Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New OBERHEIM OB-X8 Announced!

As an interesting aside, the timing of the release of the Oberheim and the Behringheim can't be coincidence, and the backlash in the comments speak for themselves.
Despite the years of hype, it doesn't actually sound very good, does it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUKX5QB_x1g

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

27 minutes ago, timwat said:

New cottage industry: The Synth Shell.

Like the piano shell, but cooler.

Even Sir Paul isn't above it

image.png.cbb3487e3cf8d97f272822d093b95b70.png

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

Hands-on tour of the Oberheim OB-X8 with Francis Preve

"I intentionally created and recorded more exotic sounds, since there will be a deluge of “Jump brass“ and more common rock and synthwave patches from influencers and reviewers. "

So, skip this article if you just want to hear that Jump riff for the gazillionth time.

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

So, skip this article if you just want to hear that Jump riff for the gazillionth time.

No need.  The Korg Module has an excellent sample of it. 

• Haha 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

If they are willing to do so, I think young cats like Nick Semrad, J3PO and Anomalie have the best shot at making a synth like the OB-X8 appeal to a younger generation of synthesist/musicians.  Those guys have the ability to program and play synths in tune with modern music. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 5/15/2022 at 8:19 PM, mcgoo said:

My perspective is that, wow this is cool and will likely sound lovely, but.... Why? What unexplored territory is there with this? I use VSTi's for 90% of what I do, but I just bought a Polybrute last year because there was an instrument that could do things I couldn't do with software. Save for splitting hairs, I'm not sure that would be the case would any of these reissues, much as I might like to own them all. 

Maybe. But could you play JUMP?  😉

• Haha 2

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

fyi, I got a Guitar Center 15% off coupon today, and clicked to see the items *included* (unless I screwed up).   Normally there is a giant list of exclusions, but clicking the email link brought me to the items in the sale.  Among the items included appears to be the OBX8.   That's quite a discount assuming you were going to pay $5K.

Weird, it's definitely in the promotion for me.  I did click the link from an email, I wonder if that makes a difference.  

Looking at the coupon, it also states in small print max discount is $500.  So not quite as good as it might have been.

23 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

didn't appear that way for me :idk:

That's just confirmation to leave that OB-X8 in the store. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'm torn between placing a pre-order for the OB-X8, or buying the OB-6 module this weekend at 20% holiday markdown.

I saw some stuff on Gearspace about the filters involved, but don't see them mentioned on product pages, so it's a bit of an effort to compile a full comparison list of the two models, in time for the holiday sale end period tomorrow, given that I have a multitude of emergencies with the newly-purchased home and those also require rapid research and decision-making.

My gut feeling at this point says to hold off on the OB-X8 order. Even if I grab an OB-6 module now, it has good sell-back value if I decide the OB-X8 is an upgrade later on vs. a different synth altogether.

Some of what I read on GS is that the new OB-X8 will be mostly Curtis-based, which isn't the case with the OB-6 (at least not in full), and that the OB-6 supports MPE but the OB-X8 doesn't. Also, no way to cross-modulate filters on the OB-X8.

That might all be malarkey, but the amount of time it would take me to determine that, would cut too deep into dealing with immediate ongoing emergencies with the money pit that is just about any house bought in NoVa these days.

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2022/05/superbooth-22-oberheim-ob-x8-8-voice-poly-analog-synthesizer-is-official.html?fbclid=IwAR1PSmxBg1NGtgdOle7_65yQYcQpZidZWaDwt9ofkLnaOnsxgs3rHGotFQ0

Update: Going back to the Superbooth announcement above, the OB-X8 specs seem to go beyond the early leaks that form most of the discussion on Gearspace. Also, the demos sound more full and organic to me overall, and as I have other Sequential synths, I almost feel like the OB-6 isn't quite differentiated enough in comparison, even though it is its own thing (after all, I have OB filters on my Sequential synths).

I'll skip the OB-6 module at $2K holiday sale, but will also hold off on pre-ordering the OB-X8, as $5K is a lot, and the only advantage to pre-ordering is that one doesn't pay interest right away if one is keeping it on credit for a while. The card limit gets exhausted as a placeholder either way. But I hear in Canada the pre-order is treated as a full pre-charge, atop the disadvantageous exchange rate, so I feel for my neighbors to the north.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Gearspace synthesizer group hasn't been a reliable source for years.  I left GS for good and never re-subbed after I attempted to correct some errors and my post got removed while the offending post was left intact.  I don't like being called a liar.

The OBX8 has discrete VCOs like the SEM (which are very good VCOs), and the SEM multimode filters (used in SEM and OBX) are discrete like the SEM.  The only CEMs used were the CEM3320 VCF for the OBXa/OBSX/OB8 heritage.  The envelopes are software and they modeled the response per legacy synth.

I preordered my OBX8 two weeks ago.

• Like 3

Thanks for clarifying. That better matches my memory of what I thought I had read earlier, and also explains why I seem to like the sound of the OB-X8 better, taking into account that a head-on comparison hasn't happened yet as the only OB-X8 demos are ones done in isolation with promotion of the new product as the goal.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 5/12/2022 at 3:21 PM, Bill H. said:

when I really needed an Oberheim poly I couldn't afford it, and now that I don't need one I can. 

Hence my recent observation that at a recent Corvette show in my area, there was not a single owner that didn’t have grey hair except for the people with no hair. I mean, more power to them for expressing their lifelong passions, but I don’t think a lot of 30 year olds are buying a $100,000+ car. But all the marketing pushes a younger demographic.

"For instance" is not proof.

11 hours ago, The Real MC said:

Dave Smith

Not sure about that one anymore unfortunately

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Put my pre order in last week at Alto music. I don’t need it , but I want it badly. I had a decent chunk of Alto bucks combined with free shipping and no tax , not a bad deal. I swear this is my last big purchase…………🤣

Might consider selling my prophet 6 to help pay for it. 

• Like 1

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I was there, I played one, it was amazing. It's not in my budget right now, I don't have a need for it any time soon, but damn, I want one. I mostly just played the presets and twisted a knob or two, but I was blown away. I could have stood there all day and played with it, but at some point, I go "yeah…" and walk away. :) 

They were giving away Oberheim logo metal buttons as well as wooden coasters made from the same material as the end caps, so I did snag me those.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

16 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

It's not in my budget right now, I don't have a need for it any time soon, but damn, I want one.

My sentiments exactly.  That sound, and layout; brings back many memories.  

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Jimmy Smith shed on the Hammond B3 and emerged a monster and the rest is history. 

It would be great to see one of these talented young musicians cop and use an OB-X8 exclusively and open up a new style of music. 😎

PD