Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acousticsamples VTines MK1

VTines MK1

Just got an e-mail about this new Rhodes VI from Acousticsamples this morning. Not sure if it was literally just released or if it has been out for a bit. Has anyone here tried it? I know Steve Nathan (and maybe Jim Alfredson?) have done some beta testing for them in the past, so maybe they've gotten to play with it?

I think it sounds pretty good, albeit maybe a tad bright from the demos. I'm sure that can be tweaked.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the same email today, as well. Between the Canterbury Suitcase and the Scarb EX 88 I really didn't think I'd need another Rhodes library. But based on how incredible the Achousticsamples Wurli is, I'll probably end up getting this. I had the same thought about the brightness, but agree, I'm sure that can be tweaked.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

Sounded a bit "same-y" in the demos and it wasn't a sound that I'd go after, especially compared to the Canterbury Suitcase demos...but then again I don't know the real mk I from any other model so it might be spot on. With their reputation I imagine it is great so I'm looking forward to reviews.

Sounded a bit "same-y" in the demos and it wasn't a sound that I'd go after, especially compared to the Canterbury Suitcase demos...but then again I don't know the real mk I from any other model so it might be spot on. With their reputation I imagine it is great so I'm looking forward to reviews.

I agree, not the sound i'd normally go for but I love their Wurly so much that I feel like I may need to explore this further.

Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

I am having some weird issue that is preventing me from loading Arno's site, but the overview vid on youtube sounds amazing to my ears. Is that the link in Ross's post (it won't open for me either)?

Clearly it has immense tweakability so the brightness some folks have mentioned is easily dialed back or forth to your liking. He does such good work with all of his products. Looks like another no-brainer.

I'm not done with that video and I'm already impressed. I was gonna say that the upper register attacks sounds very "clicky", for lack of a better word but the "Attack" parameter seems to be able to dial that down. Everything else about the sound I like, but the fact that the library is only 80MB means it can potentially sit on the small boot drive of my 2013 MacBook Pro instead of living on my external SSD with my other multi-gigabyte sample libraries. I'm very curious about the claim that it uses low CPU I always thought modeling requires more CPU juice than disk-streaming. If it truly doesn't need that much CPU, I'm sure there are plenty of players with older computers like myself that would like a great-sounding rhodes playable at low buffer settings.

And I know I'm showing my musical biases but kudos to them for using a talented player that can showcase the instrument. The Spectrasonics effect? :)

I think the overview video does a much better job of presenting the sound than the Soundcloud demos. They are all very bright, with a lot of bell and attack. But the instrument sounds much fuller, and warmer in parts of the video. The modeling aspect, which gives so many parameters to adjust looks and sounds pretty much spot-on. Being a fan of Pianoteq, I enjoy the ability to get into the building blocks of the sound - there's no better way to get the sound you are looking for.

I certainly don't "need" another Rhodes - I already have Scarbee, Keyscape, Gospel Musician, Lounge Lizard, the UVI Tines Anthology, and some others. But the GAS is building for this one...

Jerry

I heard the demo yesterday. As I consider digging into software, this will probably be the first Rhodes VSTi I pick up. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

How did they manage to do this with UVI Workstation instead of Falcon? I just listened to the very life-like (if overly dark) demos, checked the specs, and was shocked that it is only 80 MB in size, meaning it is MOSTLY modeling vs. sampling (they refer to it as a hybrid).

My Mark 79 from Acoustic Samples is near the bottom of my list of preferred Rhodes VI's and is over 3 GB in size.

To my knowledge, this is the first hybrid Rhodes vs. all-sampling or all-modeling. I have WAY too many Rhodes libraries (a couple dozen or more; almost as many as acoustic piano), but I am highly tempted by this one.

The dark/boomy character of the demos is something I notice in most Rhodes libraries, and is probably true of the original instrument. I always cut bass in the studio anyway, in the "mud zone" (which varies in range but can be anywhere from 150 Hz to 300 Hz depending on material and instrument range but for a full-range instrument I usually only cut below 80 Hz or sometimes 100 Hz).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I was pretty set on getting the Canterbury Suitcase based on demos and reviews....if this is comparable it may come down to which one goes on sale first :)

Agreed on the vid vs the soundcloud clips...I hadn't scrolled down to the vid, only played the clips (which sound all about the same IMO and have a ton of bell). THAT is how you make a good video to sell a product!

I was pretty set on getting the Canterbury Suitcase based on demos and reviews....if this is comparable it may come down to which one goes on sale first :)

VTines is on sale till November 25 :thu:

Here for the gear.

LOL nice! I'd like to hear someone that has played both chime in (no pun intended). People seemed *really* happy with Suitcase.

I've been using the Logic Pro electric piano and I suspect either would be a pretty big improvement.

That video was really educational for me, I didn't know exactly how a Rhodes generated sound!

