Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scary Pockets with Larry Goldings Korg CX-3?

Bobadohshe

Just saw this video, maybe I'm late to this party. Obviously some of the funkiest shit ever. Is that a Korg CX-3? Super inspiring.

[video:youtube]

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slick as a 'possum crossing the road on a hot day :cool: Love that late 60's, early 70's funk flava'. When I was growing up, mom and dad called that "Mornin' Music" around our house. :)

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

LG is the man. The cap and puff jacket makes you think he walked in from the cold, played that cut, and left without even using the bathroom.

Fond memories of the CX-3 I played in the late 80's. Looked a lot like that one but even more worse for wear.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

(1) . It's never about the instrument. It's always about the person playing it.

(2) FWIW: The guy playing the Wurlitzer is Jack Conte, who, for my money, is one of the most crazy-talented musicians/arrangers/composers anywhere. Check out his stuff on UTube and his band Pomplamoose.

And unless I am deaf... they are playing much softer than most bands.

They're good ( Larry and the boys ) , but these guys are the bestest. Name one guitar player who squats like him? And a bass man who kicks on the beat. :D

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

It's interesting how playing with restraint takes so much more musical concentration and focus. One of the things that turns me off from a lot of the average jazz playing on today's scene is how players just seem to be endlessly playing lines as if they're playing an etude, or technical exercise. Where's the phrasing? Where's the use of rests as a means of expression? It's like the playing says "look at me, I can play all the changes..." When it gets too much to handle, I put on some Monk or Silver and take a deep breath...

The last two gents who responded. I was clowning around... I even used the goofy grin emoji. But since there is a serious way to go with it... aka restrained... versus too darned busy and Nicolas Slonimsky-like... ok I will respond.

Yes, players are forgetting melody is king. And melody refers to singing, Singing refers to breathing, and breathing refers to pauses between breaths..( "a deep breath", indeed ) audiences like to hear melody that is " natural " not like a motor mouth non stop machine gun. ( Although for variety, a machine spraying of notes is a nice change.)

The other thing is Monk and Silver in particular are very rhythmic... danceable .... and back to naturalness. music is about singing AND Dancing... which btw Larry Golding Pockets, is into. Even the name pockets could imply dancing.. " they play with a deep pocket".

I am sure some of todays musicians have turned their clocks back to the 1940-50's to be reminded of the primacy of melody and dancing.

And a note about Tequila, a song I have played on Sax, Bass, and keys.

There is a reason the song still stands up... Even another rhythmic monster, the always melodious Wes Montgomery recorded Tequila. The song is not junk, as it is easy to slip into that fallacy.

Tequila is so popular that this guest is outshining Brad Pitt's ex.

This video speaks for itself.... am I right?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Most definitely is. :cool:

Some really cool shit going off nowadays... It's a small world, how do we get into it?

Same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

(that is to say, you take the A and get off at 59th Street... ;) )

I guess it's not really a big secret, eh?

Given that the club is YouTube, nope. For those that have the drive and some talent, the doors are blown wide open. Your audience awaits, and you don't need to cram the band into a van and risk life, limb or sanity to tour the continent to reach them.

Of course, making millions doing this is a very tough row to hoe, but then 30 years ago you had to convince some A&R hump that you were worth the investment, and even then you spent your entire career recouping record company advances, so... at least now you can stay in your house and make the same amount of money for far less effort. ;)

I went down the youtube rabbit hole on that group last night after Bobby posted. Some off the hook, some kinda run-of-the-mill 2000's funk in the Postmodern Jukebox/Vulfpeck mold. BUT...taken in order, they add up to a group incredibly quickly coming into their own and laying down more and more dangerously funky stuff. The drummer in particular is keeping things tighter than my wedding suit on my 10th anniversary.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I think the only real consistent band members are Jack Conte and Ryan Lerman. The rhythm section tends to be ace LA players. I may be wrong. Richie may be able to help.

I think the studio they're usually in is Lerman's. You'll also recognize him as writer and guitarist for Vulfpeck's "Baby I Don't Know". Jack Conte was already pointed out as being one half of Pomplamoose. He's also a founder of Patreon.

Like I said, it's a small world. Instagram, in particular, is a very useful social media platform for this.

If you like it , then go ahead and record a copy with Audacity. Then open it in L Transcribe! And begin looping each organ phrase at half speed and learn them one by one.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Some really cool shit going off nowadays... It's a small world, how do we get into it?
The rhythm section tends to be ace LA players.
You just answered your own question - move to LA! :D But yeah, this internet funk scene (Vulpeck, Scary Pockets, Knower, etc) is definitely LA-based. You also have Thundercat/Flying Lotus/Kamasai Washington et. al. out there as well. It's indeed a small world.

I think the only real consistent band members are Jack Conte and Ryan Lerman.
This is correct (see the pinned comment on this video

Sam Wilkes was the only bass player for about the first 6 months but they've since brought in others as well. (Also hard to believe that Scary Pockets has existed for only a little over a year at this point!)

I think the studio they're usually in is Lerman's.
They also use Lucy's Meat Market a fair bit.

Looking forward to the next original tune from these guys! The covers are great, but if this number with Larry hints and anything, the best is likely yet to come.

Based in NY, checkout out Oz Noy doing his own brand of guitar based funky fusion. I was hooked nearly 10 years ago when I saw him with Dave Weckl and Will Lee. Nowadays, he's out and about NY with Lenny White and Will Lee.
Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

Most definitely is. :cool:

Obviously by not whining about how a Mojo 61 sounds better than a Nord or a Diversi or XK5.

"Ray: [smiles, comes out to the piano] E-excuse me, uh, I don't think there's anything wrong with the action on this piano."

The rhythm section tends to be ace LA players.
You just answered your own question - move to LA! :D But yeah, this internet funk scene (Vulpeck, Scary Pockets, Knower, etc) is definitely LA-based. You also have Thundercat/Flying Lotus/Kamasai Washington et. al. out there as well. It's indeed a small world.

I think the only real consistent band members are Jack Conte and Ryan Lerman.
This is correct (see the pinned comment on this video

Sam Wilkes was the only bass player for about the first 6 months but they've since brought in others as well. (Also hard to believe that Scary Pockets has existed for only a little over a year at this point!)

I think the studio they're usually in is Lerman's.
They also use Lucy's Meat Market a fair bit.

Looking forward to the next original tune from these guys! The covers are great, but if this number with Larry hints and anything, the best is likely yet to come.

OMG, Lucy's Meat Market has amazing gear....what a sweet studio!

Just saw this video, maybe I'm late to this party. Obviously some of the funkiest shit ever. Is that a Korg CX-3? Super inspiring

Oh Man!! I owe my whole jazz vocabulary to Larry!! He turned be on to Mister Hancock's Fsus4 on Maiden Voyage!

I could never figure that out until Larry showed me "Sus4" = "Sustain 4(for) you decide how long"!!

Seriously though... Love this.. Thanks for posting Bobby! Larry is a Genius.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

And unless I am deaf... they are playing much softer than most bands.

They're good ( Larry and the boys ) , but these guys are the bestest. Name one guitar player who squats like him? And a bass man who kicks on the beat. :D

What does this have to do with Bobby's post?

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Aaa jazzpiano88 Your hostile rhetoric duly noted.

I indicated I was goofing in the succeeding post, even mentioning the :D

But with you, I am not joking. Back off dude.

The joking that you took offense to, was about the relatively lower decibels the two bands had in common.

I wish Larry every success.

Archived