Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Carpel tunnel update.

desertbluesman

So I got the stitches out a week ago Monday. So I waited almost a week after the stiches removal then on Sunday past I decided to take on the bicycle tire replacement on both of our bicycles. By the time I was done, I had done something to my wrist that was excruciatingly painful. I had such sharp pains in my right arm at the end of that job I could hardly use my right hand for anything for the rest of that day. Luckily I got through to my surgeons physicians assistant and got an 11:00 AM appointment Monday past (This is 3 weeks since the surgery day) Anyways I go in to see him and he looks over everything, and says he could not redo the Cortisone/lydicaine shot they did 3 weeks ago. But he assures me that I did no permanent damage to the surgery area itself. He sent me home with a script for prednisolone a steroid. I took it easy the rest of the day and started the prednisolone regimen Tuesday morning and lo and behold within hours all the pain was gone, and I could use my hand again for mild tasks. Fast foreword to today I resumed my guitar practice in full with no ill effects. I have an appointment with the surgeon on the 20th to see if he will redo the shot (The PA told me he could at that time) and I think the tire replacement actually did something good and redistributed the Cortisone/lydicaine enough to actually make my wrist feel better than before the tire replacement fiasco.

End rant...........................

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take it slow and easy DBM. Sometimes a little pain is a good thing. It tells you when to back off. When the shots and drugs take the pain away you will feel like going full speed ahead. But the muscles, nerves, etc. are not quite read to go full speed ahead right after surgery. They need a little time to heal even though you feel great. Reminds me of the way they keep a race horse running on the track when they really need to heal up first. Anyway, take care and you know I'm wishing you a full recovery and all the best! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Like The Eagles said, "Take it easy" !

[Gack, did I actually just quote the guys who fired Bernie Leadon ?! :freak:]

Never had the situation yer in but did once have surgery to repair a severed tendon in wrist.

One thing I learned from that (+ other situations) is medicos can disagree seriously abt what seems straightforward.

Whe my surgery took place I had literally months of followup therapy visits & a definite set of exercises to follow to rebuild mobility & strengh.

You given anything like that ?

I can also share some ideas that I follow drawn from yoga & other regimes that might be worth yer while to try.

Best, pally... & remember, even when an analgesic eliminates the pain, that's not a remedy to the situation or something to prevent recurrences.

d=halfnote

I'll throw in that you're lucky(far as I know) that you're not diabetic. (Larry might have dealt with this...)

It took visits to FOUR different doctors until we found one that realized my wife DIDN'T have something that would go away once her SUGAR was under control. :mad:

Or one that wouldn't go on about General Motors and the problem of WORKMAN'S COMP claims( which we weren't really concerned with.) :crazy:

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Wishing you the best DBM

Not qualified medical advice but, from observation and experience. It`s a condition of our body extremities, with relatively low blood circulation and flesh. Contrary to our general opinion, they are not physically vital parts. As such, when something goes wrong the pain seems like the end of the world. I don`t know if you are prone to having chipped nails but-ouch. But healing does happen, d mentioned yoga. There`s also do-in. treat your hands like they are center mass and your body can be trained to follow-up to a point of course.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Thanks for the suggestions amigo's. All seems well truthfully. We shall see. I have an appointment with the hand guy on the 20th. Until then it will be no hard gym hand/arm work. I will still do leg and back/stomach exercises. But no lifting or pushing with my hands until after I see him. But truth be told, the wrist feels way better since the bike tire odyssey. I will resume daily practice if it feels good enough. In any case I have a positive outlook.

BTW, the exercises I mentioned are not yoga per se but are derived from yogic principles in that they are based on the actual functional operation of ours bodies rather than truyna make them into something exceptional.

For example, try this: simply lay yer forearm on yer lap.

w.out moving yer elbow turn the forearm at the wrist to the L & to the R.

Notice how far either move can be made & if either arm's less capable than the other. Notice any difficulties ?

Where those probs may be is where you should be careful in overworking the joints, tendons, etc, til the become more fluid in movement.

The same thing can be done w/yer arm extended straight out, overhead, etc.

The basic idea's to gently extend range of motion w/out tryna push through too soon. Repetition & gradual extension works better than power-pushing.

Other exercises based on one's actual situation can be easily devised just by the logical exploration of your body.

"Back to you, Chet."

"Thanks, David. Now on to other news..."

:D

d=halfnote

I hope you recover fully. I've also got CT, and it's rather bad at times. But, I fear going under the knife. Especially at a VA hospital.

I am a member of Team Rubicon, a volunteer disaster response/relief org:

Click

While I was in New Bern, NC in September muck'n out homes that had been affected by Hurricane Florence, my right hand had totally seized up while ripping out drywall. That was scary because it was the first time it had happened. It didn't even happen to me while I was in the Houston community last year doing the same thing during Hurricane Harvey. Because of my "disabilities", I was very hesitant to volunteer for Hurricane Harvey disaster response. But, I was very surprised that my body handled it well. Not so much anymore, though. Hopefully it was an isolated incident, because there is no better feeling than being around fellow veterans (and civilians) in that type of an environment working together as a team to make a difference in someone's life.

Peace :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

All the healing power in the universe to you, DBM!

Thanks p90jr for the healing well wishes. So far so good, I did another practice session today the first 2 days in a row practice since the surgery and everything seems OK so far.

:cheers:

I hope you recover fully. I've also got CT, and it's rather bad at times. But, I fear going under the knife. Especially at a VA hospital.

BiC, thanks for the well wishes. The carpel tunnel surgery was a piece of cake. the incision was only 1/4th an inch across and healed up withing days. They do it in the arthroscopic method where they make a very small incision, and they send in a minute camera, and minute cutting tool and relieve the stress around your ligament. The prep for the surgery was more of a pain in the butt, that took 3 hours, the surgery took 15 minutes, and I was out cold for the surgery.

Archived