Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any feedback from Vintage Vibe Piano owners?

Hi everyone,

I'm strongly considering buying a Vintage Vibe Piano but I don't live anywhere near the shop and might have to order one sight unseen. I'd love to hear from anyone who owns one - are you happy with your purchase, and is there anything you wish you would have known that would have changed your order?

Would you recommend 64 or 73 keys? I see the pro/con there as reduced weight vs extra playing range. Has anybody ordered one size and wished they ordered the other?

What about Classic vs Deluxe? How much difference in tone and playability is there? I honestly can't tell much difference from YouTube videos, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they showed a little extra love to the Classic models that they were about to film a demo video with.

Any advice or shared experiences are greatly appreciated!

-Adam

Yamaha CP73, Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 73

Welcome to the forum. I would imagine the overwhelming number of customers worldwide don't live near Rockaway, NJ USA, where the pianos are built. There is a 4 to 6 month waiting period from the time the piano is ordered to shipment last I checked a few months ago. They can't build them fast enough. Were it me (I wish it were) I would buy the Classic 73. Don't know that my old ears could hear the difference. Were I a recording studio, I would order the Deluxe if the extra funds were available. . Chick Corea had a Classic 73 in Mad Hatter Studio in LA, if that means anything to you.
:nopity:

I have a 64 Deluxe active. Don"t remember how the Classic is different. Got the 64 because a 73 would have been over my comfortable carrying weight, but I"ve never gigged with it so prob should have gotten the 73.

Briefly, worth every penny. I"d say it"s the best Rhodes I"ve played. it does not have the crunch of my old Suitcase Mark I so not quite my ideal Rhodes flavor but that seems like a picky complaint given what a great instrument it is.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I bought a used 64 with the active preamp a few years back, couldn"t be happier. It sounds and feels awesome, I have a suitcase 73 but often opt for the VV in my studio too. If you have the funds, I can warmly recommend them. I didn"t buy without trying, a friend of mine has one and I got to play his on several occasions so I knew what I was getting into.

I come close with my Keyscape has 15 Vintage Vibe samples and it only weights about 1 pound.

Not to be snarky, but how do you know it 'comes close'? Did you A/B it? I think the difference from digital is in the playing experience more so than the sound output.

I will say that although the playing experience between the VV and any digital emulation is vastly different, that difference has never inspired me to pack up the VV for a gig. Not worth the shlep, but also not worth the wear and tear on my prize possession. I used to toss my rhodes around and not think twice, but with the VV I want to keep it pristine. Having it on a gig isn't going to make the gig more successful. But that's true of 90% of the gear we talk about on this forum.

Chick Corea had a Classic 73 in Mad Hatter Studio in LA, if that means anything to you.

I found a video on YouTube of Chick playing his 73 at a show but it isn't recorded well enough to listen for subtleties in the sound.

If the main difference between a classic and deluxe is how much time they spent prepping/voicing it, I suspect Chick really had a deluxe with an ABS top. I'm assuming they knew which piano was going to get sent to Chick and gave it a little extra love. I actually read someplace that they worked on a custom lighter action for him.

VV is a business. They charge an extra $2000 or so for their deluxe models over their classic models for a reason. The concert model is an extra $4000 or so over the classic model. As a consumer, one has to decide how much money can be spent.

I come close with my Keyscape has 15 Vintage Vibe samples and it only weights about 1 pound.

Not to be Snarky, but how do you know it 'comes close'? Did you A/B it? I think the difference from digital is in the playing experience more so than the sound output.

Aw good Puppy.

Relax I was just having fun.

I have long thought about acquiring a VV Piano as well ( ever since Steve Watkins started playing one with Allen Stone ð) . Besides not having the funds yet, what gives me pause is that for the same price as their cheapest model you could get an immaculately restored Mk1 Rhodes or Wurli 200. Also despite all the modern electronic and weight improvements, the VV Piano sound is still very different from an original Fender Rhodes in terms of tone. Forumites what are your thoughts on a VV Piano vs a restored Rhodes for the same price or cheaper?
Live Rig: CP88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Moog Sub Phatty

Also despite all the modern electronic and weight improvements, the VV Piano sound is still very different from an original Fender Rhodes in terms of tone. Forumites what are your thoughts on a VV Piano vs a restored Rhodes for the same price or cheaper?

The tone of the VV is distinct from any legacy rhodes, but I'm not sure that delta of difference is any greater than between, say, a Mark I and Mark II. To my ear it's just another flavor of rhodes that you might prefer or not. As I posted above, I've always been partial to the Mark I sound. I think I did consider the VV versus restored Mark I question, but was uncertain about what "fully restored" really meant. The VV seemed like a more sure bet.

Not to be Snarky, but how do you know it 'comes close'? Did you A/B it? I think the difference from digital is in the playing experience more so than the sound output.

Aw good Puppy.

I don't get upset about stuff like this. In the context of this thread I think it's important to get the point across that the best-sounding digital is not going to give you the same playing experience.

I think I did consider the VV versus restored Mark I question, but was uncertain about what "fully restored" really meant. The VV seemed like a more sure bet.

Yeah there does seem to be a wide variety of conditions that are posted as "restored". I am thinking of restored in this case as having many/all of the hammers replaced, new tines, possibly new Tolex, etc. Basically the kind of restorations that companies like Chicago Electric Piano Company perform. But at the end of the day, I think you're right that there's a certain security to buying a newly manufactured electro-mechanical instrument that will have all of the benefits of newer manufacturing processes that weren't around in the 70s ( not to mention it seems like Rhodes owners are fighting time with the age of the instruments no matter how many components are replaced).

Aw good Puppy.

I don't get upset about stuff like this. In the context of this thread I think it's important to get the point across that the best-sounding digital is not going to give you the same playing experience.

Funny. When thinking about my Wurlie 200, I absolutely agree, 100%. Not so much when I think about my old Mark 1 Stage 73. Granted, it's been 40 years since I owned it and I'd sure love to have it back, but my memory of it is that the action was sluggish and I always had a few high notes that would just rip your head off if I hit them harder than ppp. So when I play my Roland A-88 triggering Keyscape's Rhodes, I really don't feel like I'm missing out. But of course, YMMV.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

So when I play my Roland A-88 triggering Keyscape's Rhodes, I really don't feel like I'm missing out.

Because I know your approximate age I'm guessing you probably played a new rhodes or two along the way. I played a bunch of them circa 1980. It's not exactly scientific to compare those experiences 40 years ago with playing the VV today, but nevertheless I'd say the VV is a better quality product than any rhodes I ever played, new or old. It also doesn't sound like any of them. It occupies its own space within the rhodes sonic realm.

I'd say the VV is a better quality product than any rhodes I ever played, new or old. It also doesn't sound like any of them. It occupies its own space within the rhodes sonic realm.

Agreed. Almost kinds sounds like a cross between a Rhodes and a Wurlie. I'm posting an almost 7 year old interview with Jon Ginty because the questions asked then are still revelant today.

Anyone not familiar with Jon Ginty, he has been a member of "Allman Betts Band" for several years now, and has quite an extensive resume. I saw him play Greg Allman's "Ain't Wasting Time No More" with

ABB 18 months ago on a VV 64 at "The Met" in Philadelphia. :cool:

I'd say the VV is a better quality product than any rhodes I ever played, new or old. It also doesn't sound like any of them. It occupies its own space within the rhodes sonic realm.

Agreed. Almost kinds sounds like a cross between a Rhodes and a Wurlie. I'm posting an almost 7 year old interview with Jon Ginty because the questions asked then are still revelant today.

Anyone not familiar with Jon Ginty, he has been a member of "Allman Betts Band" for several years now, and has quite an extensive resume. I saw him play Greg Allman's "Ain't Wasting Time No More" with

ABB 18 months ago on a VV 64 at "The Met" in Philadelphia. :cool:

That is an excellent endorsement video. I mean, of course it is produced by VV, but Ginty comes across as completely authentic and truthful.

This thread is timely for me, as I"m thinking about getting one.

