Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

used Hammond SK-2 vs. new Crumar Mojo Classic?

I currently play a Hammond XK-3 and a jury-rigged synth (connected via MIDI) as lower keyboard, plus Roland MIDI bass pedals.  I'm not a pro, I play for my own enjoyment 90% at home and occasionally at church or with friends in an informal jam session. 

Since I've always played two manuals + pedals, I've been looking at upgrading to a dual-manual clonewheel for some time now, and a friend is offering to sell me one of his two Hammond SK-2's since he just ordered a Hammond XK-5. I've been looking at all the Hammond options, as well as the Crumar Mojo and Viscount Legend Live. I'd like to keep weight to a minimum since I do take this keyboard out of the house occasionally, so even if I could find an old XLK-3 lower keyboard to match up with the XK-3, weight would be more than I'm really looking to manage at this time for a "portable" dual-keyboard setup.  (Unless of course an XLK-3 happened to fall out of the sky, in which case I *might* consider shlepping it around).

At first I rejected the idea of the SK-2 since it only has one set of drawbars, but the more I thought about it the more I realize I rarely touch the lower keyboard and pedal drawbars when I play, and I could always set up a few presets to cover that. So I've found myself seriously comparing the SK-2 to the current Mojo Classic. (No knock against the Viscount, but it is a bit more expensive, and I don't think I'll ever need two sets of drawbars per manual). I'm actually leaning slightly to the SK-2 since I like the idea of having some extra sounds (which would potentially be used in the church or small band setting, so they don't have to be the world's greatest piano voices, as long as they're "decent").  My friend is offering the SK-2, including Hammond expression pedal and halfmoon switch, for $2K, which seems fair given current prices for everything out there.  I figure if I don't like the SK-2, I can always re-sell for close to what I'm paying, and get a Mojo. 

Looking for feedback on those of you who have experience with the SK-2.  Do you love it, hate it, (or simply tolerate it)?  Has anyone who owned an SK-2 moved on to a Mojo for any reason? 

Thanks,

Lou

I had both. SK2 first and I got a good deal on the Mojo classic and I liked the idea of having more drawbars. In the end I preferred the sound of the SK2. The extra voices were a bonus although if I used the SK live it was nearly always 99% organ. If I had a gig where I needed more piano based stuff I’d bring a different board. I ended up selling the Mojo and keeping the SK2 for another year until I eventually sold it and got a Legend live. 

I’d go with the SK2, it’s still a great keyboard. 

• Like 1
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

42 minutes ago, Outkaster said:

Lou get an SK Pro.  It is a good keyboard for it's price point.

Thanks for the tip, but the SK Pro is a single keyboard.  If I wanted that I would simply stick with my XK-3.

Now the SKX Pro is interesting but it's 2x the cost of the SK-2 I'm currently looking at, not really a price point I'm interested in paying.

2 minutes ago, Dockeys said:

I had both.

Did you find any significant difference in the feel of the keybed between SK-2 and Mojo?  That could be another factor, but if they're similar in feel it won't be a major decision factor for me.

I’d say marginal in terms of feel. Perhaps the Mojo ever so slightly heavier but I’m splitting hairs now.  Couldn’t really sense there was any great difference. Mojo is still a great board. I wasn’t too keen on the OS. I had a few instances of having to reboot it sometimes on power up. Didn’t have that with the SK 2. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I'm still happily gigging my SK2 but rarely in the dual manual organ mode.  Instead, I usually use the top manual for organ and the lower manual for the extra sounds (usually electric piano), usually in soul/R&B groups.  So I can't really comment on your concerns about the lack of two sets of drawbars.  But add me to the list of satisfied SK2 users.  Biggest benefit for me is it is a relatively lightweight solution to replace bringing two keyboards.    

I've never played an SK2, but I recently returned a Mojo Classic (suitcase edition actually) because of some static discharge problems causing the board to lock up. Wouldn't have mentioned it here except that another poster mentioned having issues with their Mojo Classic. With that said, I really liked the sound and feel of the board and was sad to return it. But it wasn't reliable in my particular environment.

Never liked the SK2… has a spongy keyboard and does not really sound like a console Hammond (sorry).  I prefer my Mojo 61 two keyboard rig. Accurate and authentic Hammond sound, V/C,  overdrive, and Leslie, plus the best Hammond keyboard action among all the clones.  Plus you can easily hook up a MIDI module like the Korg Module on an iPad and play many more other great sounds controlled by the bottom keyboard.  That and my MOOG Model D iPad software covers all the bases for my classic rock bands. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I  have owned an SK-1 and a Mojo61 and the Mojo blows the SK out of the water in feel, organ tone, CV  and Leslie sim.  I believe the Mojo is a much better choice.  The SK is a discontinued product and the Mojo is current. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions......

I've had the SK1, it sounded good on it's own but really came alive with a Vent. I remember a prominent member here AB'ing the SK with the Mojo and saying the Vent was the great equalizer. He did end up using the Mojo, though.

I played an original Mojo at home for a few months, sometimes to control an HX3 module (my preference for using with a Leslie) and absolutely loved the feel of it. But it died on me. Only myself to blame, I bought used.

I swapped my SK2 for an SKX last year.
The SK2 was gigged in place of my XK3C, which I retired (and kept) due to its' weight.

You can pick up the SK2 and hold it easily over your head.
The SK2 is an excellent board and can definitely be tweaked (to a greater extent than many clones) to sound like a console - my aim was the L100/T102 of Tony Banks.

It is easily set up to operate with either manual connected to external devices.

The action is fine - the compromise with respect to the XK3c is fine, you don't get to reduce the weight as such without compromises.

For me I would still be using it today as the SKX is slightly better but not significantly so. 

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI