Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acts that Should Retire!!

quote:Originally posted by Phait:

This is probably ironic but as much as I enjoy Reznor's music in Nine Inch Nails, I'm starting to wonder whats up with the stuff after all these years and he just turned 39.

Naw... rumors say that he's cooking a new album produced this time by Rick Rubin. BTW, Tool's Maynard James Keenan is like 40, and still kickin' with APC and other projects. I don't think those guys should retire. (I'm wondering whatever happened to Trent's studio at New Orleans, though).

Something you guys might find interesting is an interview from (gasp!) MTV that i recently dug up about Maynard. Particularly topical to the Trent/age thing is the section:

Loder: You seem a lot less angry now than you were back in the early Tool days. Do you worry about the fans who say they miss that old, angry Maynard?

Keenan: No. You can go out and buy the records. There's Opiate [a 1992 EP], there's Undertow. The whole idea is to get it out: Write the song about it, spout off about it and get over it. I suppose I could repeat myself over and over again, but what's the point of that? The idea is, if I can't heal from my art, then how can you heal? So I've worked some things out and moved on.

The full interview is

here for your reading enjoyment.

Oh yeah, btw.. My mom digs Tool.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man people love Britney around here! Such concern, I'm sure she can feel the love, poor thing. :love::love::love::love::love:

I'm curious, where are you guys getting your information on how Britney is doing? From the tabloids?

Re retiring, I think the entire genre of rock, and everyone in it, should retire, it's way way past dead. And the electric guitar should retire, and songs in the key of E, G, A, and D should retire.

Celebrities who should retire: Bush, Rumsfeld, and the rest of those talentless clowns.

I saw a lot of bands last year and I still think it's cool that the best two by a long way were also by far the oldest, Paul McCartney and The Stones. NO WAY they should retire (not from playing live anyway, from recording new albums, maybe)!!!! They love playing, the audience loves listening, they'll keep going 'til they drop!!!

And Keef is indestructable so that'll be a loooong time yet!!!!

Much as it saddens me to say, the only people I think should retire are the remaining members of Queen, Brian May & Roger Taylor (since John Deacon has already disappeared with some dignity). I loved the We Will Rock You musical, but as for the rest of it, collaborations with teeny-bopper bands etc, PLEASE have some self-respect guys!!!!!!!! :cry:

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

You can't dictate personal taste...the record companies will be learning this soon hopefully ;)

Darkon the Incandescent

Er... I think the record companies have already proven you wrong on that count, most of the record buying public DO have their musical tastes read out to them by the record companies. Soon be at a point where they'll just be billing them a monthly subscription and sending out a pre-selected cd of pop idol type drivel!!!!

I pick most record executives to retire!!!! Now THAT would help the industry!!! :thu:

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Ok.. First, I respect your opinion that Britney should get out if it's hurting her. That's justified concern for another human being. Not a blithe comment insinuating she's washed up or not relevant to her audience and should leave, which in my opinion is exactly what Lefsetz is saying.

Originally posted by Anderton:

<< You seem to have produced quite a bit of written work. Perhaps you should give it up because someone out there with a big mouth doesn't appreciate it.>>

I can honestly say that I have switched careers a few times because I felt I didn't have anything more to say. For example, I used to do a lot of analog design work, but after a while, I knew that period was over.

For some reason, I've never felt that way about writing. But someday I'm sure I will, and will move on to something else. Or at least write a lot less.

You're making my point for me, Craig! ;) It's nobody's place to tell you to get off the stage if the audience still wants you and you still feel the desire to perform. (Or write... or design analog circuits. ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

"I want to sit at home in my rockin' chair

Don't want to travel the world

As far as I'm concerned I've had my share

My time's more precious than gold.

I don't wanta see another aeroplane seat

or another hotel room.

Home life to me seems really neat

Just gotta get back and soon.

Buy me a ticket, homeward bound."

..."Homeward Bound" by Christine Perfect (McVie) from "Bare Trees", 1972.

It appears Christine is finally taking her own advice, as I understand she declined touring this time. For this album, the lineup was:

Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine Perfect, Danny Kirwan, and Bob Welch.

Britney was a show business child and as such may be falling into unreality. She could slide into the Judy Garland/ Janis Joplin/ Kurt Cobain (to span three generations) whirlpool. Her "marriage" could be a symptom. I can see Craig's concern. I recently ran into a BBC Cat Stevens acoustic concert that was wonderful. Here's a guy who quit at the peak and went into a religious retreat that endures to date. He doesn't appear to be second-guessing his path.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

<>

Actually the point was more along the lines of I got out BEFORE people started saying I was getting stale, or my new stuff wasn't as good as my old stuff. I really think it's important to go out while you're still viable, but that's just me and I'm not saying everyone should do it.

But I generally agree that if people want you there, you might as well give them what they want. But sometimes there are other elements involved, like with sports figures. Their trainers are saying if you play another year, you're going to blow out your knees, or destroy your arm, or whatever. But it's so hard to give up a sport you love that it's hard to listen to those people. I put Britney Spears and Courtney Love in the same category -- they want that rush and find it hard to let go, even temporarily.

It's very poignant, actually. We all know that "all things must pass" but sometimes, we're the last ones to see it...whether it's a job, a relationship, or whatever. We keep hanging on in the hopes that somehow the magic will return, but past a certain point, the odds are against it.

I don't laugh at the people who are running on empty. I don't feel sorry for them, either, nor do I feel contempt. Sometimes stuff happens, and things go in cycles. We're not always in the positive quadrant of the cycle, and how we react to that situation varies considerably.

