Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random Thoughts and One-Offs

I have decided that I've been overthinking my organ tone too much.

In particularly I've been getting pissed off with my live organ tone on the SKX. I had been using a 3rd party tonewheel set that I found online, and while it had a lot more balls, the high end was too much and I wasn't getting the tone I wanted, no matter how much I tweaked the drawbars. It was especially noticable when I heard back live recordings, or when the venue had shitty floor wedges.

To make matters worse, our singer sent me a demo he and his uncle had put together of a new song he's written. The song is great, and the organ tone was so ballsy compared to what I use. The uncle is a great producer, but not a keys player, and it wounded my pride that his simple part fit better in a mix than what I would have done!

So this week I sat down and went back to square one. I stopped using the custom tonewheel set, found a stock set I liked and tweaked a little bit, and with the custom leslie settings I use, the SKX now sounds much closer to what I want. I've also simplified the drawbars for most tunes to a more basic setting and it's night and day. We're doing a festival tomorrow, so I'll test run it then. Maybe I'll be back to the drawing board next week at this time!

When I was on the wedding circuit customising synth sounds, overthinking the synth settings got me a lot of work because my borderline obsessiveness made it so that I was able to replicate anything better than some other guys, but I've found that overthinking drawbar settings just isn't the same.

Unfortunately, my less-than-satisfactory-organ-tones are forever imprinted into our latest EP. There's even one tune where the producer used a take when I was experimenting. The one he picked sounds nothing like what I wanted, and totally inauthentic to what the style should be. It is what it is, but we live and learn. Next album will be better 😁

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty remarkable program for the price of free. I'm digging all the view options.

https://chrishills.org.uk/ChrisHills/midiplay/

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a moderator, but,....

Folks, could you tell a little about the software to which you provide web links?   If the Bad Guys think this is the norm, they may start posting bare malware links the same way.  I've seen too many of my "customers" (I do IT for a living) get burned by this.

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

On 5/23/2024 at 11:06 PM, Synthaholic said:

Huh. It used to be, when you posted a twitter link, it showed the tweet. Did X rescind that function?

Anyway, the tweet is about Ray Castoldi, the house organist at Madison Square Garden since 1989.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I really like this new ad coming on several "conventional TV" channels. Yeah, call me old-fashioned, that's fine with me. I think the little piano piece is lovely and also the young fellow is very good at imitating the tea kettle whistle. Just great to see humans being simple and good.  :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to keep an eye on this. Daily updates of App Store sales.

https://appsliced.co/apps/ipad?sort=latest&l=nav&cat[]=6011

I'm using a Yamaha MG10XU mixer in a 4 space rack, so I like right angles. Since Summer, 2018, I have kept a pair of these (about $5.00 each) plugged into the mixer OUT using Radio Shack right angle adapters, and then my L/R Spacestation cables get plugged into these.

Batige.jpg.31f6f061515a122973600a686298ffea.jpg

These have gotten sketchy after 6 years, and I hate soldering female jacks, so I just bought these to replace them ($14.99 for the pair), and I'm super impressed with the quality. Heavy barrels, woven cable, solid. Maybe too solid. Unplugging a cable from them takes oomph. But I no longer have to use the trusty RS adapters, which are physically bulky and don't sit side by side easily in mixer outputs. Highly recommend these if you need a short extension.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CM35VDNS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Huaelu.jpg.a6f7e2da0e0c58c11ee5db8e7f764057.jpg

I can't help it.

I've known since the 1980s that Moog rhymes with vogue, but every time I read the name, in my head it rhymes with fugue.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I think 'The Bourne Legacy', starring Jeremy Renner, may be my favorite 'Bourne' movie.

On 6/21/2024 at 5:23 PM, Synthaholic said:

I'm using a Yamaha MG10XU mixer in a 4 space rack, so I like right angles. Since Summer, 2018, I have kept a pair of these (about $5.00 each) plugged into the mixer OUT using Radio Shack right angle adapters, and then my L/R Spacestation cables get plugged into these.

Batige.jpg.31f6f061515a122973600a686298ffea.jpg

These have gotten sketchy after 6 years, and I hate soldering female jacks, so I just bought these to replace them ($14.99 for the pair), and I'm super impressed with the quality. Heavy barrels, woven cable, solid. Maybe too solid. Unplugging a cable from them takes oomph. But I no longer have to use the trusty RS adapters, which are physically bulky and don't sit side by side easily in mixer outputs. Highly recommend these if you need a short extension.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CM35VDNS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Huaelu.jpg.a6f7e2da0e0c58c11ee5db8e7f764057.jpg

Y'all might think it odd that I'm reviewing small cables on here, but I've had to return so much crap over the years, when I find something well-built, I get excited and want to share.  🤣

Going into effect today: The ELVIS Act.  spacer.png

Tennessee protects musicians from unauthorized AI

This year, Tennessee became the first state to protect musicians from artificial intelligence impersonation. According to WPLN, that law is one of at least 10 notable laws to take effect today.

The law, called the Ensuring Likeness Voice and Image Security Act, or ELVIS Act, bans the unauthorized use of performers' voices amid worries about how the technology could affect the music industry.