Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New synth: DSI Sequential X

It's amazing that now the details are out, there are people with funny glasses on that see the Alternate Universe version where this is a ROMpler. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I am also right about this marking the beginning of the end. Dave jumped the shark with this one. My condolences Mr. Smith.

Isn't it way too soon to make a statement like this? You have not seen it. You have not played it. None of us have. It may be a bust, or it may be the bomb. Too early to tell.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

sample import usb slot on back. new 24db filters. "You can shape the samples through loop manipulation, sample stretching, and the Prophet Xs sound-sculpting modulation functions. Each sample instrument has its own Tone control for high-pass or low-pass filtering." plus the dig osc synth.

Word is spreading that samples can be modulation sources and routed through the mod-matrix.

This would be good. In fact, I'm waiting to know what the mod matrix is, and how much interaction between the sampling and synthesis parts there will be.

I don't need another rompler (even though I have just a couple... :) ), so I'm interested in deep sound design possibilities.

Also, I want to know what kind of oscillators and filters are on board. I'm hopeful...

Word is spreading that samples can be modulation sources and routed through the mod-matrix.

This would be good. In fact, I'm waiting to know what the mod matrix is, and how much interaction between the sampling and synthesis parts there will be.

I don't need another rompler (even though I have just a couple... :) ), so I'm interested in deep sound design possibilities.

Also, I want to know what kind of oscillators and filters are on board. I'm hopeful...

Looking forward to more info on the mod matrix as well. 28 sources, 88 destinations, plus 11 dedicated sources - that's a lot of potential mod connections.

From what gather in the DSI forum thread here , the synth oscillator waveshapes are pretty basic compared to P12. Similar situation with filters (1 analog lowpass per voice, 1 digital hipass), albeit w/ newer analog filter design. OTOH, you get the VS waveshapes in the sample library. Each voice has 2 synth oscillators + 2 sample instruments.

Dave putting out a synth with a side of ROMpler wreaks of desperation and a lack of new ideas.

I guess now we know that Bowen was the Lennon and Dave the McCartney of that relationship. Wings.

The Prophet with a lame piano sample, just what the world needed. Thanks Dave Smith.

I wish Bowen would get his act together with the Solaris and show Dave Smith how its done when you have a moral compass and an uncompromising will and passion to create something new, something alive and something awe-inspiring.

And I am also right about this marking the beginning of the end. Dave jumped the shark with this one. My condolences Mr. Smith.

Wow... I never needed the ignore feature of these forums until now, and I lived through the Great OASYS Debates (playing the part of the evil manufacturer!). But you've done it. I find many of your comments repugnant. You sure think your opinion is very important and oh so correct. Have a good life.

Jerry

Seems to be a lot for the internet to chew on, on this one. (Possibly) new filter flavor/implementation.

I'm very happy for DSI. Regardless of what I'll find when I play one, it's strengths are pretty clear. I wasn't waiting nor expecting. I wasn't expecting that capacity spec from DSI.

It's the T8 that had the weighted action?

I'm interested to see what it's real-time sample mangling options are. And if that even matters to me.

It's chill doing this as spectator sport. No purchase imminent.

I'm intrigued if/when I'll get both an imagined and experienced sense of things unique to the X. (... the integration of the instrument osc within the synthesis engine. ... the disparate parts covered/available elsewhere as a whole in this iteration.)

Looking forward to the forthcoming thoughts and 1st-hand reviews.

Ok, I've read the specs, and the oscillators are digital... although I'm sure that they will sound good, this makes the X, in my view, less similar to a modern PEK and a bit closer to some Rompler with an onboard VA engine, like a Kronos or a JP-80. Now, coming from DSI, I'm also sure that the analog section will sound better than most VAs - but still.

Of course, programming is going to be much quicker and more fun with all the knobs... OTOH, 16 voices and two zones/timbres for a sample player are a bit scarce. So a lot of things to consider. Back to listening to the demos.

Ok, I've read the specs, and the oscillators are digital... although I'm sure that they will sound good, this makes the X, in my view, less similar to a modern PEK and a bit closer to some Rompler with an onboard VA engine, like a Kronos or a JP-80. Now, coming from DSI, I'm also sure that the analog section will sound better than most VAs - but still.

Of course, programming is going to be much quicker and more fun with all the knobs... OTOH, 16 voices and two zones/timbres for a sample player are a bit scarce. So a lot of things to consider. Back to listening to the demos.

+1 Thank you Marino, you've nailed it. Especially the part about the 150GB of deep samples but only 16 note polyphony. I get that they have to run it through the analog filters but a ROMpler with severely limited polyphony hurts. Aside from the abundance of knobs and analog filters I really don't see how this is substantially different from a Kurzweil or Kronos. I'll take the digital filters with no chance of note cut-off for a 1000 Alex.

I'm a big fan of DSI Synths, there is one for each taste, either it's pure analog "simplicity" with the P06 or OB6, crazy sound design like the P12 or super bang for the Bucks like the P08 or Rev2...

