Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

....annnnnd we're back...

23 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

No.  Something has to be in that first space like that.  Me messing with that is what screwed up the thumbs down one a few days ago.

Sorry.

dB

I meant leaving it in the first space but also giving it as an option among the others (as the first option ideally).

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

9 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

I meant leaving it in the first space but also giving it as an option among the others (as the first option ideally).

The only way to do that would be to double that one, which I think would be confusing.

i also tried putting nothing in the space…but then there’s no indicator any of them are there. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

26 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

The only way to do that would be to double that one, which I think would be confusing.

i also tried putting nothing in the space…but then there’s no indicator any of them are there. :idk:

dB

You could try a dingbat like the smiley in the font menu above the post window. (?)

Here for the gear.

Since about 2 days, I´m unable to sign in directly to KC,- p.ex. while already reading w/o being signed in,- and then want to reply to something.

When I do, I get some message like "something unexpected occured" and then I´ll have to redo using a different popup window (exsisting user - sign in).

That works, but the start page is "Musicplayer Forums" then instead of "Keyboard Corner".

Same happens when I ry to sign in while already reading other subforums like GearLab, StudioWorkshop or craig Anderton´s forum.

Just sayin´ and maybe it can be fixed ...

A.C.

1 hour ago, drawback said:

You could try a dingbat like the smiley in the font menu above the post window. (?)

I'm not being clear.

Theere's no way to put something in that category without it being a live reaction.  If I add a smiley, it'd be a second way to Like things.  Sure, we could have a Like and a Thumbs Up....but I think that's even more confusing.  I can put the Smiley emoji instead of the Thumbs Up there...but I like the Thumbs Up better.  Goes nicely with the Thumbs Down.

dB

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Al Coda said:

Since about 2 days, I´m unable to sign in directly to KC,- p.ex. while already reading w/o being signed in,- and then want to reply to something.

When I do, I get some message like "something unexpected occured" and then I´ll have to redo using a different popup window (exsisting user - sign in).

That works, but the start page is "Musicplayer Forums" then instead of "Keyboard Corner".

Same happens when I ry to sign in while already reading other subforums like GearLab, StudioWorkshop or craig Anderton´s forum.

Just sayin´ and maybe it can be fixed ...

A.C.

Check /update your link.  If it points back to KC on the old site, that may be the problem.

dB

3 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

dB

Well, I know that for the person who puts the objects there, it sort of feels like it would be there “twice.” But for the user, the one we see functions as a stand-in for “Here are all the ways you can react to this.” It is disconcerting not to have the one we want—the thumbs up—among those options. We can each sort of individually reverse-engineer the only remaining possibility, which is that maybe we are meant to click on the one we hovered over, which looks different from the one we end up getting, but it’s asking that icon to do something unexpected (and inconsistent with other sites).

I personally don’t see the harm in just adding a thumbs-up as the first option among group of options. It’s how we’re used to interacting with this element on other sites. I definitely don’t think it will be confusing to any user, but if it’s a hassle to swing it I do imagine we’ll all learn to navigate this quirk easily enough.

www.joshweinstein.com

My login address contains a "+" sign, so I can't login unless I click the "forgot password" link and reset the PW from the e-mailed link. 

Which obviously logs me out on all other devices until I click the "forgot password" link, which then… 

(I add a "+webservicename@mymaildomain.tld" to any registration whenever the form lets me.)

This wouldn't be an issue if the forum let me log in with my user name — or if the e-mail form were modified to accept the "+" character (which has been standard ever since googlemail allowed it fifteen or so years ago). 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

24 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

I do imagine we’ll all learn to navigate this quirk easily enough.

Yep, that's what I figure as well.

FWIW, I totally see your point.  That's why I messed with it for as long as I did - I think it's a bit odd as well; but at the end of the day, I ended up concluding it's not unclear - just untidy.  Having two of the same emoji to clean that up seemed untidier...although I do admit that it did make me curious to see over time to see which one people would tend to choose. :idk: :D

If ony there was a way to make that first one in line an alias...that's the ticket.

dB

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, analogika said:

My login address contains a "+" sign, so I can't login unless I click the "forgot password" link and reset the PW from the e-mailed link. 

Which obviously logs me out on all other devices until I click the "forgot password" link, which then… 

(I add a "+webservicename@mymaildomain.tld" to any registration whenever the form lets me.)

This wouldn't be an issue if the forum let me log in with my user name — or if the e-mail form were modified to accept the "+" character (which has been standard ever since googlemail allowed it fifteen or so years ago). 

I'm not sure how to modify the character set. That'd be more in Jim's domain, I'd think.

There are a few other quirks I've noticed...but they're only in only a few fields!  Notice how you were able to type what you wanted in the body of your message.  The User names field seems to have similar issues.

This might be just as simple as changing which font is used by which field...but I'm not there yet.

dB

54 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Yep, that's what I figure as well.

FWIW, I totally see your point.  That's why I messed with it for as long as I did - I think it's a bit odd as well; but at the end of the day, I ended up concluding it's not unclear - just untidy.  Having two of the same emoji to clean that up seemed untidier...although I do admit that it did make me curious to see over time to see which one people would tend to choose. :idk: :D

If ony there was a way to make that first one in line an alias...that's the ticket.

dB

One rule of UE (which was UI when I worked at it) is that you never want to be "educating" your user, only using their existing instincts. No one would really be confused by the addition of the "like" among the options, since that's how it is everywhere. The outcome would be that they want to hit like, and then do.

