Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do I tell if Leslie 3300 cabinet is mdf or plywood?

I'm looking at a used Leslie 3300 on craigslist. It is one of the black cabinets. How do I tell if it is mdf or plywood cabinet. Are the newer ones plywood?

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha! I think the middle panel can be pulled and the edges examined. The seller is not nearby, so trying to verify before making the long drive.

HammondDave - Where is the 3300 is your gealist? :)

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

I was not able to find anything on the web, but I'm guessing MDF since plywood is a premium selling feature. The G37 says it's MDF and has a similar look and covering as the 3300. Also, the 3300W says birch ply. No reason to not say birch ply on the 3300 if it was.

Don't quote me, it's just an educated observation.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Send a PM to Jim Alfredson. I could swear he actually had a comment several months ago that said something like the latest 3300's were made of plywood and had a better bass response. I wouldn't rely on anything Sweetwater puts out there; once it's out there (wrong or specs change and an update is needed) they are not bound to change it

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Seller pulled the middle panel and looked at edges. It looks to be plywood. It is a newer one purchase about 1 yr ago. It also says 3300 P on the label, but not sure if that means anything. Some older ones on Reverb do not have the P after the 3300. Anyway, the covering is thick, but it looks to be plywood on the edges.

I also read the post from Jim that stated his newer one is plywood and has bass for days!

Anyway, going to buy it! My back will love me ;)

• 2 years later...

Public service announcement:

The Leslie 3300 may not be a prime impulse buy but - fyi - the usual online retailers have wildly different prices right now. Several advertising for about $2500, which I think has been the price for a long time. Sweetwater now lists the price as $3200! I find SW often has reliable updated pricing -- e.g., it is usually one of the first to list newly released products on its website for pre-order. So if you've been on the fence about buying one of these, now may be the moment to act, in case Hammond-Suzuki is indeed upping the list price and other retailers just haven't caught up yet.

I bet the huge increase in price is due to drastically increased price of lumber that I"ve heard about.

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

Could be but all Leslie speakers went to MDF board after 1970 to cut costs. They don't sound as well as the 60's cabinets. A lot o guys tel me they don't hold up as well but I have some 70's in stock that are ok. I have a 3300 but haven't looked at the construction. It's still in the flight case.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Seems that the price has increased over the past few months. For whatever reason, some retailers were quoting the old price and some were quoting the new. Sweetwater had been honoring the approx. $2500 price until fairly recently.
DISCLAIMER - professionally affiliated with Fulcrum Acoustic www.fulcrum-acoustic.com

If it"s one of the first 3300s there was an issue with the horn driver. Hammond was very good about making to good. These were just a limited number a defective units I think.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Wonder if there is a discernible difference in impulse response between the two materials?

E.g. Tap them with a hammer at the hardware store.

Yes, there is a difference. MDF is basically small wood chips and sawdust saturated with glue and compressed into a board. In terms of resonance, it's nearly inert. Vibrations do not readily travel through it.

Plywood is much more resonant although thicker pieces will be less so than thinner ones and larger unbraced pieces will be more resonant than smaller or braced pieces.

Without resonance you won't get much of an impulse response.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yes, there is a difference. MDF is basically small wood chips and sawdust saturated with glue and compressed into a board. In terms of resonance, it's nearly inert. Vibrations do not readily travel through it.

Plywood is much more resonant although thicker pieces will be less so than thinner ones and larger unbraced pieces will be more resonant than smaller or braced pieces.

Without resonance you won't get much of an impulse response.

How about an 'in-between' wood like OSB? (kidding)

WH