Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

....annnnnd we're back...

On 4/29/2022 at 10:26 PM, Dave Bryce said:

Weird. I’ll check it out.

Only if you jump right to KC?  Is it just that page, or do other page you load stay in Spanish?

dB

Yes when jumping into KC directly. After the log in, it goes into English. It is sorted now, thank you! I wondered why the default would be Spanish. 🤔

2 hours ago, Mr -G- said:

It is sorted now, thank you! I wondered why the default would be Spanish. 🤔

Not exactly sorted - I deactivated the translations.  It was the only way I could figure to fix it. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

1 hour ago, 16251 said:

I was wondering if the default page could be the same, except the white and light blue are reversed. It seems there's always more white than light blue. Why not more light blue and less white. Just a thought. :idea:

Try the Soft Blue theme. It has way more light blue than white.

If, OTOH, by default page you mean the front page www.musicplayernetwork.com, that’s actually an entirely different web site.  The forums are built on www.musicplayer.com, which is the main forum menu..

dB

8 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Try the Soft Blue theme. It has way more light blue than white.

If, OTOH, by default page you mean the front page www.musicplayernetwork.com, that’s actually an entirely different web site.  The forums are built on www.musicplayer.com, which is the main forum menu..

dB

At night, f.lux changes the light on my monitor. In the day, it looks more grey. So, it would be the white space change to grey and visa versa. But, you know what, I'm good with the default, I was just curious.

I'm not talking about the music player home page. I'm here at KC.

The Soft Blue is too Superman Blue for my tastes and the music player logo looks, Imo, better stacked.

Edit: Here's a sample.

KC reversed color.jpg

• Like 1

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• 2 weeks later...

When I quote a long message to reply, and I want to reply in chunks interspersed with the parts I'm quoting, I start with the Quote, and sometimes I can click in the quote right after the part I want to respond to, hit return, and it will "break up" the quote at that point for me to type my response, which is exactly what I want; but sometimes, when I try it, it doesn't break the quote and just inserts my tying as part of the quoted section. I can't figure out what behavior on my part is prompting it to do one thing or the other. Any tips here?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I’m also wondering about quotes. When I want to respond to a post with a previous quote and response in it, and press/click “quote,” I can only quote the response. Sometimes I’d like to quote the whole post, for context. In the old platform the whole post was quoted so we could edit or keep its content. What am I missing?

Here for the gear.

10 minutes ago, drawback said:

I’m also wondering about quotes. When I want to respond to a post with a previous quote and response in it, and press/click “quote,” I can only quote the response. Sometimes I’d like to quote the whole post, for context. In the old platform the whole post was quoted so we could edit or keep its content. What am I missing?

I've noticed this, too.  One work around is the "Quote selection" feature.  When you highlight text in a post, a floating prompt box appears nearby the text to quote the selected text in your reply.   

On 4/29/2022 at 11:27 PM, AnotherScott said:

My biggest concern is that I'm not sure the conversion was complete. Numerous times, I've used Google to find something here, and if it's a really old result (like, more than 10 years ago), the google result will not successfully link to the forum, and even trying to find the post with the forum's own search facility (based on the piece of the result I was able to find from the google search) fails to bring up the post. So it seems like either some of the old stuff still isn't here, or still isn't being found by the site's own search (and if you can't find it, it might as well not be here).

On 4/29/2022 at 11:31 PM, zephonic said:

Yeah, my posts go back only to 2008 or so. First three years are missing.

I just did this google search:

467890720_ScreenShot2022-05-16at9_46_51PM.jpg.4369f8f91ee86b2f89f74b92d02744a2.jpg

I clicked the second one, and got "Sorry! The page you requested does not exist"

so then I tried search for that thread using this forum's search function, using the same search phrase (18 hits, but not that one), and the thread title "Old DX7 patches in a modern rig" (no hits)... that one is only from 2016, and it doesn't appear to be here.

I've run into this enough times to be fairly certain that a lot of old content did not survive the transition to the new platform. Sometimes I was able to see it via google's cache, but sometimes not (and I suspect that, the more time goes by, the less likely the cache "trick" is likely to work). This one was an example of one where the cache option was gone as well.

I don't know that there's any fix for this, or even if there is, what herculean effort might be required to fix it (and what else could go wrong in the process!). I remember that someone maintained a "backup" of the old site, in case it went down. I wonder if it might make sense (and be feasible) to activate that backup site, leave it up in a "read only" format (no new posts), as an archive where we know we could find all the old content.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hi, guys - 

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll ask Jim to look into it.

This thread is not the best place to get tech support.  In the menu bar at the top of the forum there's a tab called SUPPORT.  If you file a report/let us know about a problem there, it's easier for us to request help from Invision and make sure it gets followed up and catalogued in a way that's way easy to reference going forward.

FWIW, when I'm looking for answers I can frequently find them in the Invision Help & Support forum.  

dB

• Like 1

dB, I'm not sure which feedback you were referring to, but to the extent it might have included mine... my last post was not something I could contact Invision about. But yeah, the earlier post about how quote manipulation works, that could be something to check their support for.

My goal is to get the tech support requests out of this thread. 

