Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: your OTHER creative outlets

Dannyalcatraz

In real life, in my time here and on other boards, Ive noticed that people who are creative in one area are more likely than others to be creative in multiple areas.

Besides music, I write sci-fi/fantasy (nothing submitted for publication) draw, paint, design jewelry (to be fabricated by professionals), and cook.

I was wondering what other creative outlets people here have.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good topic. Songwriter here ( 38 on SoundCloud)

creativity can move into other areas. I can cook, and its easy to improvise with ingredients. Also have a landscaped yard with +100 plants, trees, bushes etc that I groom.

On the business side, I had my own small business and created Sales/income and discovered possibilities.

There are other traits that compliment creativity.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Yea Great topic.

I unlike you two cannot really cook, I can heat stuff up, but cooking is something that I never really got into.

I used to be a camera man for network sports 1998 to 2006, specializing in aerial work from Blimps, helicopters, and planes. Won a group Emmy for the opening of the 2004 Olympics(all the aerial stuff was me). Quit doing that in 2006.

Painted with oils and acrylics doing landscapes and such thru out my teens and twenties, did some art shows. That is something I may start back into.

Wrote a few Pilots for TV comedies, never got picked up, they were not that good.

I wish in some ways I had done the whole artist thing and forgone having a career. But then again I like having money.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Various writing (no blog yet).

Visual arts.

Continuing music composing, w/&out lyrix.

Minor advertising slogans for clients.

Design much of my wardrobe.

Usetawas a pro chef but found that both too easy & frustrating (most ppl got no idea abt food but think they know).

d=halfnote

Sure,

I too, dabble in poetry and some songwriting;

photography back when the film I preferred was still available;

sketch a little, here and there. Mostly "cartoonish" type drawings. ;) Now and then I might add a caption. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

The one art other than music that I did back in the day was stone masonry, and my favorite to build of all of them is river rock.

see examples in the link below.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/515169644855514027/

My buddy the late Jimmy Byrd from Shawnee Oklahoma once said to me no problem Dave, it is just like stacking BB's :cheers:

I find it interesting how many musicians have close ties to cuisine (in particular) as well.

The answer's simple, if not obvious.

What are the 2 ways young ppl can earn money ?

The easiest job entry category is "food service worker".

The biggest job category for most young ppl (at least in the late 20th C) was "musician/entertainer".

:idk

d=halfnote

It seems appropriate that a person IDing as a desert man would do work in a basic area (such as I presume masonry to be).

DBM, are any of those examples of yer work or just examples of masonry ?

I do not have any pictures of my work. There were a few I would like to have however. One time when I was traveling I was in Florida, and I got a job in Hobe Sound, or Port St Lucy (somewhere in that area) And the guy wanted a stone mason. I took the job it was veneering a wall section outside the building, and inside the house a fireplace in White Brain Coral rock (rubble) with white mortar. The fireplace was in a Cathedral ceiling living room 16 feet high x 16 feet long with 4 foot returns to the Pecky Cyprus paneling. The hearth stone and the mantle stone were 4" thick in 3 four foot sections each all saw cut white coral. The hearth stone was in about 2 to 3 feet wide and four feet long sections and the mantle was one foot wide by 4 feet long saw cut and polished on all sides and ends. I think that was the nicest thing I ever did. I think I got 3 bucks a square foot labor to do that job, but alas I never took a picture of it.

It seems appropriate that a person IDing as a desert man would do work in a basic area (such as I presume masonry to be).

Masonry is a true art, there is nothing basic about it, For instance I learned the art of recording in a few months time, My masonry skills took years to learn. And I met many a true artist in that work. And one more beauty of the trade is; you could find work in any town in the USA. No resume needed, no work history needed, and I was very good at it not the best mind you, but in the top 5% truthfully.

Another instance of not being "basic" the last years of my working life I was in management of a very large masonry company. I was in the office as an estimator and project manager of many multi million dollar projects, I had to also negotiate disputes over things not bid or left out of the initial plans, as well as contract reading and negotiations, so I was up against professional college educated people. I never once lost a dispute against those architects or general contractors, never once..... All of that simple compared to the skill level of actual on the job building masonry walls. Although it is not respected like a big professional business man is. Take my word for it for every mason in the trade who does a craftsman like job, that mason is more highly skilled than any fat cat professional in some big office. There is no comparison truthfully. Only those who know how, know how difficult and precise that trade is. (And thankfully I never have to pick up another trowel again) But it is a true art nothing basic about it...

I write a lot. No intentions of being published. I tried to write some Science Fiction when I was younger but never went anywhere with it. Writing to be published takes up your whole life. I didn't want that. I'm also a decent nature photographer.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

I do cooking too. For a while I was on a streak of making dishes from the Republic of Georgia. Ostri and Ajapsandali are favorites. Another is Koshari, Egypt`s national dish.

I have had writing published but most of it is commissioned and not especially creative. My songs are the creative area.

I do acting for film and TV when the chance is there-actually I`m going to be filming a commercial on the 15th, but I don`t know details yet.

Some of you know, that I`m part of a performance group where I just sing to backing tracks. Several members of that group are also filmmakers, we have made two so far. The first one, called `The Bloody Knockers`, is pretty terrible, but can be seen on youtube.

I`m not sure how much martial arts can be thought of as a `creative outlet`, but I do that too.

There`s my own humble venture into video making as well:

[video:youtube]

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

What are the 2 ways young ppl can earn money ?

:laugh:

Putting it that way, it reminds me of the reply by the "country bar" owner in THE BLUES BROTHERS when Elwood asks, "What kind of music do you play in this establishment?"

And she answers, "Oh, we play BOTH kinds...Country, AND Western!" ;)

There ARE more than TWO ways young people can earn money. :D

Whitefang

Depending on local regulations in age (and how young were talking):

Food service (restaurants, coffee bars, etc.)

Retail

Lawn care/landscaping

Hospitality

Grocery service

Farming (obviously regionally dependent)

Construction

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I have designed and built three wood Kayaks and a wood strip canoe. I like making simple wood working projects and doing house repairs or modifications that are not typical straight forward things that require figuring out how to do it. From another thread I was amazed at how many of the forum members have at least some experience with martial arts. Jim

Haha-yeah, my living space has more weapons than music gear.

I got a letter in my mailbox from DHS, concerning a shuriken-a real one-that I forgot was in my carryon bag during a U.S. visit.

Fortunately I made arrangements, I still have it.

Sometimes I envy the judo or wing chun guys. No spears, no swords, no battle axes. Nothing taller than yourself.

Sometimes I envy the judo or wing chun guys. No spears, no swords, no battle axes. Nothing taller than yourself.

These are the two Wing Chun weapons forms that I am aware of... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Graphic design and fine art. I've done some record reviews and interviews for music mags. Helped friends write standup comedy routines. Work at a TV station as the Art Director and have done video and audio editing as part of that... along with some script writing.

Name 3

First, just HOW young are we talkin'?

Many employers still follow that 16 years old rule. So, for younger than that there's still the old standby's....

Lawn Service;

Car washing( not at a car wash, but I HAVE had kids about middle school age come to my front door and ask if they could wash my car! Seemed they were going door-to-door! :o );

newspaper carrier

Above age 16, the field is pretty much open.

Whitefang

These are the two Wing Chun weapons forms that I am aware of... :cool:

Thanks Larryz

Yes I`m well aware of both. I have some dear friends in Wing Chun including Chien Yen Sifu. He is a student of Lo Man Kam, a family descendant of Sifu Yip Man, who had a student named Bruce.

It seems his website is temporarily down.

I think it varies among schools, but from what I`ve heard from Chien Sifu`s students and seen on videos, the weapons are there but not as much a part of regular training. I got into a friendly debate with a longtime student of Chien and veteran of other styles as well, about the practicality of empty hand on the street vis. the legal issues around weapons. Japan is often associated with the `bubble economy`-well it`s in a bubble in more ways than one. I can be totally drunk at 3 a.m. in the middle of Tokyo, fall asleep in a corner and know I`ll wake up the next morning with my body-and my wallet-in one piece. In most other places, screw legality. What counts in a fight is who gets to go home and play guitar.

Yeah Skip, I knew your were well versed in weapons and Wing Chun history. I really never studied the 2 weapons forms but I had seen them on Augustine Fong's video training tapes. I loved the history of the long pole building strength by the polling of boats down the river as seen in the intro in the video above. Augustine was a student under Ho Kam Ming a student of Yip Man at his school. Bruce Lee trained under Yip Man as well. Master Augustine Fong's school is located in Tucson Arizona. If I am remembering correctly, he explains that while these weapons can be used in self defense, they are more like tools for weight training, hand eye coordination, balance, building speed, etc. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Wing Chun ?

Don't you cats mean Wang Chung ? :rolleyes::facepalm::D

So if you're feeling low / Turn up your radio

But now the music's on, Baby,

Dance---get the feeling not the word

Everybody have fun

Deep in the world tonight / Just let yourself go

Rip it up / Cool down

Rip it up / Get out what's inside of you

Move it down to the ground