Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New OBERHEIM OB-X8 Announced!

8-voice, pure-analog polyphony with sine, saw, square, triangle, and noise
Two discrete SEM/OB-X-lineage VCOs per voice deliver classic punchy Oberheim tone

Discrete SEM-lineage VCFs deliver authentic OB-X-style tone and presence
Genuine Curtis filters add bold OB-Xa/OB-8 character

Meticulously modeled envelope responses match each OB model: OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8

The 61-key FATAR velocity- and touch-sensitive keyboard allows unparalleled expression and responsiveness
Bi-timbral capability allows two presets simultaneously for splits and doubles

400-plus factory programs, including the full set of factory sounds for the OB-X, OB-SX, OB-Xa, and OB-8

Integral, fanless, heatsink-free power supply

Real walnut end cheeks

High-resolution OLED display enables patch management and easy access to advanced features

Classic Oberheim Pitch and Mod levers allow expressive note bending, vibrato, and access to arpeggiator functions

Enhancements:
Additional SEM Filter modes add high-pass, band-pass, and notch functions to the classic OB-X filter

Vintage knob allows variable amounts of voice-to-voice variability to emulate the behavior of vintage instruments

Velocity sensitivity adds expressiveness to volume and filter

Channel Aftertouch adds real-time performance-based modulation

Enhanced unison allows variable voice stacking from 1-8 voices

Variable triangle wave cross-modulation
Over 600 user-programmable preset locations

Programmable per-voice pan allows wider stereo presence

Variable oscillator and noise levels

Ins & Outs:
Stereo and Mono outputs

Volume, Sustain, and Filter inputs

Arpeggiator clock input

MIDI In, Out, Thru

USB

MSRP: $5,000
Release date: June

6BAADBEB-ACBD-4A79-A34F-4E7713C4F23A.jpeg

D7BE3170-75B8-4A07-B86B-55E7365626A6.jpeg

BEEF25BE-D37E-4305-ABCB-28CD2AA26696.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, ksoper said:

:drool:

Indeed!  Time to play the Lottery, again...:laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

10 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Zero mention on their website or FB page... where is this info coming from?

Perhaps "announced" was incorrect terminology; "leaked" is more accurate.

• Haha 1

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

If the OB-X8 does come to fruition, Tom Oberheim will be able to join Dave Smith with matching golden parachutes after cashing in on the analog synth resurgence. 😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Dang I like everything I hear there (other than maybe not having poly aftertouch!)

This would not be something I'd probably ever get though...I'm 100% software at home and I doubt that will ever change.  I have no desire to ever wire anything back up with midi and audio and programming per-song, been there done that.  Software synths sound fantastic to me also.    I still use hardware for live, but this feels too precious to be bringing out to bar gigs!  :D   So it falls into a weird "won't use" spot along with other high-end gear (that I know I'd love, but just wouldn't get mileage out of).

😂 $5000

I’ll add it to the “yeah right” list with the Rhodes Mk8.  

The UB is more viable.  Uhe Diva more likely.  

But nice to see for Tom.  A reboot this late in life is great to see.  

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

$5000 is outrageous. I know this will find its crowd and I have the greatest respect for the great synth pioneers such as Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim and they deserve to make some money for the entire contribution their instruments made for the popular music of the last 40 years. But I find it hard to believe a bunch of electronic elements need to cost $5000 in 2022. I understand there's a strong pedigree and a noble tradition and the trendy synth nostalgia of nowadays is at its peak but still...

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

The UB is more viable.  Uhe Diva more likely.  

+1

I'm just guessing, but if MSRP is $5,000, that could potentially put the street price between $3,500-$4,500.  Still, I'd want to get my hands on one first before shelling out that kind of dough.  That is, if I even HAD the dough to begin with.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Considering the prices Nord just went to--and they wouldn't do it if they felt they'd sell nothing, unless they have very little stock anyway I guess--3500 for an all-analog well-built monster of a synth doesn't seem all that outrageous.  High, sure, and too much for me to gig with as I said. 

There's a crapton of people around with a crapton of money, just look at housing prices and how fast they still get snapped up.  Cars too.  I know a few people that wouldn't bat an eye at paying 80K or more for a car, these days I realize that isn't even THAT nuts...but I'm still stuck in the old days on car prices!  Sucks as I want my next one and all others to be electric for sure, but my current one is paid off.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Considering the prices Nord just went to--and they wouldn't do it if they felt they'd sell nothing, unless they have very little stock anyway I guess--3500 for an all-analog well-built monster of a synth doesn't seem all that outrageous.  

If only buying the Nord solely for its synth engine, I could understand the comparison.  Otherwise, the Nord offers more sounds and features than an 8-voice analog poly synth.

