Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: How many soccer fans here?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todays games:

Latvia v Germany

Latvia and Germany have met just twice before with both matches taking place in the 1930s. The first was a 3-0 home win for the Germans in 1935. Two years later, the Germans won 3-1 in Riga.

Holland v Czech Rep

These two have met 16 times before with eight wins for the Czechs, four for the Dutch and four draws.

-----------------

Update on yesterdays games:

Bulgaria 0-2 Denmark

Italy 1-1 Sweden

Group C situation:

Bulgaria is out, they can not make it to the quarter finals.

Italy must win over Bulgaria to stand a chance.

If Sweden v Denmark ends with a 2-2 result, Italy is out even if they win over Bulgaria.

Sweden will make it to the quarter finals if: no loss against Denmark or Denmark wins over Sweden and Italy loses against Bulgaria (not very likely scenario...)

Denmark will make it to the quarter finals if:

* they win over Sweden or Italy doesn't win over Bulgaria.

* Denmark v Sweden ends with a draw of 1-1 and Italy beats Bulgaria with only one goal.

* Denmark v Sweden ends with a draw of at least 2-2

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

That Bulgaria match was terrible.

I hope the team apologise to all the Bulgarians who saved up and travelled to see that.

Looks like our 'fans' have been causing more trouble. If we got thrown out of the tournament I wouldn't complain ... maybe that's the only way to get through to these pricks?

How was the Sweden Italy match?

I missed it.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Well, i missed both matches last night due to a meeting going on for longer than it should have :(

I heard that Match Of the Day showed the penalty that Zidane took against England and that he was vomiting before he took that kick.

Did anyone notice this because i sure missed it and why on earth was he sick? was it nerves or heat exhaustion?

Anyone?

"How was the Sweden Italy match?"

The first half belonged to Italy. The second half was much more exciting and intense.

If you can find it, see a replay of Zlatan's goal - amazing, really!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40289000/jpg/_40289805_ibrahimovich203ap.jpg

Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores with a flick!

Well, Germany couldn't beat the mighty Latvia.

Obviously this means they'll sneak through in the last game, beat England in the semis and win the thing.

The Czech V Dutch game just reached half time and it's a really, really good game.

Looks like Nistelrooy and pals turned up today and not those strange clones who can't play football that sometimes show up instead.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

What a game!!!!!!!!!

The ref was bad though ... should've been substituted for Collina at half time.

Originally posted by Rog:

What a game!!!!!!!!!

The ref was bad though ... should've been substituted for Collina at half time.

Too Right!

Outstanding and the best game so far thats been of a high standard! (bar England that is ;) but I'm biased!)

That ref giving out redcards for nothing is beyond a joke but overall a brilliantly fast paced game...

Tomorrow, Spain V Portugal so my prediction is 2-1 Spain

Knowing us, we'll end up with Collina on Monday Rog which i'm not sure is a good thing or bad, what do you reckon?

Colllina is the best by a mile. I hope he does get the gig, that match will need a strong ref.

If anyone is interested in footie and you can catch the Holland V Czech match then watch it :)

Playing today:

Portugal v Spain

Russia v Greece

-------------------------

Yesterdays results:

Latvia 0-0 Germany

Czech Republic 3-2 Holland

Group D:

Czech Republic is now qualified for quarter finals.

Germany must win over Czech Republic to not get eliminated.

The winner of Holland v Latvia will make the quarter finals if Czech Republic beats Germany.

I predict that Holland will make it to the quarters.

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

Allthough I'm dutch I still think they don't deserve the quarters. I've never seen them play so bad.

Problem is that if the Orange ones score, they right away think that they've allready won, the lazy overpayed bastards. We used to be the best,.. now we're the laziest.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Originally posted by Bunny.:

World Cup 1998 Final: legitimate?

I'm generally not one to suggest international football conspiracy theories, but was this victory just a bit too much of a coincidence for anyone other than me? ;)

I mean, really, at home against the Brazillians??? Come on. :rolleyes::D

Vive la France et le Brésil! :thu:

No Bunny you're off target there.

France won because they were the best team. Brazil were a mess in that game though. Ronaldo was unfit but played anyway, many think this was due to his massive sponsorship with Nike. Whatever it was, he shouldn't have been playing but he did.

Ronaldo is/was a great talent but the real star of recent years is Zinedine Zidane. Two goals in that World Cup final; a stunning volley in the 2002 Champions League final; countless sparkling performances, goals and assists in all the big games; immense leadership.

Zidane has captured the World Cup, the European Championship, the Champions League aswell as Cups and league titles in France, Italy and Spain.

The best

Originally posted by boosh:

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

Allthough I'm dutch I still think they don't deserve the quarters. I've never seen them play so bad.

Problem is that if the Orange ones score, they right away think that they've allready won, the lazy overpayed bastards. We used to be the best,.. now we're the laziest.

I thought they played well. It's not like they drew against Latvia or anything ;)

The Czechs are a great team and that was never a red card.

Did anyone see the Spain v Portugal match tonight?

Tell me Rog, Mats you watched it! :rolleyes:

Well paced, easy for Portugal and well played 1st half but the 2nd half was sloppy and to many chances went to Spain.

Man of the match has to be Ronaldo. The guy was fast paced with good posession for most of the game so a shock when he was taken of, Figo, well the big guy played well. Cant not give him that!

I really enjoyed that game and cant wait for England to play tomorrow...

Rogs, line up mate... What do you reackon as i hear Owen may not be playing and i think we will be 1-0 in the first half with a 2-0 win easily over Croatia. :thu:

Predictions please people.

It was an OK match, Portugal rode their luck a bit but I'm glad they made it through.

If Rooney is worth 50 mil how much for Ronnie? :)

I hope Owen starts, he'll get one sooner or later, I've got a feeling he'll get one tomorrow now the defence is going to be all over Rooney .... there will be space for Owen and Scholsey.

Vassell is a great sub but he's one of those players who doesn't know what to do with himself when he plays a full 90 minutes.

I can't make a prediction, I just hope we get a result tomorrow and i hope that, if we make it through, we don't suffer from any suspensions.

That's one thing that pisses me off .... too many yellow cards in this tournament. I'd hate to see a final where all the best players are missing.

No footie for me this evening, I had to work... :cry:

Anyways, here are the results:

Russia 2 - 1 Greece

Spain 0 - 1 Portugal

Tomorrow is another day of excitement!:

Croatia v England

Switzerland v France

"Goalkeeper Joey Didiluca confirmed that his team would be out to provoke Rooney.

"The manager has told us to prey on Rooney's weakness," he said.

"Hopefully for us, something will pop in his head. If we can provoke him in the right way, he will definitely lash out.

"He is a fanatic and when you are playing off emotions like that, a red card is inevitable," Didiluca added."

Is it just me or is this kinda shit completely out of order?

Originally posted by Rog:

"Goalkeeper Joey Didiluca confirmed that his team would be out to provoke Rooney.

"The manager has told us to prey on Rooney's weakness," he said.

"Hopefully for us, something will pop in his head. If we can provoke him in the right way, he will definitely lash out.

"He is a fanatic and when you are playing off emotions like that, a red card is inevitable," Didiluca added."

Is it just me or is this kinda shit completely out of order?

Its not you....that is bang out of order!!!

The man has not concept of what England let alone what Rooneys about! :mad:

I dont see emotion in there but sheer skill and sportsmanship!

Tosser and just for that, i know our boys will go out and play well and win!!

I hope Rooney can keep his head and I think the Croats have shown their hand too early with all that talk of winding him up. It would've been more sensible not to forewarn Rooney.

I know every manager will identify opponents who can be wound up and tell their players to go and needle them. Maybe it's hypocracy but talking about it in public does nothing for the image of the game.

Oh well, they need a win, we don't. It seems they're worring too much about our game ad not enough about theirs which should suit us well. Let them worry about Rooney instead of worrying about Owen, Scholes, Lampard, Gerard and Beckham.

I hear they're pretty handy too ;)

From The Guardian,

"Croatia hatch plan to make Rooney see red

Daniel Taylor in Lisbon

Monday June 21, 2004

The Guardian

If evidence were still needed about how Wayne Rooney's reputation, the good and the bad, now precedes him throughout Europe it was provided yesterday in the humble surroundings of Croatia's training camp in the dusty old village of Couco, 50 miles east of Lisbon.

"If we can provoke him in the right way, he'll definitely lash out," promised the goalkeeper Joey Didulica. "He's a fanatic and, trust me, when you play off emotion like that a red card is inevitable."

This could be dismissed as kidology were it not for the disclosure that Otto Baric, Croatia's curmudgeonly national coach who was 71 on Saturday, summoned his players to a special meeting last night during which the flaws in Rooney's temperament were dissected at even greater length than his strengths in front of goal. Ranked 25th in the world by Fifa, Croatia's team may be weaker than England's but not if Rooney is sent off. And Didulica was in no mood to offer apologies - or even the faintest hint of one - as he detailed the team's crude instructions.

"The manager has told us to prey on Rooney's weaknesses," said the Austria Vienna goalkeeper, whose upbringing in Australia has clearly taught him a thing or two about the art of sledging. "Our defenders are under orders to slide in and try to take him a few times. Then, just you see, we will get the reaction we want. No problems.

"As far as we are concerned, all is fair in love, war and football. You have to use every little tactic you can. It's not a dirty tactic - it's just a tactic that is there. He's young and he's shown he can't deal with it. So let's see what happens."

