Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prince: �Piano & A Microphone 1983�

3rdAct

New Prince release

According to the Associated Press:

Fans of Prince expecting his usual pyrotechnic guitar work will be surprised that one of the first official albums released from his fabled vault since his death more than two years ago showcases his jazzy piano playing. Piano & A Microphone 1983 is just Prince noodling at a piano and singing Purple Rain and eight other songs in a one-take recording made at his home studio 35 years ago. Warner Bros. Records releases the album on CD, vinyl and digital formats Friday.....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well seems like he was reprising those sessions in his last "Piano and a Microphone" tour in 2016.

my thoughts exactly. There was a video posted on You Tube briefly, before it was pulled, (pretty sure it was Dreamchilde who provided the link at the time, I got to see it) of Prince just sitting at a piano, playing and singing. Next day was the medical emergency airplane landing.

:nopity:

Yes, and I have to admit ( :blush: ) I didnt realize that Prince was at that level on solo acoustic piano. So much talent in one person.

He's as under-appreciated on piano as Stevie is on harp.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Prince with the much maligned keytar. Even Herbie couldn't make it look good, but this isn't too shabby, imho, keytar solo from about the 36 minute mark. Great musician AND a great entertainer.

https://gloria.tv/video/Gz8kNTtej2zi6ub9jGqG6PAuR

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Prince was also a good synth player, but he did play piano on Free from 1999. I think hes just as good at piano, bass, and drums, as he is on synths, drum machines, and guitar. Hes definitely an underrated bassist as well. Listen to some of the playing on his albums before Purple Rain. Theres some nice piano and bass and synth playing and drumming, and of course, guitar. I think he might even be better than Eddie Van Halen.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

A reminder that Princes last show was piano and microphone, at the Atlanta Fox Theater. So maybe theres a connection with this first release? I was going to go but they wanted $350 for an obstructed view seat, the cheapest seat.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived