Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes must have pedals/stomp boxes?

Mogut

So im trying to oufit my Rhodes with classic phaser and other effects, the first pedal I bought was the Small Stone.

Where should I go from there? Delay? Reverb?

MXR just released a reissue delay "carbon copy" is that any good?

Is A Chorus a waste if I have the phaser?

SDC10611.JPG

SDC10580.JPG

SDC10633.JPG

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It all depends on what kind of music you're playing doesn't it? I used to have a Small Stone. Check out some old clips of Richard Tee playing his rhodes through it. To answer your last q, no, a chorus is definitely not a waste because chorusing and flanging are two very different-sounding effects.

OK, so you want to go down this rabbit hole. ;)

If you can get any of the discontinued Minifooger/Moogerfooger pedals, they all sound great on a Rhodes.

Currently, I am using a MF 101, 102, and a Minifooger Delay (can't afford the outrageous prices for the MF 104) on my Rhodes. Also I'm using a MXR Phase 90 (couldn't get on with the Small Stone).

This brings me to my point. Richard Tee used a Small Stone, Billy Joel used a Small Stone (Just The Way You Are), Donald Fagan used a Phase 90. There is a lot of trial and error in this endeavor. Buy used is my advice, lots of inexpensive pedals on Reverb.

I've never auditioned a Carbon Copy. I can tell you that keyboard players really like the Boss RE-20, and that will cover reverb and delay. Have fun! :cool:

:nopity:

Had the same Mark II Suitcase long ago, exept mine was a seventy three.

Are your amp the original, or from a 73?

Never mind, I think the innards are the same, a 2 x 50 transistor watt with 4xJensen speakers.

I tried a bunch of chorus pedals on mine, ended up with an Ibanez

It had stereo out, so you can return it to the input of the amp, or directly to mixer or FOH for full stereo effect if you like.

If it was today, I would search for something to tubifie the sound a bit with a stomp box.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Nice Rhodes! Funny you started this thread as I have just settled (I think) on my set of FX pedals. I'm not necessarily trying to replicate classic sounds one-to-one, but maybe this might give you some inspiration:

Dunlop Univibe - I love me a very slow, warbly vibe effect on the Rhodes. Also doubles as a chorus-y effect, should I ever need one.

Crazytube Circuits Space Charged - fat and mellow tube distortion pedal. Signal to noise ratio is excellent so far.

Moogerfooger Delay - I've had this for a few years and love it. Not really suitable for set and forget, but if you twitch the knobs while playing, you can create awesome sounds (self-oscillation, that pitch shifty ramping up and down analogue delay effect...)

Strymon Flint - doubles as a pedal for tremolo and reverb. I like the sound a lot so far.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

The pedals/stompboxes would be authentic accessories to accompany the Rhodes. However, I would use a rackmount multi-effects processor. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Moogerfooger Delay - I've had this for a few years and love it. Not really suitable for set and forget, but if you twitch the knobs while playing, you can create awesome sounds (self-oscillation, that pitch shifty ramping up and down analogue delay effect...)

You got yours at a good time. These can cost US $2000.00 now. :crazy:

Strymon Flint - doubles as a pedal for tremolo and reverb. I like the sound a lot so far.

Anything/everything by Strymon is dope. :puff:

Expensive, but worth it if funds are available.

what one loses from a rack mounted effects processor, D', is the immediacy of the knobs, which is exactly (aside from the sound) why you finally settled on the Prophet 6, I believe. :cool:

Brotha Dave, you're right about the immediacy of real-time controls on analog gear. :thu:

Those skills really come in handy when programming customized presets in a digital box. ;)

In this case, I would have the rackmount processor near the Rhodes and/or control it via footswitch. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My current favorite FX chain on the Rhodes is this:

Rhodes -> Voodoo Labs Giggity (A preamp with great saturation and EQ, I won it at a local music store, it sounds wonderful on Rhodes) -> Small Stone -> Eventide H9 Max-> Fender Twin Reverb.

This chain has made me fall in love with the Rhodes all over again. The Giggity adds sparkle and clarity, the Stone is just a classic sound, and the H9 adds any possible delay/reverb/modulation you can imagine, from classic to completely insane.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

My go-to effect with my MkV is tremolo. I've tried a few pedals, but now that I have it on my amp (Fender Princeton reverb) I leave it on almost all the time. If the gig is funky then I bring a wah. I also have a Small stone but never liked it that much, I'm thinking of getting the MXR phaser which I used to have and liked a lot. YMMV.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Ive always wanted a MuTron BiPhase for my Rhodes but not at the crazy prices on the vintage market. Im surprised these havent been reissued.

I agree the Bi-Phase is terrific. Zawinul's phaser.

They have reissued. "The Bi-Phase seeks to accurately reproduce the sound and control layout of the original unit. The Bi-Phase is all-analog and parts-accurate to the original, as much as is possible."

https://www.mu-tron.com/shop/pedals/bi-phase-limited-edition-black/

Will be in stock Nov 1, 2018 10am PST. $529.

Busch.

Ive always wanted a MuTron BiPhase for my Rhodes but not at the crazy prices on the vintage market. Im surprised these havent been reissued.

I agree the Bi-Phase is terrific. Zawinul's phaser.

They have reissued.

Will be in stock Nov 1, 2018 10am PST. $529.

WOW. That's real money . I currenly have a Moogerfooger MF 103 on order for $299.00. I thought that was expensive for a phase shifter. It just never ends, aluding to my earlier post.