Sven-Goran Eriksson ought to be grateful that Pierluigi Collina, Italy's strong-minded referee, will be in charge, but the England coach may be concerned about the way Rooney responds in the face of such provocation.

Having already been booked for an ill-judged challenge on the Swiss goalkeeper Jörg Stiel in Coimbra last Thursday, Rooney will be suspended from the hoped-for quarter-final if he sees yellow again. Steve McClaren, Eriksson's assistant, indicated yesterday that Gary Neville and David Beckham would have the unofficial roles of Rooney's "minders" but they have enough to think about already and the 18-year-old may need to show a level of control that has been conspicuously lacking in the past.

"I think Rooney has been playing above himself but hopefully for this game he'll come back down to earth," continued Didulica. "He's definitely a good player and he's aggressive, but that is maybe to our advantage. He's young and impulsive, and hopefully for us something could pop in his head, like with his studs up to the Swiss goalkeeper.

"To me that was a red card. Even if he just caught him a little bit the intention was there and the studs were up. That just goes to show he's not quite there yet. After his booking he then had 10 minutes when he was charging around even more fired up and he made another tackle that could have brought him another booking. He's not like [Zinédine] Zidane - a player like him just wouldn't do that. He wouldn't be so fired up that he would be committing those tackles and risking a red card."

It may, of course, just be mind games but Baric, who intends to deploy the Juventus centre-half Igor Tudor as a defensive midfielder, has moulded a team with a cynical edge. Uefa has already fined them for having five players booked in their match against Switzerland and they picked up another four yellow cards against France. As well as having the tallest squad in the tournament, Croatia seem intent on being recognised as the dirtiest side in Portugal.

"Believe me, never fight a Croat," Giovanni Rosso, their right-sided midfielder, said. "All of our life we are fighting. That spirit is not just in football but every sport. We don't have any snow in Croatia but we even have the Olympic champion skier (Janica Kostelic]. It's in our genetics, in our make-up. God gave the Croatians our fighting spirit. England will be a very tough match but we will see who runs more, who fights more and we know that no one will show greater spirit than us."

Scottish fans have sent Dado Prso, Croatia's pony-tailed striker, a piece of turf torn up from Wembley when fans invaded the pitch after the 2-1 defeat of England in 1977. Prso, who is joining Rangers next season, has promised to place it behind David James's goal."

Things I don't like about Soccer[futbol].

whenever the offense gets close to the goal, they start kicking the ball back and back and back to their own goalie, and they start all over again... why?

Soccer players fake fouls, sometimes they don't even get touched and they fall and cry like ladies, why?

People spend 90 minutes watching a game that ends 0-0....is that exciting???

On a penalty shot:

Is very unfair for the goalie, he has to cover the whole space, and can't move foward or talked to the kicker [??]The goalie should be allowed to moved forward, scream, or whatever...It's unfair, golaies don't have a chance unless the kicker misses high or wide or kick too soft..

On the other hand:

Too many teams..

Too many tournaments...

Too many Diffrent Cups...

Too many games going @ the same time...

I only whatch the world cup, and when Mexico or USA play...the rest of the time, I watch American Football, basketball, Tennis, MExican Wrestilng[i like to see the guys flying :D ]

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

"whenever the offense gets close to the goal, they start kicking the ball back and back and back to their own goalie, and they start all over again... why?"

It's better to keep the ball rather than just push forward and give the ball away under most circumstances. You have to pick and choose your moments to go for it.

"Soccer players fake fouls, sometimes they don't even get touched and they fall and cry like ladies, why?"

To get a free kick/penalty and get an opposing player booked. If a player is caught diving he can get a yellow card.

"People spend 90 minutes watching a game that ends 0-0....is that exciting???"

It depends on the game. Americans seem to have this wierd mentality that a higher scoring game is automatically a better one. I've seen thrilling 0-0 draws and boring 3-0 matches.

"On a penalty shot:

Is very unfair for the goalie, he has to cover the whole space, and can't move foward or talked to the kicker [??]The goalie should be allowed to moved forward, scream, or whatever...It's unfair, golaies don't have a chance unless the kicker misses high or wide or kick too soft.."

Plenty of penalties are saved. Besides, the point of a penalty is to punish the side that fouled ... it's hardly a punishment if the keeper has the advantage, is it?

"On the other hand:

Too many teams.."

It's a very popular sport.

"Too many tournaments..."

Ditto

"Too many Diffrent Cups..."

Ditto

"Too many games going @ the same time..."

I think it's pretty much standard to only have one game taking place on a pitch at a time ;)

"I only whatch the world cup"

Umm ...

I think England will beat Croatia, but it won't be by much. 2 good teams, both are very determined to win.

Switzerland will not stand a chance against France. Trivia: France did not lose one game during the qualifying series (they had 29-2 points or something).

Archived