Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any feedback from Vintage Vibe Piano owners?

On 5/5/2022 at 3:34 PM, Doerfler said:

If one wants a Vibanet, all that is needed is to contact the company directly. One will make a deposit, then one will wait until it is finished being built (typically a 4 to 6 month waiting period).

After that one will pay the remaining balance and it will be shipped. Easy peasy. :cool:

I ordered my Vibanet in March of 2021 and got it in November. They were apparently quite busy in that period with other work. The original lead time they gave me was three months. I'd occasionally call after the lead time had passed but hadn't heard anything. They would give me shorter and shorter estimates but it was still moving further and further out until it was nearly done.

There still is a Vibanet page on the VV site, but it's not linked from anywhere.

If you're interested in having them build you one, my suggestion is to call them. I tried to contact them online but it didn't work for some reason. When you call, you can customize the build if you want to change the top or body color/material.

• Like 2

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On 5/16/2022 at 7:23 AM, Joe Muscara said:

I ordered my Vibanet in March of 2021 and got it in November. They were apparently quite busy in that period with other work. The original lead time they gave me was three months. I'd occasionally call after the lead time had passed but hadn't heard anything. They would give me shorter and shorter estimates but it was still moving further and further out until it was nearly done.

There still is a Vibanet page on the VV site, but it's not linked from anywhere.

If you're interested in having them build you one, my suggestion is to call them. I tried to contact them online but it didn't work for some reason. When you call, you can customize the build if you want to change the top or body color/material.

Hey Joe, do you mind telling us what the final cost was? There's no price on their site...

Live Rig: CP88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Moog Sub Phatty

1 hour ago, Art-0252 said:

Hey Joe, do you mind telling us what the final cost was? There's no price on their site...

jumping in for Joe here until he sees this, I remember about a year ago a base model was somewhere just north of US $6000.

Everything in the entire world has gone up since then , I'm sure the same here

Of course in addition fancy colors and whatnot are going to add to the final cost

• Like 1
:nopity:

Dave nailed it. First, I can't speak to their current prices since things are changing in the world. Second, I ordered a custom tolex color that was $199 at the time (a custom color on the lid would have been $299, but I did not opt for that). I also had to pay for shipping. If you're lucky enough to live within driving distance of Vintage Vibe, I'm sure you could just go pick it up. I chose the lowest shipping option which was freight, so I had to go to a UPS terminal by our big airport and get it. I think I could have paid more to have it delivered to my house, but IIRC I saved a few hundred doing that. There might also have been an option to have it shipped to a commercial location, like if you work somewhere where you could have it delivered to the warehouse. That price was in between. 

The base price was $5999 plus the tolex $199 came to a total of $6198. My shipping (again this depends on the option and the distance from NJ) cost $430.

If you call them up they'll go over all these details with you. You'll probably talk to Tom. :) 

BTW, if my post above sounded like I was unhappy or complaining, I didn't mean to sound that way. While it did take longer than they said and I had hoped, I'm okay with it. They're cool guys and it's a great instrument. I'm having lots of fun with it. I just wanted to let people know of the possibility about production delays and all that. These things are hand made one at a time. If the builder has a bunch of Rhodes rebuilds and/or VV Piano builds ahead of your order, it's going to take a minute. I think I saw a recent video from them where they were getting a second guy up to speed to do some of the production work, so maybe that will help things for them and their customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

52 minutes ago, bjosko said:

Beautiful 🤩 

How is the tones made ? Tiny fragile reeds like the old Wurlitzer?

It's a tine piano.  Vintage Vibe not only acquired the original machine that fabricated the tines, they acquired the magic formula for the alloy.

The pickups are a big contributor to the tone.  I can get that tone on my ancient '67 sparkletop piano, but not on my '76 stage piano.  Different pickups.  And I'm no slouch with voicing those things.

11 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

Dave nailed it.

that's what I do. :cool:

11 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

I also had to pay for shipping. If you're lucky enough to live within driving distance of Vintage Vibe, I'm sure you could just go pick it up.

Or if your name is Darrell Hall, then they will bring it to you in exchange for video rights of the delivery ;)

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Docbop said:

New Matt Johnson Model Vintage Vibe......

Here's video of him demoing it.

So this sounds great, but driving me crazy - - at around the 25-35 sec mark, he's jamming and the VV is shaking quite a bit.  Get a rock solid stand for this thing PLEASE!! For $8-9K, this thing shouldn't be shaking, amirite?  Yes..realize this is a closeup and maybe the camera angle makes it look a bit exaggerated, but it's noticeable.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

31 minutes ago, TommyRude said:

So this sounds great, but driving me crazy - - at around the 25-35 sec mark, he's jamming and the VV is shaking quite a bit.  Get a rock solid stand for this thing PLEASE!! For $8-9K, this thing shouldn't be shaking, amirite?  Yes..realize this is a closeup and maybe the camera angle makes it look a bit exaggerated, but it's noticeable.

I took note of that in the video, too.

4 hours ago, Docbop said:

Vintage Vibe video show the new voice control.    I figure this is what they would be doing, but cool to see the mechanism at work 

Guess my post wasn't visible on the left coast :laugh: :cheers:

1 hour ago, Doerfler said:

My take is it's similar to a guitar player changing pickup positions while playing, YMMV

This isn't like a guitar player changing pickup while playing this is like adjusting the pole pieces of the pickup and distance from the string the pickup is set to.    I think what they've done is very cool, versus doing it with circuitry. 

• 1 year later...

I find this Variable Voice Control very interesting, as in my old Rhodes days (I had an early suitcase, and later a stage).  I was always moving the pickups around to try to get the sound I wanted.  But the mechanical movement of the VVC I’m seeing here seems to be moving the pickups only in the vertical plane (up and down).  Now, I understand that will indeed change the distance from the end of the tine to the pickup.  HOWEVER, the effect that I always loved and used, simply moved the pickup in and out (on the horizontal plane).  When I’d move the pickup very close to the end of the tine, man, could I get the most WONDERFUL raspy, almost distorted sound, that sounded glorious when the key was struck forte (hard / loudly)!  In listening to these demos, I do not hear that “raspy attack” changing at all, just really the overtones.  Perhaps it will do what I’d want, but I’m just not hearing it in these demos.  And wow would I be upset paying that kind of money and not being able to achieve my desired sound.  Anyone else understand the sound I’m discussing, and not hearing it here?

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.