Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modern songs that should be played in jazz world?

chigson

I'm not familiar with it as much as I'd like to, but it feels that in 20th century more songs were turned to 'jazz' compared to nowadays. E.g. cartoons, movies songs and many others.

I don't encounter this tradition in modern jazz musicians. Maybe I'm wrong and someone can point me where to look?

if you can't tell the difference, does it matter?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There seem to be a lot of covers of Radiohead songs (most notably by Brad Mehldau.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

People do it all the time, though maybe not as much as in the days of GASB/Standards. I have a few ideas of my own but haven't worked them out yet.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A few years back there were a lot of 80s song turned Jazz here in Brazil. You'd hear it a lot in restaurants.

Everything from Michael Jackson, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, U2, Madonna, Simple Minds, Van Halen, Kim Carnes, Nena, Prince and so forth.

There were some 90s tunes as well, but 80s by large was the popular choice.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I know it's not going to be of much help, but I've been working on jazzyfying Italian songs for a while now. I have included a few in my jazz records, and now I would be ready to do an entire album of this material - if only someone would help me to produce it. :freak::D

Italian melodic pop from the late 60s on offers a good choice of material. Of course, knowing the lyrics and the overall tone of each song helps a lot in choosing an expressive direction for reharmonization. The mood of an arrangement can go from extreme intensity:

[video:youtube]

to downright sabotage:

Postmodern Jukebox is pretty good for adaptations of all sorts of music into different genres.

- last song is the best

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Good points! I've listened to both Mehldau and Glasper's covers before, thanks for pointing it out

To develop on a subject -- what are some songs that you thing should be performed by jazz musicians?

if you can't tell the difference, does it matter?

Archived