Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Billy Payne Still Killing It / Little Feat 50th Anniversary

Doerfler

Phil, you da man....great post... Billy is noted for his facility and then some!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet, Phil! Great hearing about your experience. That style, along with the material Matt Rollings and Jim Cox cover with Lyle Lovett, is right in my wheelhouse; but there'd certainly be a lot of repertoire shedding for a sub date. That said, the work of all three of those guys is a great springboard for my creativity. Love the far outside licks, even when they mess with me at first :laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

If you get a chance you should read the keyboard magazine interview where he is talking about not having something to offer in the 80s. Not sure what issue it is but I have it at home. He said he got some good players to tell him Listen Billy we cant sit down and do what you do either He felt really bad about his playing for a long time. He told me that he liked a lot of Professor Long Hair and Dr. John. He also likes Chuck Leveal as a player. He is just a monster player.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Every single time I have heard Little Feat live, the very first thing that comes to my mind during the opening song is -

"How in #$%^ can they groove so hard, so slowly???"

Absolutely. Best live band ever. And that really didn't come across in their studio albums IMO.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I have a concert DVD of LF during the Lowell George days. It was recorded at a German venue, right around the time of Waiting For Columbus live album. Lots of good footage of Billy's hands at the piano, especially during his Dixie Chicken solo. Good education for any aspiring piano player.

Every single time I have heard Little Feat live, the very first thing that comes to my mind during the opening song is -

"How in #$%^ can they groove so hard, so slowly???"

Same.

Them and Ray Charles.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I have a concert DVD of LF during the Lowell George days. It was recorded at a German venue, right around the time of Waiting For Columbus live album. Lots of good footage of Billy's hands at the piano, especially during his Dixie Chicken solo. Good education for any aspiring piano player.
Was that one of the Rockpalast releases (for some reason there were two versions)? Having never seen Feat live in the Lowell era (too young, only found out about them after the reformation), those early shows are a revelation. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am trying to find footage I saw years ago of Billy playing with James Taylor. I think it was a Germany concert and he was playing "How Sweet it Is" and just killin it behind James Taylor. It was years ago but I never saw it since.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Was that one of the Rockpalast releases (for some reason there were two versions)? Having never seen Feat live in the Lowell era (too young, only found out about them after the reformation), those early shows are a revelation. :thu:

Yes it was RockPalast. Yes there are two DVDs of the same show - the better DVD is called RockPalast Live.

Yes it was RockPalast. Yes there are two DVDs of the same show - the better DVD is called RockPalast Live.
I have them both. I don't remember if I didn't know it was the same, or if I bought the second one, called Skin It Back, because it has different material.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Billy pretty much changed my piano/keyboard playing life for modern blues/roots based music like he has for many players across the country...So glad he's still out there..yes he got depressed about his playing...the guy I study with who is in his late 70's remind me all the time... sometimes folks who make it young like Billy and many others , when they get older, their whole thing gets sort of based on their success, not their 'development' and I think at that time Billy was in that funk is my guess... My teaching buddy cited Toscanini who actually started music later in life (20's) as an example of someone who skirted that issue he felt... but I wouldn't want to say I know what was in BP's head about how he felt about that period in regard to his playing....yeah... I heard he was comparing himself to studio cats in LA... those skills he felt he didn't or couldn't get with ...but the best thing about studing Jazz and NO music is the concept of the 'Professional Cat'... I think he felt he needed to be that.... but Like Dr. John says.... there are Professional Cats and then there are the Other Cats....even in Jazz...Lennie Tristano said if he had to play like someone else he probably shoot himself.... taking bout someone (can't remember) who was like a Berklee music piano graduate type.. a lot of chops and all....different flavors of icecream and approaches makes the world go round...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

That was just it he was comparing himself to Jeff Lorber and other guys. The thing is he is so far above them in his ability to weave in and out of different styles. I will see if I can scan that part of the article.

noblevibes.com

Archived