Flip side...when I, personally, went to "like" something here, I was like, "Huh, when you hover over like, you can only DISLIKE, or do these other things. I guess dB's still working on that one!" It was only after a couple of hovers that I put together the idea that clicking the menu itself was one thing, but the others were all another thing.

A good analogy might be the "buy" button on a site. One option might be to "save for later" But it would be odd if you hovered over the "Buy" button and the only option that appeared was "Save for later." You'd be like...but I want to buy it NOW. 

Same mechanism at work here. 

www.joshweinstein.com

3 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

I miss those two features (although I'm not cross about it ;) ). Is it possible to reinstate them?

Best,

Geoff

I do not believe so.  This is not a UBB platform.

dB

2 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

I do not believe so.  This is not a UBB platform.

dB

I understand. Thanks for answering, Dave. :cool:

At this point, I’d say we’ve already gained considerably more than we’ve lost from this migration. I really appreciate all the hard work! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

• Thanks 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

18 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Check /update your link.  If it points back to KC on the old site, that may be the problem.

dB

I updated links last week already.

I dunno if you changed something meanwhile, but surprisingly,- today it works !

:thu:

A.C.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChoppedHam said:

1. Post preview?

Preview is possible by left-click on the "preview" icon (between "font size" and "GIF" icons) in the toolbar above.

You´ll recognize only while typing a reply or quote.

🙂

A.C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Preview is possible by left-click on the "preview" icon (between "font size" and "GIF" icons) in the toolbar above.

You´ll recognize only while typing a reply or quote.

A-ha! Earlier, I had been thinking that one extra reason a notation-free time-window for editing would be good was the lack of a Preview function. I've always been icon-challenged...

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

No Login issues here.  I was able to use my original registered Email address and current password.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

On 1/29/2022 at 4:48 AM, Mr -G- said:

I am also not able to log in through the "sign in" by going directly to  https://forums.musicplayer.com/forum/28-the-keyboard-corner/

Try going in the front door.

Unlike the old site, you shouldn't have to sign in all the time.

dB

• Like 3

Hey, this is good news:

I started writing a post the other day and didn't end up finishing it. Came back to the thread a day or two later and the post was waiting for me as a draft! I wasn't going to post it anyway, but methinks we won't be seeing the same annoyed "well, I spent half an hour writing up a post and it disappeared, so here's three sentences summing up my thoughts" posts we'd occasionally get.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 3:09 AM, Dave Bryce said:

Try going in the front door.

Unlike the old site, you shouldn't have to sign in all the time.

dB

Thank you dB, yes using the 'front door' seems to work better than coming through the bathroom window (specially if not protected by a silver spoon).  I noticed that have to sign in every time, but perhaps this has to do with persistent cookies or something like that (to be fair, I do not mind logging in every time).

4 minutes ago, Mr -G- said:

Thank you dB, yes using the 'front door' seems to work better than coming through the bathroom window (specially if not protected by a silver spoon).  I noticed that have to sign in every time, but perhaps this has to do with persistent cookies or something like that (to be fair, I do not mind logging in every time).

Nah, no silver spoon.  Too much Beatles love here for that. :classic_cool:

You shouldn’t have to log in every time.   Have you tried clearing your cache?  Or a different browser?

dB

15 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

You shouldn’t have to log in every time.   Have you tried clearing your cache?  Or a different browser?

Yes cache is cleared when I close the browser. I need to sign in when starting the browser for the first time. Then that is fine. I think I misunderstood what others meant. Cheers!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, Dave Bryce said:

I'm not sure how to modify the character set. That'd be more in Jim's domain, I'd think.

There are a few other quirks I've noticed...but they're only in only a few fields!  Notice how you were able to type what you wanted in the body of your message.  The User names field seems to have similar issues.

This might be just as simple as changing which font is used by which field...but I'm not there yet.

dB

This sounds like a validation and input sanitation issue. Whoever wrote the code to stop cross site scripting attacks and code injection took some common... uh... "shortcuts". Validating email is complex and often done wrong, resulting in other potential vulnerabilities or issues.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:53 PM, Stokely said:

As far as copy-pasting formatting...yeah, I'm pretty used to running into that at work and also when grabbing song lyrics and chords.   I'm conditioned to just have a plain-text text editor open (notepad on pc for example) and do the extra step of pasting in there and then copy-pasting back out, which removes all formatting.

There is an option to change this to plain text. I'll check with dB on making this change.

• Cool 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

9 hours ago, Baggypants said:

This sounds like a validation and input sanitation issue. Whoever wrote the code to stop cross site scripting attacks and code injection took some common... uh... "shortcuts". Validating email is complex and often done wrong, resulting in other potential vulnerabilities or issues.

According to a conversation I had with Jim yesterday, it's much simpler than that and should be no problem to fix.

dB

I just pasted the link in, and it popped right up.

I copied the link from a Mac browser and pasted it into the field where we type our posts. (I'm mentioning these details because iOS YouTube links are different form Mac ones, and that may or may not be relevant.)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon