Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved this.

1. Nick Seymour isn't exactly the last word in technique, but man does he have a deep pocket. His sense of time slays me on every listen

2. Neil Finn has a harp in his home studio. That's the last word in cool.

3. Whoever said (I paraphrase) "it's better with a Hammond on it" is absolutely right.

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks for posting this! Inspiring to hear, and very timely. No offense meant to other artists, but most of the the album-based cover versions that have been released simply don't do it for me; Paul Young's version was very well done though. This song is a favorite, maybe even the top of the bunch for me. Loved its use in the original movie version of Stephen King's The Stand.

Covered it once, and am grateful that the band agreed to stick close to the original arrangement. Simple, but very soulful keyboard parts.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My favorite part of this song is the guitar hammer-ons after the organ solo, which always reminded me of Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary - and he BLEW IT on this version. Other than that, very nice.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Very cool! I've always wanted to try this in a band, this might be one to pull out for certain gigs. First--if I want to sing it--I'll do a cover at home and present to the band. Head voice aside, he has a bit higher range than me, though we play a half-step down anyway. I used to sing Something So Strong and that was a bit of a stretch.

I JUST realized I had one of the lyrics wrong despite hearing this since forever...."To build a wall between us" I always heard as "To be the war between us"...the actual lyrics make more sense :) Just one of those things you hear wrong and then cement it in.

ya know, on the second organ solo, he really blew it on the grace note by 6 milliseconds. Other than that it was great ----- says the Oddly Overly Critical Keyboard Forum.

I thought people had been universally positive about this, and Froom in particular. What did I miss?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I JUST realized I had one of the lyrics wrong despite hearing this since forever...."To build a wall between us" I always heard as "To be the war between us"...the actual lyrics make more sense :) Just one of those things you hear wrong and then cement it in.

Same.

www.joshweinstein.com

ya know, on the second organ solo, he really blew it on the grace note by 6 milliseconds. Other than that it was great ----- says the Oddly Overly Critical Keyboard Forum.

I thought people had been universally positive about this, and Froom in particular. What did I miss?

My favorite part of this song is the guitar hammer-ons after the organ solo, which always reminded me of Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary - and he BLEW IT on this version. Other than that, very nice.

This..... Yes it has been a positive thread. the above stood out to me.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Got it. It's a next-generation Finn on guitar, so he probably got a pass on this.

www.joshweinstein.com

Well c'mon. Blew it plus very nice. Doesn't that balance out to pretty nice? or nice minus? I didn't mean to tweak anyone's knobs, but that particular part is where I always turn up the car radio in anticipation, and I was looking forward to hearing it in this one too.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Whiter Shade of Pale for the 80's, to me, which joins it on my list of secular "hymns" that are fun to play on the A100 as I stumble along on the pedals.

I remember in '86 how the charts were so DX7 crazy. I think it had been a while since a hit song had featured a B3 solo, then there was this one and Huey Lewis' Stuck On You.

Whiter Shade of Pale for the 80's, to me, which joins it on my list of secular "hymns" that are fun to play on the A100 as I stumble along on the pedals.

I remember in '86 how the charts were so DX7 crazy. I think it had been a while since a hit song had featured a B3 solo, then there was this one and Huey Lewis' Stuck On You.

This for sure.

When this came out, I had just moved to West Hollywood after (mercifully) graduating from college, and heard not the song, but a radio advertisement for the album on the radio. The ad played a snippet of the tune and part of the organ solo. I was so moved by the song I drove directly to the Tower Records on Sunset and bought the single. I also recognized the nod to Whiter Shade of Pale.

It remains one of my desert- island songs, and the reason I bought the new Hammond XB-2 when it came out a couple of years later after seeing it at the NAMM Show.

I have briefly played it in a band, and it was tad too high for me in the original key. Next time I'd move it down a step...solo in D.

Here's a version of Neil playing with string section playing the organ and guitar solos. It sounds lovely as well...

This song is so haunting. A masterpiece in my opinion. Great organ solo. One thing that struck me while trying to play this tune real quick by ear a couple of years ago was how non intuitive the vocal melody was in relation to the chords. And how brilliant it is!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Tangentially... "ENZSO" is a bunch of fully orchestrated Split Enz songs, I think it's wonderful...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

what is the instrument above Mitchell Froom's Hammond?
Looks like it could be a Virginal.
Thanks JB. I had to go and look that up - it certainly looks like a virginal. However a virginal doesn't match the sound - Mitchell's tone is very much that of a bell/tine/glockenspiel, while a virginal resembles a harpsichord in tone.

Maybe he's gutted it, put in a scanner and a MIDI conversion kit?

EDIT: I've always pictured a celeste as resembling a 5-octave miniature upright piano. But you can get 3-octave "tabletop" celestes - however I haven't seen any with the reverse black/brown keys and the mechanism to the side

Cheers, Mike.