The problems listed here aren’t being solved.  Officially submitted support requests become catalogued action items.  The whole MPN mod and admin team will see them…

Make sense?

dB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drawback said:

And FWIW, I asked here because I couldn't find it there.

You posted a question/support issue in the Invision help forum and they didn’t answer?

That forum can be a little confusing. MPN logins will not work - you have to join their community.

dB

1 hour ago, David Bryce said:

My goal is to get the tech support requests out of this thread. 

The problems listed here aren’t being solved.  Officially submitted support requests become catalogued action items.  The whole MPN mod and admin team will see them…

Make sense?

Got it, and thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that the idea of re-activating the backup site for archive-access purposes wouldn't fall under the umbrella of support for anything related to Invision, but it sounds like that's the best route to reach all the appropriate people anyway. Plus, if this site *could* actually make all the old posts available again, so much the better! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, David Bryce said:

You posted a question/support issue in the Invision help forum and they didn’t answer?

That forum can be a little confusing. MPN logins will not work - you have to join their community.

dB

I searched Invision support for the problem/solution; couldn’t find anything specific. Thought I’d ask here in hopes that someone had figured it out and would chime in. 

Here for the gear.

4 hours ago, Jim Quinn said:

Try google search - "volca fm" site:forums.musicplayer.com , I had better results to new content.

My issue is not about finding new content, it's about finding OLD content.

The forum's own search facility cannot locate posts that Google says are there. It seems that the import of old messages to the new site was incomplete and a good number of messages are missing. Ideally, that could be fixed, but I'm guessing that could be complicated, to essentially re-do the import of the old messages in some way that fixes the problem (which also means first figuring out what went wrong the first time), without risking the new messages in the process... It would be great if it were do-able, but if not, as I said, getting the old site up elsewhere as a read-only archive would at least give us access to all those old posts. (And eventually google would find them there as well.)

3 hours ago, Jim Quinn said:

Any search results that include "ubbthreads.php" in the URI will not resolve to anything in the new system.

Do we have the ability to do a mass redirect of the links with "ubbthreads.php" to a version without that? Something with htaccess or similar? Or are the new links not set up in a way that works well with that?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

While understanding/improving how google searches can or cannot access forum data is also something of interest, again, to reiterate, google searching is not the problem I am talking about. The "ubbthreads.php" in the result may explain why the google search result was not able to resolve the link, but the fact remains, if you try to locate (for example) that same post ("Old DX7 patches in a modern rig" from 2016) using this site's own search function, the post does not come up. So either importing the previous site's contents to the new site was incomplete OR it's there but can't be found in a search, which for all intents and purposes, is the same thing (i.e. if it's there but you can't bring it up, it might as well not be there).

And again, if this is NOT fixable, would it be possible to re-activate the "archived" site that was used a while back when the main site went down?

On 5/16/2022 at 6:54 PM, AnotherScott said:

I just did this google search:

467890720_ScreenShot2022-05-16at9_46_51PM.jpg.4369f8f91ee86b2f89f74b92d02744a2.jpg

I clicked the second one, and got "Sorry! The page you requested does not exist"

Okay, this is odd…

I tried following Scott’s path.  I typed “DX7 Patch needed on iPad - Music Player network” in the search field.  I saw the same link come up as above - with the ubbthreads link in it…so I clicked, expecting to be taken to the broken link - but I got sent here:

…so the original post does appear to be still there on that one.  The other example you gave does not do the same thing, though... 🤔

We’ll report it to Invision.

dB

25 minutes ago, David Bryce said:

Okay, this is odd…

I tried following Scott’s path.  I typed “DX7 Patch needed on iPad - Music Player network” in the search field.  I saw the same link come up as above - with the ubbthreads link in it…so I clicked, expecting to be taken to the broken link, but I got sent here:

…so the original post does appear to be still there.

dB

Right... and I likewise I have not experienced any inherent problem with "ubbthreads" links. And if you look at my screenshot above, both search results are ubbthread links... the first one works, the second one does not. Maybe ubbthreads is a factor, or maybe it's not, but either way, some stuff is not accessible, and that inaccessibility does not simply correlate to the presence of ubbthreads. And not only does that other hit ("Old DX7 patches in a modern rig") not resolve from clicking the google search result, but worse, trying to then locate that post with this forum's own Search function also fails, which means that either the post did not survive the transition, or, if it did, it has not been indexed by the site's search function (and if you can't locate it through any internal or external search, even if it's technically there, it might as well not be, because there's no way to get to it).

And again, this is not a one-off, I've hit this problem numerous times, and I can provide more examples of failed searches for old content, if it will help.

• Thanks 1

I even tried manually recreating what the Invision link would look like if the second one worked based on the url of the one that does.  Didn’t work.  Absent more info, my conclusion would probably be the same as yours.

Yeah, this one calls for a direct ticket to Invision for sure.  

dB

I Made a support request a few days ago like you suggested, @David Bryce, but I don't see any action on it, it's still just "Open."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sorry, Joe - it’s the week before the first NAMM show in 2 1/2 years.  I’m a bit jammed up…and yes, they still all currently go through me.

I’ll check it out today.  Sorry for the delay.

dB

• Like 1