The comparison or option of getting a Chicago Electric Piano Company restored Rhodes is another option, but I"m leaning towards a new instrument like the VV. Still have some saving to do, but let"s keep discussing it please!

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

It seems like for gigging the VV piano is the clear choice due to the weight and modern technology in terms of electronics and amplification. However, for a studio instrument, the almost 6k that even a 64 note classic vintage vibe piano will run you seems high to me compared to a restored Rhodes. VV posted on their instagram a few weeks ago that their piano was the clear choice because it costs the same as a rhodes and plays more reliably.....but I have to disagree because I've seen plenty of newly restored Rhodes on Reverb and Chicago Electric Piano Company go for around 4k.... am I missing something?

It seems like for gigging the VV piano is the clear choice due to the weight and modern technology in terms of electronics and amplification. However, for a studio instrument, the almost 6k that even a 64 note classic vintage vibe piano will run you seems high

This hits close to my quandary. On the one hand, how could I drop six grand on one of the beauties and NOT gig it and share it with the world?! On the other hand, NO WAY I'm spending six grand on an instrument and exposing it to the risks and abuse of gigging the dives I usually play!

So I guess it is a good thing I don't have the six grand to buy one of these, so I'm not forced to confront my quandary!

It seems like for gigging the VV piano is the clear choice due to the weight and modern technology in terms of electronics and amplification. However, for a studio instrument, the almost 6k that even a 64 note classic vintage vibe piano will run you seems high

This hits close to my quandary. On the one hand, how could I drop six grand on one of the beauties and NOT gig it and share it with the world?! On the other hand, NO WAY I'm spending six grand on an instrument and exposing it to the risks and abuse of gigging the dives I usually play!

So I guess it is a good thing I don't have the six grand to buy one of these, so I'm not forced to confront my quandary!

I come from the background instruments are meant to be played and gear getting dinged playing gig are badges of honor. I see a pieces of gear that are worn from playing as having lots of Mojo from someone putting themselves into it.

I come from the background instruments are meant to be played and gear getting dinged playing gig are badges of honor. I see a pieces of gear that are worn from playing as having lots of Mojo from someone putting themselves into it.

I agree, up to some financial threshold which apparently is below $6,000. I assume most of us would feel uncomfortable taking a 1959 Les Paul (or a Stradivarius violin!) to a $100 bar gig. The VV is a tough test case for me to draw my personal line.

I agree, up to some financial threshold which apparently is below $6,000. I assume most of us would feel uncomfortable taking a 1959 Les Paul (or a Stradivarius violin!) to a $100 bar gig. The VV is a tough test case for me to draw my personal line.

I hear ya but with a real vintage Les Paul or Stradivarius violin but that's more about thief than getting a few more dings. One of the local high schools had an amatuer orchestra that reherased one night a week. Some girl brought a real Stradivarius that belonged to a family member to rehearsal one night to show to the conductor and others. That night a bunch of guy broke in and stole instruments to hock. They must not of known about the Strad' because they didn't even put the instruments in there cases they just threw them on the floor on a tarp and bundled them up and left. Strad never recovered. In same area was the Tom Petty's place he rehearsed and one night guys broke in and stole a ton of gear. Lucky for Petty on the idiots tried to sell one of the guitar to a local pawn shop to recognized it and call the cops. Cops came and got the guy and he told them where to get most of the other stuff stolen.

I put a deposit down on a deluxe 73 - now just need to wait patientlyâ¦

Next question: can anyone recommend a good amp that I should research to pair with this VV and a synth or two? I assume there are amps with multiple input channels if I want to rock out with a Herbie Hancock style synth command center?

I put a deposit down on a deluxe 73 - now just need to wait patientlyâ¦

Next question: can anyone recommend a good amp that I should research to pair with this VV and a synth or two? I assume there are amps with multiple input channels if I want to rock out with a Herbie Hancock style synth command center?

Fender Twin Reverb re issue. Will bring the house down :cool:

Vibrato and spring reverb for the VV channel, plain Jane for the synth channel.