think to bookmark at the time. I wonder what albums it's already on?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 5/6/2022 at 5:26 PM, Jim Alfredson said:

Is it wrong that I own an OB8 and I still want this?

Nah same here. The obx and the obxa were awesome as well, then bringing them all together under one roof with Dave Smith taking it to new technology makes it a force to be reckoned with.

My OB-X8 impressions to date:

If you want that classic Oberheim sound in a modern synth, they don’t come any better than the OB-X8.  I own FVS, OB-X, and OB-SX and am intimately familiar with the sonority of each of them.  I’ve heard the reissue SEM, plenty of clones/plugins, and have played the OB-6.  While all feature the state variable filter (SVF) of the SEM, they didn’t sound as organic and bold as the originals.  The OB-X8 is meticulously voiced to emulate the sounds, features - and imperfections - of the legacy models OB-X, OB-Xa, OB-SX, and OB-8.  It isn’t a complete emulation of the FVS as it lacks some of its modulation options and note assignment modes, but the OB-X8 does include the SVF of the SEM module and as a bonus the SVF is completely programmable.

The OB-X8 ships from the factory with all the factory patches that came with the legacy models.  I can only account for the factory patches for my OB-X and OB-SX but I can attest that they are dead on accurate.  The OB-X8 can load your backup tapes from your old Oberheim.  The OB-X8 has the discrete VCOs of the SEM/OB-X, and includes six filter options - the four modes of the discrete 12dB/oct SVF (highpass, bandpass, notch, and lowpass which is also OB-X), the CEM3320 VCF in 12dB/oct and 24dB/oct modes in the OB-SX (12dB only), OB-Xa, and OB-8.  The OB-X8 does have a genuine CEM3320 for each voice, not a clone.

Everybody has their favorite Oberheim sounds made famous by artists, and I had no trouble dialing them up.  Some legacy models have subtle “imperfections” that contribute to their sound in a good way - Oberheim was aware of this and included controls to scale its behavior from perfect to what’s wrong with this thing.  Oberheim made slight changes to the envelope generators, LFO, etc as the models progressed.  All the different changes were included in the OB-X8.  The OB-X never had the extended features of succeeding models, but with the OB-X8 now you can.

How about new sounds?  I’ve been experimenting and have dialed up patches that the legacy models could never do.  The SVF sounds really good, and its bandpass filter has made some of the best brass/reed patches I have made to date.  They included the classic XMOD cross modulation for clangorous sounds, and added another cross modulation option using VCO2 triangle waveshape and made it variable depth (the classic XMOD was fixed depth).  The triangle cross modulation depth is matched from voice to voice which is great for playing clangorous chords in tune.  With that new feature and the notch mode of the SVF, I came up with the sound of a monster movie grandfather clock gong.  Velocity sensing and aftertouch are great additions with the top of the line semi-weighted Fatar TP9 keybed.  64 tuning tables are included.

Many functions of the legacy models have been expanded in the OB-X8.  IE keyboard tracking of the VCF is now variable instead of off/full, mixer levels of VCOs and noise are now variable instead of off/half/full, etc.  You can now set number of voices for a unison patch and select priority and trigger options.  The legacy models had stereo outputs (except the OB-SX) which had to be manually set under the hood (the OB-8 made them accessible at a cutout in the right hand cheek) and was global for the instrument.  The OB-X8 not only has stereo panning programmable per patch, but it adds automatic panning options like PingPong, Spread, Splayed with variable depth.  A patch can also be mono.  I’m a diehard digital effect user for getting stereo imaging, but the more I used the panning modes in the X8 the more I liked it.  A 4L4R panning mode can be used to direct four voices each hard left and right for separate outputs in split and double mode.  If you prefer mono for everything there’s a global option for that.

MIDI adds another dimension to the OB-X8.  Sure you can get a MIDI retrofit for the legacy models, but due to limitations in the circuit designs they are limited to shallow MIDI implementations.  The MIDI implementation in the X8 is far more comprehensive.  Besides responding to MIDI notes 0 to 127 with note on velocity, PB, MW, breath, brightness (VCF cutoff), volume, sustain pedal, NRPNs (or CCs) for all front panel controls, sysex, the X8 responds to polyphonic pressure from an external MIDI controller (it currently does not implement MPE).  I’ve been WAITING for a polyphonic analog synth that could respond to polyphonic pressure - with the OB-X8 I can vary the pressure of each key on my MIDI controller and make the VCF cutoffs change for each key - lovely expressive tool.

The OB-X8 is bi-timbral - split or double (layer) modes are available.  The only minus is the eight voices are divided for each and polyphony is now limited to four.  I did not see a chaining option in the user manual and there does not appear to be any facility to expand more voices beyond eight in the OB-X8.  Anyone who has owned an FVS or P5 won’t find this too limiting.  If its 61 note keyboard is not enough for a split mode, you can use an external 88 note MIDI controller.

Does the OB-X8 have matrix modulation like the Xpander and modern synths?  No it does not.  While I love my Andromeda with the deep modulation options it offers, the OB-X8 has other tricks the Andromeda cannot do.  The Oberheim team put the focus on capturing the vintage Oberheim sound/features in a modern synth, and it does it so well that I can live with its limited modulation options.  The OB-X8 has no onboard effects like the OB-6, but I prefer my own outboard effects anyway.

In a nutshell, the OB-X8 is destined to be a classic.  Hard to make a bad sound on this thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Wow, and here I was about to cross it off my long list as non-essential! Thanks for that thorough review.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

1 hour ago, Theo Verelst said:

I'd always find it interesting to know how the translation from somewhat nerdy to divine nerdiness levels with such a polyphonic would be valued.

T

i dunno, is it fun to play?

• Haha 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

My initial observations:

This thing is physically HUGE for a 5 octave, at least to me.  About 16.5" deep by 5" tall on the back edge.  Having to modify my 3 tier Quiklok Z Frankenstand to accommodate it as an upper tier keyboard.  (Middle tier really..my top tier is for mixer/laptop/etc)

No famous hit song presets built-in, just the original synth presets...which for me was a bummer.  First thing I wanted to do after power up was play all the Prince and Van Halen Obie riffs I already knew.  Now I have to wait for an individual to create a soundset and buy it after it becomes available, and that sucks.  I managed to make a usable Split patch for 1984 (the VH album intro song).

The good news...the keys/keybed feel great and the tone is heavenly...I'm in love.  ❤️.  25 years or so of poly analog gear lust finally fulfilled ☺️

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

6 hours ago, sunspot said:

Now I have to wait for an individual to create a soundset and buy it after it becomes available, and that sucks.

No, it´s a synthesizer,- a machine waiting for your programming skills.

Decades ago, musicians wiped the factory presets and programmed their own,- or at least, edited to their taste and needs.

I remember, when I bought a Prophet 5, OB-8 and the Xpander,- most factory presets were unplayable for me because wheels/ levers, momentary foot-switches and footpedal controller not assigned they way I wanted or at all,- or the preset was just only a demonstration of one of the machine´s "highlight" functionalities and musically useless to play a tune.

From a composer´s, arranger´s and producer´s point of view,- everyone using the same presets doesn´t make sense anyway.

☺️

A.C.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Grave Bryce said:

I'm thinking we need to get an OB-X8 into the GearLab.  :2thu:

dB

I nominate Jim Alfredson to start the review! 

(Then again I'd consider throwing my hat into the ring, if someone would send me an OB-X8 on very  l o n g - t e r m  loan...).  

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Got to play it recently. Gawd! It’s a fabulous sounding beast and a real instrument. It’s Everything I lusted after in the 80s and I still can’t afford one!

However I actually think it’s cheap for a top shelf instrument. One day I might just buy one…

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

3 hours ago, lsj said:

just listened to the post by Anderton's music on youtube comparing the OB to the Arturia plug-in.  very interesting, check it out.

I watched that video yesterday during a break at work. Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. As always, YMMV

:nopity:

18 hours ago, Grave Bryce said:

Then you’ll be pleased to hear that brother Jim has already agreed to do it.  😎

dB

In that case could I please request musical examples over saw wave samples, just like the brilliant clip that Jim posted? That hit me somewhere between my "the sun came out of the clouds" bone and "life is wonderful" joint. That was beautiful and very satisfying, Jim. 👍 

Musical instruments should be demonstrated not dissected. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 11:05 AM, ElmerJFudd said:

😂 $5000

I’ll add it to the “yeah right” list with the Rhodes Mk8.  

The UB is more viable.  Uhe Diva more likely.  

But nice to see for Tom.  A reboot this late in life is great to see.  

Have you Priced a NEW car or SUV lately? How about a USED ONE?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

54 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

Have you Priced a NEW car or SUV lately? How about a USED ONE?

Mike T.

This is a problem.  My car is in the shop for 3 weeks now for transmission, they can't get the part.  

I don't think I will ever purchase a car new again in my lifetime.  It's not a viable option.  

I wouldn't drive any if it weren't a necessity.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 10/28/2022 at 3:03 PM, lsj said:

just listened to the post by Anderton's music on youtube comparing the OB to the Arturia plug-in.  very interesting, check it out.

Very interesting indeed. Except for the last patch where the real thing had more pronounced resonance, on all the others the Arturia sounded more analog than the real one to my ears 🤣 It fooled the blind testers too. That’s excellent! I have the Arturia already and thus saves me some money. But of course there’s nothing like playing a real high-quality analog synth, even the thought that it’s a real analog makes it feel better. But the Arturia is perfect for recordings. 

5 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Very interesting indeed. Except for the last patch where the real thing had more pronounced resonance, on all the others the Arturia sounded more analog than the real one to my ears 🤣 It fooled the blind testers too. That’s excellent! I have the Arturia already and thus saves me some money. But of course there’s nothing like playing a real high-quality analog synth, even the thought that it’s a real analog makes it feel better. But the Arturia is perfect for recordings. 

The difference was obvious to me and I listened to the whole video. I did not watch it because I didn't know if they would tell you (the viewing audience) during the demos, so I just listened. I also listened under headphones. I'll admit, on my speakers it was tough to tell. But on headphones, the difference was obvious and I got them all right.

While the overall tone is very similar... after all, replicating sawtooth, pulse, and triangle wavs digitally is pretty easy these days... the difference is in the individual envelopes of the notes. The Arturia is all homogeneous. Every filter and amplitude envelope on every note is exactly the same and triggers at exactly the same time. Not true of the real thing. Which is funny because I'm pretty sure the envelopes in the OB-X8 are software based, not analog. From the Oberheim website: "Meticulously modeled envelope responses match each OB model: OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8." But Dave Smith knew that there's more to the classic analog synth sound than the oscillators and filters. Sequential has put in the work to refine software envelopes for decades and they know what they are doing. That's why even their digital oscillator based synths, like the Prophet 12, sound so good.

The lead sound was obvious too; the resonance was not right; spikey and not smooth. And the last patch was super obvious.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, Tusker said:

In that case could I please request musical examples over saw wave samples, just like the brilliant clip that Jim posted? That hit me somewhere between my "the sun came out of the clouds" bone and "life is wonderful" joint. That was beautiful and very satisfying, Jim. 👍 

Musical instruments should be demonstrated not dissected. 

Sounds good to me!

I think comparison like the Andertons one above are fun but the true test is how does it sit in a mix, how can it be used musically? And for sure, the Arturia is a very musical sounding synth and is a great alternative if you cannot justify a $5k analog poly. I used Arturia's SEM V2 plug-in on the last THEO album for huge brassy pads, even though most of the synthesizer sounds on that record are Andromeda and Moog Voyager. I just wanted that Oberheim thing, didn't have an Oberheim at the time (now I have two... life is crazy) and the plug-in sounded great and did the job perfectly. Use what you have.

Another great alternative is the OXa in Syntronik 2 from IK Multimedia and the GForce OB-E. Both sound really great.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Theo Verelst said:

O'm watching the "making of" vidro with both (then still alive) Smith and Oberheim, and can't shake the feeling Tom's not entirely happy with how things go.

T

Really?  Didn’t get that impression. What part?

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I'm not saying he doesn't appreciate the business Smith's company gave him, but he seems not to like the mining operation for new sounds the way it's being led.

My own take is that his mates are more into a quiet type of operation with some interesting stuff going on. A more laid back approach, so to speak, where he's not blowing loads of air through the ducts but achieves a more natural appreciation for the technology.

T

• 3 weeks later...

This may be of interest to any fellow OB-X8 users:

I have no connection to this guy, never even chatted with him.  But I do follow his posts on another forum, and he has created a soundset of famous patches for it.  Between a Black Friday sale and a strong dollar-to-pound situation, I just bought it for $27.  It was a no-brainer for someone like me who is lazy/not-as-talented at replicating sounds from a synth-design standpoint.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to load it up tonight or sometime this weekend.

http://www.lukeneptune.com/downloads/vintage-classic-for-the-ob-x8/

• Like 1

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

• 2 months later...

So what is the actual Street Price of the new Oberheim? So far how reliable has the initial synths been?

Back in the dark ages, I bought an OBX then later bought the OBXa. It took me YEARS to pay off the loans I took out to get them!

I am happy to see the improvements built into the new rendition, they make sense. That said, for me, if I were still playing live music, I would stick with a workstation class synth that my Yamaha Motif Provides for my one man band live shows. The 16 track internal sequencer was mandatory for me, instead of having to learn how to use a separate recording device and incorporate it into a live show. Keep it simple. I made good use of the sampler. and Yamaha had a lot of different sounds on their website that could be loaded and saved with my sets, so it never got stale. The Yamaha Motif ES8 never failed me on a gig and I still have it in my music room today.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.