Used to own essentially the same Rhodes as you, and I will make a slightly strange suggestion, but it makes great sense when utilized correctly. The EHX Ring Thing Pedal. It covers all of your bases in one box. Due to the unique features of the Ring Mod section as well as the fact that its a super highly featured polyphonic pitch shift, I essentially use it as a 9 preset simple to use (for me) multi effects pedal. I've got two speeds of phaser (achieved by using the ring mod in single sideband mode and turning the frequency waaaay down), three types of tremolo (Ring mod turned way down in frequency, I have a slow ramp wave, a fast squaretooth, and a classic triangle saved), a simple chorus (just a very slight detune, I can adjust the blend for a depth, or adjust the detune amount for chorus speed), and two chorusey pitch shift patches (one's up a fifth, one up an octave).

Then, each of these 'basic' sounding effects can be turned up slowly until they warp up into the audio/ring mod range. LOTS of fun, but as far as I remember there aren't any good demo videos out there. If anyone's interested I can throw one together in the next few days, I've always kinda wanted to make one to show how it can be used with keys.

Aside from that, graphic EQ can never be underestimated.

Herbie Hancock used a Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble. The prices on the vintage models are in the $500+ range but the Boss CE-2w Waza Craft chorus pedal has a CE-1 mode for under $200.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Don't overlook Wah. Again Zawinul used it extensively.

That depends.

Zawinul used one of the early Rhodes that had that fusion "bark", and whatever amp he was using was distorting his Rhodes. That produces extra harmonics that will work with a wah pedal.

Contrast that with later Rhodes that are bell-like and clean, with few harmonics that you won't hear the wah effect.

Another recommendation for the Boss Waza CE2W (with CE1 mode). It's a real analog chorus and blends seamlessly with your tone, unlike a lot of digital chorus pedals. Sounds as good in mono as in stereo. I've used a vintage CE1 and this pedal is just as good, in fact way more convenient. Boss just released a DC2w with SDD320 mode, which may be even better suited for Rhodes.

For delay I would recommend a pedal that also has modulation, like EHX memory man or Way Huge Supa Puss. Both analog delays. I have a Maxon AD999, but I miss the modulation, it's a bit boring without it. You could opt for digital, lot's of choice. I had Strymon El Capitan, but found it rather thin sounding. YMMV.

For wah lots of choice. I personally like the reissues, like the Clyde McCoy (CM95). Loads of character. Wah's voiced for Bass (like EBS) work very well with Rhodes. I used to own a Budwah (the silver one). I regret selling that one, from memory it was perfectly voiced for Rhodes.

Other interesting pedals are: envelope filter (MXR or Pigtronix), you can use those for touch wah type sounds. Stereo tremolo/panner is classic Rhodes. MXR used to make one: Stereo Tremolo (also panner). For reverb I like simple spring reverb. Tube driven ones react to dynamics (louder notes, more reverb). Some pedals emulate spring (J. Rocket Boing or Catalinbread Topanga). The eventide pedals are very good. I had Space, which is addictive.

For creamy overdrive I would rely on a real tube amp. With an overdrive pedal into a mixer or lineair amp you need a cab sim or you'll end up with harsh and shrill overdriven tone. Check out low gain overdrive pedals, like Barber LTD or Mesa Tone Burst.

Don't overlook Wah. Again Zawinul used it extensively.

That depends.

Zawinul used one of the early Rhodes that had that fusion "bark", and whatever amp he was using was distorting his Rhodes. That produces extra harmonics that will work with a wah pedal.

Contrast that with later Rhodes that are bell-like and clean, with few harmonics that you won't hear the wah effect.

Respectfully disagree.

Here's one of my Rhodes sample libraries in the Montage specifically EQed to be dull (no bark). I then added the Auto Wah FX in the Montage, default settings. Wah is a dramatic effect on pretty much everything.

Wah Test

I saw Zawinul many times over the years and he had many different Rhodes. I've owned 20+ Rhodes pianos. You can get good bark out of any of them (Sparkletop with felt hammers can be a challenge) with proper setup and EQ. Sure Raymacs, Torrington and Schallers all have a slightly different sound, but they all can bark when properly coaxed.

Busch.

I played with a Mutron BiPhase that belonged to a friend. Those are one thick sounding phaser.

Mutron Bi-Phase was/is top notch !

I also had the occasion to check it out because a friend (guitar player) owned one.

But at that time, I was very satisfied also w/ the Mu-Tron Phazor II which was half the Bi-Phase and much cheaper.

I remember the very 1st Mu-Tron pedal I bought for the Rhodes was the Mu-Tron III after I had seen Richie Beirach on Rhodes w/ Dave Liebmann´s Lookout Farm.

But already in the 80s, I ditched all the pedals from live rigs and used rackmout FX throughout,- except Wah- and Volume- pedals.

A.C.

... Wah is a dramatic effect on pretty much everything.

Well, I only owned 2 (Fender-) Rhodes which I serviced and voiced myself for many years.

My experience w/ wah-pedals is, it highly depends on which wah-pedal matches a given instrument best.

I always loved the VOX wah-pedals,- early ones from the 60s most ... soundwise.

But the truth was, even they sounded how I wanted a wah to sound, they were pieces of cheapo electronic waiste more or less.

Consequently I bought a "today vintage" Morley Wah-Vol-Fuzz pedal ...

The pot-less optical design was welcome, but the fuzz was crap and the wah-wah effect was significantly less efficient w/ the Rhodes compared to the VOX wah.

In fact I was surprised because the Morley had a wider range.

Joe Z. used the Mu-Tron wah-pedal which again sounds different w/ Rhodes compared to VOX and Morley.

A.C.

Archived