I have the P12 and the P08+Tetra linked, I'm sure in the future I will have the OB6 module, for this one, we will just have to wait to test it but I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will love this synth knowing the quality of Dave Synth anyway...

And for guys like me who are trying NOT to have a computer love, the 150gb or samples might be a dream comes true.

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

Well, imagine your new set up:

Kawai MP11 SE plus Stage 3 compact on Top plus Propeht X on top and OB6 module on the side....I could even finish my L shape configuration to make an U one....Like in the old days of Genesis and Pink Floyd....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

Dave Smith commented: The Prophet X is a powerful evolution of the Prophet series. Musicians have been asking for samples through real analog flters for a long time. Weve given them not only that, but also all of the synthesis capabilites and awesome sound youd expect from a Prophet.

"Dave Smith summed up the new instrument: Composers will love the Prophet X for soundtracks and synth geeks will love it for its sound mangling potential."

I'm not here to say I told you so but... Please PM me your kudos.

Also I want to see how many of you guys actually drop coin for one. I doubt very many will pony up for it.

Honestly it's not up to par ROMplerwise with the Kronos or Montage and not even in the same league synthwise as the incredible Waldorf Quantum. It's really in a no man's land, hence my dire predictions. It is the iPhone X of the keyboard world.

A car will take me where I drive it. Certain characteristics of the drive are tied to the feasibility & decisions shaping how I got into the given car.

--

I have yet to see how this Prophet X is just a "_______" (fill in the blank).

--

I'll reiterate I'm just chatting as a passionate keyboardist, and fully satisfied DSI user. Not being in the market is mostly irrelevant regarding my opinions.

Aside from the abundance of knobs and analog filters...

Your "apart from" seems to dismiss as insignificant some very significant things.

...I really don't see how this is substantially different from a Kurzweil or Kronos.

To me it seems much more synth than rompler. More like a mega Nord Wave. Okay, the Wave was 40% cheaper, but had only 180 mb sample memory, no on-board sample manipulation, nothing analog, more limited functions (far fewer knobs).

No, it's not for everyone, but who says it has to be?

Aside: Cool that it weighs just 24 lbs.

p.s. - surprise, the sampled sounds include more than piano.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As someone who bought a Kurzweil Forte earlier this year, I pre-ordered a Prophet X this morning because I see it as solidly complementary.

If I need polyphony I have the Kurzweil. I have as many digital tracks as I care to lay down in a DAW environment, and I have software synthesis. What I dont have is the immediacy of a knob-per-function interface, modulation sources that update more frequently than every 20ms, oscillators with the kind of slop that allows for an organic interplay, or analog filters whose tonal characteristic sparks something in me.

So Im excited, and I certainly dont feel like its filling a ROMpler shaped hole. Turn off most of what makes the Kurzweil interesting and I already have that filled. The deep sampling library on the Prophet promises to give me some nice raw material to work with, but its more about working with that tonal foundation than playing it as a pure sample library.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Side note: Lady G, what's got 20+ ms modulation sources? (The Forte?)

That's right. The modulation mechanism remains largely unchanged from the original K2000, and while it's an extremely powerful instrument in any number of respects, in that one area it definitely shows its ancestry.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Reportedly seen on the DSI Forum:

"The oscillators and instruments can be modulation sources. And oscillator and instrument pitches are modulation destinations. And you can also use both to frequency modulate the filter."

sample import usb slot on back. new 24db filters. "You can shape the samples through loop manipulation, sample stretching, and the Prophet Xs sound-sculpting modulation functions. Each sample instrument has its own Tone control for high-pass or low-pass filtering." plus the dig osc synth.

Despite this information, our resident source of negativity refuses to admit he was wrong. To characterize this as a Prophet 12 plus a Rompler is annoyingly simplistic. The X also allows a great deal of loop manipulation as well as playing samples backwards. And there's the modulation matrix capabilities which includes using samples.

I don't get the comparison the the Alesis Fusion. And for the price I would get a Kronos 2, or a Montage, or a Dexibell S9. But the closed minded dismissal of the X is silly.

Ok, I've read the specs, and the oscillators are digital...

As does the Prophet 12, though the latter's have more options, such as more waveshapes. That's why some people were comparing it to the Prophet X.

The X appears to have a simpler synth architecture than the 12, but it's hardly crippled, with that generous mod matrix which includes the sample instruments as both sources and destinations.

Without forgetting that unsubtle is usually diabolic, I listened to all the demos on DSi and Idiot's website , as well as on YT, with medium sized monitors on a notebook computer sound output, and on my main (neutral) big monitoring system with a very high q (neutral) DAC, as well as digitally coupled (from Linux/Firefox/Alsa) through a whiff of Lexicon 'verb, through a line strip of a Yamaha mixer, and I maintain I'll completely pass on these sounds altogether, no exception.

Maybe one day a edified and artistically mature EE will make the greatest sounds ever produced in the history of A grade sound making WITH THIS MACHINE's stereo prophet filters and analog signal path, armed with knowledge about the internals. Thus far, that didn't happen. At all. In any way.

T.