Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC88 and YC73

On 7/1/2023 at 8:02 AM, JFN said:

The amp sim that is the front panel (Rtr A, B, Case, etc.) can be assigned to one part only. However, the Keys A and B effect slots have amp sims, distortion, and rotor effect you can select.

John

Are you talking about the distortion effects? I was looking for amp sims in the manual effects lists but didn't see any.

16 hours ago, CHarrell said:

Are you talking about the distortion effects? I was looking for amp sims in the manual effects lists but didn't see any.

Yes, I was referring to the distortion effects (British Combo, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned this for about 2 weeks, now. Occasionally I find myself wondering, "Could I still find a cheaper alternative that does what I want?" I'll look around for certain software options, the closest in approach that I can find is GSI Genuine Sounds, but the fact you can't layer is a dealbreaker. And maybe the YC keys are too heavy...and maybe the pianos could sound better...but then I adjust the velocity depth and offset, and I adjust the damper resonance, or roll off some frequencies with the filter and get a mellower sound....

I can do all of this so quickly, and I conclude that maybe there really isn't any substitute for me.

17 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

I've owned this for about 2 weeks, now. Occasionally I find myself wondering, "Could I still find a cheaper alternative that does what I want?" 

I can do all of this so quickly, and I conclude that maybe there really isn't any substitute for me.

Considering the conundrum, it doesn't read like you're totally sold on this KB but settling instead.

The *right* KB should always be a joy to turn on and play forsaking any contenders.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

Considering the conundrum, it doesn't read like you're totally sold on this KB but settling instead.

The *right* KB should always be a joy to turn on and play forsaking any contenders.😁😎

I mean to be honest, the number one thing is price: I look at all these great-sounding iOS apps etc. that cost fractions of what I'm paying for the YC...but when it comes to functionality, use, I really can't find anything to compare. My last post was to say that I have these niggles with the YC, but then I tweak a little here and a little there, and those things melt away. I have a hard time keeping myself away from the YC.

....but if there was a good all-in-one keyboard app that had good layering capabilities, that I could get for less $$....

10 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

I mean to be honest, the number one thing is price:

The horse has left the barn.   I'm assuming your time is worth money?

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

They key's aren't that heavy? I have three guys that saw mine and are all great players. They bought a YC88 because of the keybed for one thing. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

3 hours ago, Outkaster said:

They key's aren't that heavy? I have three guys that saw mine and are all great players. They bought a YC88 because of the keybed for one thing. 

I don't know if I'm describing it well, but at least on headphones (haven't tested it with my Spacestation yet), it feels the amount of force I have to apply to get decently louder velocities is way too much, especially if I try controlling external sounds. However, like I said, some quick adjustments to the touch sensitivity controls and it feels perfect.

Let me make it clear, I'm loving this board!

OK your the only one that I know that says that out of 5 people I know gigging with this board. Most are pretty accomplished. Maybe you can tweak it?   I am glad you like the board though, that's great.  It's really my favorite since the S90 series.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 5 months later...

Reviving this slightly stale thread :) Does anyone know if the YC models switch voltage internally?  They are labeled 120v on the NA models, but I am moving abroad next year and need to know if they are OK to use on 230v or if require a separate external transformer. I know there are some boards like the Nautilus and Montage that, despite their single-voltage tag from their country of sale, do switch internally. Hoping the YC is the same Thx!

Kronos 2 73, Nautilus 88, Matrixbrute, Logic, Pianoteq, NI Komplete