Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why I like Prog

The Real MC

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[video:youtube]

I know, not a 70s group... ;):D

In their defense, they didnt actually put that track on the album. When ELP tried to be less high-minded than was their proclivity, their record was a bit spotty.

That said, Im a staunch defender of Benny the Bouncer. Killer track.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

The revelation came to me during teardown of last night's gig and someone had played "I was made for loving you" on the jukebox. Kiss does d-d-d-disco, please kill me now. Back in the disco era I cringed at many groups who "sold out" recording a disco song, but was hard pressed to recall any prog group doing the same.

None of the 70s prog groups ever recorded a disco song.

This comes close, starting at about 1:50.

But it's still good, ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Off the top of my head the closest thing is Turn to Stone - ELO. But here there was no Prog Rock during the Disco era. Prog is a more modern revisionist label because everybody wants to label various album rock styles. It's all just KSHE Real Rock Radio.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

None of the 70s prog groups ever recorded a disco song.

This comes close, starting at about 1:50.

But it's still good, ;-)

OT-Loved these guys. Couple of early CD's I bought were "A Tab in the Ocean" and "Remember the Future".

Around 1979, they relocated to Summit, NJ. I purchased Taff Freeman's B3 & Leslie (in road cases). The cases had RENTAK stenciled on them - maybe they didn't "own" them? IDK.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

The cases had RENTAK stenciled on them - maybe they didn't "own" them? IDK.

I'd guess they bought them used, and that was a previous owner.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

R & B ,Soul and funk preceded Disco

In the 80;s funk rhythms further evolved.

all these heavy bass, repetitive beats were the DNA for House/techno, industrial, hip-hop and even EDM.

Yes, I know, one can disparage disco for excessiveness, blah blah.

But it played an important role as it contributed to later rhythmic genres.

Music would be boring to me if all we had was 5 decades of only prog.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

There have been a few times that Prog band do danceable Disco (and later Techno), and almost every time, it's fantastic. The big problem with disco (other than a lot of it being electronic), is that it's soulless and uncreative, so when a prog band does something like that, it's really different and off the wall, love it. Ruch: The Weapon is a bit slow to be technically disco, but it's damned close, and one of my favorite tracks on Signals. Another example is Yes's "Lightning Strikes" which is 7/8 House with a flute section.

"Another Brick in the Wall" may be disco, but there's that grey area in there, along with "Another One Bites the Dust" where it really works, and doesn't come with ANY of the negative strings that I usually attach to disco.

PS: Funky Town is a great tune.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I'm afraid you're wrong, and this embodies all the reasons I stopped listening to Genesis after And Then There Three..........also reminds me how awful the miming was on Top of the Pops.......

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/v7ag0HFQkvQ

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

R & B ,Soul and funk preceded Disco

In the 80;s funk rhythms further evolved.

all these heavy bass, repetitive beats were the DNA for House/techno, industrial, hip-hop and even EDM.

Yes, I know, one can disparage disco for excessiveness, blah blah.

But it played an important role as it contributed to later rhythmic genres.

Music would be boring to me if all we had was 5 decades of only prog.

I'm personally very happy if you exclude "House/techno, industrial, hip-hop and even EDM" - nowhere on my Xmas list ;)

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Disco kicks ass without the constant incessant wankery. The Ohio Players, KC and the Sunshine Band, Kool and the Gang, Chic, The Gap Band, The Spinners, The Emotions...... Great tunes, great grooves.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Such enlightening rationale for justifying and proselytizing musical tastes - once again :rolleyes: . But at my age and that of many on this forum can anyone convince anyone they should or shouldn't like something?

Btw dark chocolate Moose Munch kicks ass!

http://www.browniebites.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/caramel-chocolate-popcorn-moose-munch-recipe-01.jpg

Considering it's Xmas there is a lot of ass-kicking on this forum - you Colonial types are far too aggressive! :laugh:

Look at Tony Banks's expression (eg at 2.12) - he's having a great time!

Nah, he always looks bored!

Archived