Comparing the OB-X8 to other analog poly synths on the market (Prophet 5/10, Moog One, Arturia Polybrute), $3,500 - $4,500 is within reason.  Still higher than giraffe, er, but market rate.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

When you consider the price of a fully restored 8 voice OB-X is $18,000 and up (Reverb) five grand doesn't seem all that bad.

I'm assuming that sales of the new Prophet 5/10 have been solid, so Tom could go through with this. 

It's like owning a piece of history - plus a (hopefully) solidly built high quality piece that accurately reproduces the sounds of it's forebears. If so, it will have a market. 

I'd like to see a shot of the front panel. It looks OB-Xish from what we have now. 

I appreciate the concept.

OBX discrete OSCs and whatelse plus what OBX-a and OB-8 delivered, SEM-type filters w/ additionals etc., etc. ...

When I think about what I payed for a OB-8 new when released,- the price for this toy might be acceptable,- depending how it sounds and how reliable it will work when released.

I myself, I owned a OB-8 as 1st owner,- so I´m curious ...

I wonder if all the OB-8 "page 2" features will be realised and how.

But I also wonder WHY they need a "vintage" knob when constructing/ building it "vintage" w/ discrete components.

We´ll see ...

:D

A.C.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Comparing the OB-X8 to other analog poly synths on the market (Prophet 5/10, Moog One, Arturia Polybrute), $3,500 - $4,500 is within reason.  Still higher than giraffe, er, but market rate.😁😎

Prophet 5 $3,599
Prophet 10 $4,399

Moog One 8 voice $6,999

Seems like $5,000 is comparable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Josh Paxton said:

I'm curious, what was the street price for an OB8 when they were released, and what would that be in today's dollars?

An OB8 was $4,395 in 1983 which is $12,686.55 in 2022.

However, the difference in technology, parts and material costs could make it cheaper to produce the same product today.😎

• Like 3

PD

That makes sense, it always seemed odd that me that higher-end synths have (until recently at least) mostly been around the same price through the years.  I remember walking into a music store as a synth-interested teenager and having my jaw drop after seeing a Polysix.  It was somewhere north of $2K, perhaps closer to $3K.  My Jx-10 was definitely in that range in the mid-80s.

42 minutes ago, Mark Zeger said:

Prophet 5 $3,599
Prophet 10 $4,399

Moog One 8 voice $6,999

Seems like $5,000 is comparable.

That would depend on the synthesis capability.

If it's essentially a reissue with limited modulation options, I wouldn't feel like it's comparable, or at least not all that interesting.

I make software noises.

I think this looks like a seriously good synthesizer, and considering what any OB cost 40 years ago, very good value for money. I can’t afford one just now, but I’ve been gassing for an OB for a long time, so I will start saving. 

congratulations Tom Oberheim on a huge achievement. 

• Like 4

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I had an OB-8 in the mid-80s. Easily the most lush sounding synth I’ve owned. I used to apply some chorus (e.g., to a string patch) with a Boss Chorus Ensemble pedal. Heaven. I wonder if this new OB has any built-in effects?

• Like 2

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I've demo'd a few Oberheims, so its easy to appreciate this as the hardware pinnacle of the OB line. I think effects were left off to keep it closer to the original, for that high boutique sheen. At $5K, buyers probably have whatever they need in that department. Pile of Lexicons, coming right up. 

I was spoiled by my early workstations, so I'd be more of an OB-6 player for the nice effects section. This luxury liner, though? I can almost see a spouse coming home, seeing the big honker in the living room and screaming 'WHAT DID YOU DO?? DIDN'T WE JUST DISCUSS THIS???" Its a beautiful instrument that doesn't feel unreasonable at $5K, but it also comes with that minty fresh Packrat aroma. https://umop.com/art/rl01.jpg

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

That looks gorgeous.   I guess they haven't gone up that much from when I bought my Xa LOL.   I paid around $4300.00  in early 80's.  Sam Ash NY did me a solid by shipping it to my parents house in NJ so I could avoid the tax.    With interest on the loan, probably  totalled $5500.00.  .....Plus modifications, repairs.  I had mine customized over the years with programmable volume,  Midi, and other stuff.   

It paid for itself with gigs and sessions.    I'm not really lusting for a new one, and use mine towards retirement.   Unless I get a gig with an original artist 80's act, for the type of gigs I do now,  I'd probably buy a new Mac and bring a Nord  before I spent that kind of  money or brought that on the road. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

17 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

I'm curious, what was the street price for an OB8 when they were released, and what would that be in today's dollars?

In July 1983 at LaSalle Music in West Hartford, CT, it was $3300.00