Depending on the material, I use either Canterbury or Scarbee 88 these days and have retired ALL of the others (possibly even Tines Collection, which has ALL of the Rhodes models and not just the Mark I). But neither is perfect, even with tweaking. I generally want more bark than bite, and this new one might be the ticket. I'll probably purchase it soon and compare.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

But neither is perfect, even with tweaking. I generally want more bark than bite, and this new one might be the ticket.

Not sure I know how you define bark vs bite but no matter. Whichever one it is it falls off a cliff in Canterbury as soon as you hit the 2nd A above middle C - like they forgot to cross fade 2 samples. Pretty sad for an otherwise stellar virtual Rhodes.

DarkyLord, I think of the bite as the initial attack, which Canterbury nails, and the Bark as how it modulates after the attack, which I have not yet successfully dialed in (if it's even possible). So we're on the same page there. That is probably where the modeling kicks in with VTines.

PGR, I never pay attention to Propellerhead stuff due to the low overall audio quality of Reason (though they may have finally brought its engine up to the level of the other DAW's, whose differences are rarely discerned in true zero-sum tests as they are with Reason). But it seems they are starting to offer general purpose software that can be used in other DAW's.

I like it. Its very distinct. I dont feel it sounds anything like the MainStage EP or Lounge Lizard. It has a lot of detail and sounds very intimate for solo jazz timbres but if the source instrument isnt voiced to your liking then yeah - its not the one for you. The detail in Canterbury is awesome as well.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Full disclosure: I did not do any Beta on this instrument, but I did get a copy with a request to evaluate and offer feedback. I've been out of town for an extended time and just got it installed late last night. I didn't have time to poke around much, but I used it on a track this morning and I have to say the realism is impressive. It clearly does not behave like a strictly sampled instrument, even one with extensive round robin. The individual note variations from velocity, and the behavior across the entire keyboard just feels (excuse me for sounding like a broken record, but) REAL.

I only scratched the surface with voicing. You can move the pickup back and forth and the tine/fork up or down, plus a bunch of other stuff. In minutes I had something very pleasing to my ears. I'll have more to say when I get deeper into it.

I don't own Canterbury so I can't weigh in with that comparison, but imho it's a step up from the Waves Electric 88 and several steps above all the others I have.

I just re-read the description of B5 and it too combines sampling with modeling. I either didn't know that or had forgotten it, as I haven't really used it on projects as I have the Hammond XK-1c. But I might seriously put time into tighter evaluation soon and decide whether, as a non-gigging keyboardist these days (I only gig on bass and clarinet anymore), it even matters that much as I don't do that many swipes or dynamic drawbars so using the excellent Moog Voyager keybed to trigger an organ VI may be enough.

Similar criteria get involved with Rhodes, as we now have some potential hardware options that aren't the compromises that have been out there for so long. This is also true of Mellotrons, and perhaps even Wurlitzers.

I installed it late this afternoon and have yet to do any work with it but from the get-go, it sounds great. Already it seems to have more life than other libraries I have, including Canterbury. Its in TUNE (Tines Anthology has issues).

Love the interface. The graphic depictions of mechanical adjustments make editing concepts so easily understood. Im looking forward to getting deeper into it, although I gotta say it sounds pretty fine out of the box.

Im really happy its in the UVI family. I can make it a multi with Ravenscroft and very soon, Acoustic Samples The Upright and avoid Mainstage and other CPU-suckers altogether.

Here for the gear.

Clawback, thanks for confirming the tuning issues in Tines Anthology -- I went nuts trying to figure out if I had some incorrect setting in its GUI, or some hidden MIDI command that was messing up its intonation!

UVI's acoustic bass is awesome but I can't use it as a regular source as I need my uprights to go below low E, and only Vienna Symphonic Library does that. I don't understand why the others didn't record a bass with a hi-shot extender; almost all orchestral players use them, and many jazz players as well.

So you're able to make a multi with Ravenscroft and The Upright (I much much prefer Acoustic Samples AkousKontr and even their free Kontr due to the German bass sounding warmer than the Chinese bass used in The Upright), along with VTines, and not get freeze-ups?

I just went back over my post and edited the bass as Id forgotten the name of the one I was looking at earlier. Ill def check out the free Kontr and maybe AkousKontr too. Youre the bass guy! Not anticipating freeze-ups but will take the word of caution as bass hasnt been bought yet :laugh:

Here for the gear.

AmpleSounds has a good upright bass as well. But I find Vienna Instruments Upright Bass by far the most realistic for a variety of articulations.

Maybe not the best for live playing though, as you'd mostly have to stick to just the pizzicato articulation vs. keywswitching, unless you don't mind that work style. That's what I do until final production, when I split between portato and other articulations.

Orange Tree Samples CoreBass: Pear, is a really old library that covers every genre and I think also extended range playing. I do hope someday they'll update that library with new samples; the current library is one of their first and is deliberately small due to resource issues that most people faced at the time (before disc space got cheap).

If you are consistently playing these instruments together vs. just loaded simultaneously for convenient and fast switching, I highly recommend you throw a HPF on the electric piano, and some EQ shaping on the low end of the acoustic piano as well. Rhodes in particular can muddy up the low end once there's other instruments covering that range.