Hmm, well, if you were still having a good time playing lucrative gigs and people were still coming to see your perform on a regular basis, how would you like it if someone forced YOU to retire? If you still have an audience, you should gig as often as you want.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

This thread isn't about forcing people to retire, it started off as acts/people you wish would retire. As of now, there is no Committe for the Mandatory Retirement of Artists. Well, at least not in this country.

Okay, I'll rephrase my opinion. ;)

How would you like it if, while you were still gigging and showing audiences a good time, that a whole bunch of people were sitting around speculating over the internet that you should be put out to pasture?

:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

<

Honestly, if they've been around that long, are gigging, and showing audiences a good time, they probably have a thick enough skin to handle far worse than a bunch of people hanging out on the internet making idle observations. I've been attacked several times in forum discussions (not so much here, other places) and I basically feel it goes with the territory.

Originally posted by Anderton:

<

The Rolling Stone interview was a while ago, but it was pretty interesting. Don't know if you would consider that a tabloid or not.

It's not exactly Psychology Today. What specifically was said that makes you believe she's a step away from suicide?

I haven't seen the interview yet, but I found this quote from Britney in regards to Rolling Stone:

"As far as photo shoots go, W, Rolling Stone, whatever, the pictures are really sexy," she said, "but actually, when I did the photo shoots, I was sometimes in ball gowns and nice dresses, and of course they used the pictures where I'm half nude... The one on the cover of Rolling Stone, that was my first time ever to be on the cover of a magazine and not have my top on.

"People like the pictures, I like the pictures, but I hate the interview," she continued. "[Writer Mark Binelli] was so rude, I almost got up and left. He made me come across in such a horrible light. You suck, reporter! And I'm not afraid to say that, because he was really wrong. He hurt my feelings. And I wouldn't even bring it up because I'm giving him my energy and he doesn't deserve my energy. I went on a rampage. Sorry about that."

Originally posted by DWBass:

I don't think the acts should retire but they could at least get in shape and look good while performing! Case in point, KC & The Sunshine Band! KC is fat and sweaty and attempts to dance with his dancers during shows and it's downright embarrasing! I'm sure he wants to be taken serious but I think most folks are laughing at him and not with him! The older cats like the Stones and the like should get haircuts, tamer clothing and, well, dammit...just grow up already!

I agree about K.C. Now when he sings "Shake Your Booty", it can get dangerous for the first three rows!

Dylan might look somewhat like a walking corpse, but he still puts out very good new stuff. And for me, that's the key. Some of those mentioned SHOULD call it quits simply out of respect for their own legend. Some can still cut the muster.

But, just how do you convince the ones that SHOULD give it up TO give it up?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I think that it's absolutely impossible to please all of the people all of the time. No matter how good you are...some folks will like you and some will think you suck. For every artist I like, someone else thinks they suck, and vice versa.

I remember seeing the CSNY2K tour. Steve Stills, one of my fave vocalists, sounded froggy that night, and hardly sang any of the tunes. Out in the foyer at Kemper in the snack line, a bunch of guys were dissing Stills, saying how much he sucks now and should just quit. I didn't know the guys, and they're entitled to their opinion, but I thought, "Shit, Stephen Stills has done a fuck of a lot more than you'll ever be able to dream about...and you obviously were cool with him at one time...so what the fuck is the deal?"

Easy solution. If you think someone you used to like now sucks and should be put out to pasture, don't go see their show or buy their CD...easy! ;)

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

So it appears the concensus view here is that if you like the act, they should keep going forever, but if you don't like them, they should retire regardless of age.

Here is my take on it... George Forman.

He was a great boxer. He is a funny guy and I like him a lot. He wants to fight again and I think that is sad.

Why would anybody want to watch him be an inadequate immage of his former self? Why would anybody want to watch him fail? Why can't we just remember him in his greatness? I don't want to remember George as a fat failure.

This is what happenes with some of the former greats. They are still trying to pretend they are the same people they were in their good days.

I find it sad to see Mick trying to pretend he is still a kid. Good or bad, he looks like a cartoon to me, as do most of the remaining 60's rock stars that are still out there.

If the artist can still perform, still deliver the goods and still be fresh, then there is no limit on how long they can perform, but if all they do is rehash their greatest hits..in a lower key since they cannot hit the notes anymore..then they should go.

I remember hearing Paul Desmond a year before he died. An old man standing at the front of the stage with no microphone, in a shabby brown suit, playing "Take Five" with Brubeck.

He knocked my socks off.... A fresh perspective on a tune he had done a thousand times.

Compare that to an old guy struggling to simply get through a past hit....say "Satisfaction".

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Three bands I've seen recently that I'm glad HAVEN'T retired:

Earth, Wind, and Fire

The Skatelites

War

They may have had rough tours, years, or even decades, they may only have a few original members left (Skatelites have something like 6 of 9 original members from 40 YEARS AGO) but they're STRONG now!

<<"[Writer Mark Binelli] was so rude, I almost got up and left. He made me come across in such a horrible light. You suck, reporter! And I'm not afraid to say that, because he was really wrong. He hurt my feelings. And I wouldn't even bring it up because I'm giving him my energy and he doesn't deserve my energy. I went on a rampage. Sorry about that.>>

Hmmmmm...I wonder whether he told the truth and she didn't like it, or he made up stuff and she's calling him on it. Guess I'll never know.

Archived