Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Long post: The Value Of This Forum

CowboyNQ

Below is a story which reinforces something I've long believed - this forum is the most incredibly useful resource any keyboard player could hope for. Not a short tale but I hope you'll find it entertaining and relevant.

Recently I initiated this thread: Kronos Noob Questions

As a quick perusal will attest, I received a ton of insightful, honest and relevant advice in short order. ALL of it useful.

This info gave me a boost of confidence which made me feel that I could indeed find my way around the backlined Kronos without too much difficulty, and I might also be a fighting chance of using the famous "set list" mode.

Off I toddled to my local music store, to acclimatise myself to the beast that is the Kronos:

tumblr_pjddbjpIEo1ual3guo1_540.png

As suggested by my KC brethren, I was able to fly around the menus very easily, and find the sounds I wanted without difficulty using the "categories" menu. My Krome experience certainly stood me in good stead, but quite frankly the Kronos is even easier to get around from a purely navigational point of view. I quickly realised that "set list" mode was going to be a massive boon, again exactly as suggested, assuming I would have the time to build the set list. During my visit to the shop I took comprehensive notes on what the sounds were called and where they were registered so I could find them easily at the gig.

Fast forward to the gig (today) and things started well. I had all the sounds I wanted to use written down, and was lucky enough to be able to spend some quality time with the Kronos to whack them into the set list. I also did not forget the good advice I received to ensure I saved the changes to the set list as I went along.

tumblr_pjdd93F5sW1ual3guo1_540.jpg

I was feeling super confident...until I gave all my set list sounds a test drive. For some bizarre reason all the piano patches simply didn't make any noise. Organs - OK. EP - OK. Synth - OK. Combi with piano and strings: Strings - OK, Piano - no sound.

Bizarre and scary when 50% of what I needed was piano. At this point I started on a process of expectation management with my band mates. They were trying to be nice but I could tell they were somewhat unimpressed.

In a moment of clarity amidst the descending haze of panic I remembered David's (Nursers') kind offer to assist me in real time if I got stuck. David is possessed of a sunny demeanour, friendly attitude and robust sense of humour, as evidenced by the below note I received in response to my initial text:

tumblr_pjdeslvHUD1ual3guo1_540.jpg

I explained my situation and he was honest enough to admit he (as a relatively new Kronos user) was baffled too. However I did tell him that an interesting and disconcerting message "Samples not loaded" was appearing atop the touch screen. David offered to trawl the manual for me to see if he could winkle out a small sliver of wisdom on my behalf. I told him not to trouble himself but he insisted, and told me it would be his pleasure.

And sure enough, he found the following, which he duly texted to me:

tumblr_pjdd9us8nu1ual3guo1_540.jpg

I followed the instructions and sure enough the piano sounds magically reinstated themselves.

Day saved, band happy, audience happy, customer happy.

tumblr_pjddagB4gS1ual3guo1_540.png

I can't thank all of the forumites who took the time out to share their knowledge and wisdom enough. And I wanted to use this post to give a special acknowledgment to David, who really went above and beyond to help a brother out.

In summary, the gig was a massive success and this evening's feedback suggests it will lead to further worthwhile corporate opportunities.

Were it not for this forum I suspect the outcome would have been wildly different, stressful and potentially embarassing.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I reckon there's worse places you could hang out on the internet.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curious. What did you think of the pianos and what was your goto piano?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

In the shop (through headphones) I really liked the Berlin Bright Grand - my assumption being that it would cut through the mix nicely and also knowing I wouldn't have time to muck around with EQ'ing the sound.

That said it didn't sound so great through my foldback tonight - too "toppy" but the on stage sound was pretty rough. We didn't have the best sound techs unfortunately, so can't be sure how well it came across out front.

In the shop (through headphones) I really liked the Berlin Bright Grand - my assumption being that it would cut through the mix nicely and also knowing I wouldn't have time to muck around with EQ'ing the sound.

That said it didn't sound so great through my foldback tonight - too "toppy" but the on stage sound was pretty rough. We didn't have the best sound techs unfortunately, so can't be sure how well it came across out front.

Thanks. I found Kronos pianos live to be an interesting adjustment for me. A 3rd party piano that is getting long in the tooth but nonetheless has a lot of fans is Epic Grand. ... In case the Kronos is going to be a permanent board.

It is a wonderful machine.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Wow you are a legend sir - was very glad to help and so happy it worked out!

That said, if you'd called me about a playing technique issue things could have gone VERY differently :D:D:D

And you're spot on, this is a GREAT forum :thu:

Awesome. I love it when a plan comes together. Sometimes, it takes a village to help out. KC to the rescue. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It certainly is a great forum; and David, you've played an important role, for a long time, in making this forum great! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Right back at you Geoff, you're one of the main reasons I'm here! And true story - two of your songs are on my iTunes playlist and get played regularly ;)

It certainly is a great forum; and David, you've played an important role, for a long time, in making this forum great! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Right back at you Geoff, you're one of the main reasons I'm here! And true story - two of your songs are on my iTunes playlist and get played regularly ;)

Wow! I'm honored. Thank you, David!

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm curious as to which two made the list.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Thanks for sharing that, David. Again, I'm honored.

It seems fitting that one of those tunes would be "Still Here, Still Gone." I wrote that one in response to the passing of Laurie Z, and she was certainly an important voice who helped set the standard here of forum members helping other members. (In fact, she was already helping other musicians when I first met her back in the '90s.)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I loved the KC comp CDs, still have a bunch of that stuff in my itunes library as well :)

I have hard copies of all of them. Those were awesome.

dB

One day hopefully when I have time, I'd love to have a chat again here about coordinating a digital version ;)

Archived