Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New synth: DSI Sequential X

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MGP, I'd suggest switching banks. :-)

That's all that I'll say, other than that I think the release strategy will please people.

I wasn't going to say anything at all, until seeing MGP's post. I get annoyed by stuff like that, as you know.

At this point, I have to recuse myself, as I now know details beyond what is currently public.

You too? I was wondering if anyone else was annoyed by MGP's posts. I have yet to read anything by him that is well reasoned. I wonder what he will say when it turns out he is wrong? Probably will carry on trolling here.

I'm confident in my prediction that the X will be a 12/ROMpler hybrid. From the demo it sounds like Dave has some Waveshaping/Transwave action going on like the Fizmo or his Evolver. That's it.

I'm not saying that the X is going to be a bad synth, the Fizmo and the Evolver were great back in the day. With the analog and wave manipulation the X will be neat. But this is hardly the innovative, game-changing synth we were expecting. So yeah, if I come to you with meh, that is why. This isn't going to have the same impact as when the Poly Evolver Keyboard hit. It's just not that type of synth.

If my informed opinion of what the X is going to be is wrong, I will gladly eat crow but I am confident in what I've been hearing and what I've heard in the demos and all signs point to what I've been saying.

But this is hardly the innovative, game-changing synth we were expecting.

See, I wasn't expecting anything. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What I find most interesting is teaming with 8Dio for the sampled sounds. I only have a few of their libraries, but the ones I own exhibit TONS of character. A sharp contrast from the sounds found on a typical ROMpler or earlier wave-based/wavetable synths where they can often best be described as antiseptic to the point of being lifeless. So you have these very organic (sorry, I think it's apt) sampled sounds teamed with synthesizer tones, in whatever way DSI has come up with. It could very well be that the piano, strings, brass, etc. on this synth completely embarrass 99% of what's out there in the hardware world, even though samples are just part of the sound generation.

It will be interesting to see what level of detail is possible, Certainly seems that at minimum there is a single layer multisample (based on the piano demo) but will it support multiple velocity layers and, hopefully, user imported multisamples.

Just speculation, obviously.

Busch.

Since rompler's been mentioned by a few it will be interesting if true to see how polyphony is handled. If it's 16 voice max that would probably dismiss this as a viable rompler replacement.

I too have no preconceived expectations or hopes. But I'm still interested as always.

I received the official product announcement early this morning, from 8DIO as I'm on their mailing list. Perhaps the Dave Smith announcement will follow, but I suspect it won't happen until tomorrow, so am staying mum as there's an aspect I didn't see in the 8DIO announcement and I know for a fact that this will be part of the general announcement on 2 MAY (though I don't know for sure in which time zone).

At any rate, for those who did not see the 8DIO announcement, it is indeed a hybrid synth that has two sample voices and two DCO voices, if one needs to summarize it succinctly.

In some ways, one might be able to compare this to the Alesis Fusion.

I am probably too busy to delve further into this synth for another week and a half, but I may find time today to cherry-pick one demo or detail or another.

Just now, I checked my library disc and indeed I have very few 8DIO libraries but own many from Soundiron. All of my 8DIO libraries are quite good, but the ones I bought are specifically in the category of chromatic percussion -- one of their specialties. I don't mean marimba and the like, but stuff like steel drums, hang drums, and the like.

I am aware of many other nice-sounding 8DIO libraries for stuff like orchestral winds, but already had so many options by the time they came out, that I just wasn't inclined to give them a fair shake. In the context of a 150 GB sample base for the Prophet X though, and its hybrid engine, they may indeed serve a unique purpose, as I won't take a computer to a gig.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Price: $3,999 (Incl. free shipping within US/EU/CANADA)

Sequential Prophet X Hardware Synth

True Analog Sample Synthesizer

16-Voice Stereo Analog Filters

Ultra-Low Latency. Instant load time

150GB Factory Sample Content (+200.000 Samples)

Advanced Sample and Prophet Synth Engine

512 Core Programs / 512 User Programs / 512 Add-On Programs

Custom Add-On Libraries Available, exclusively from 8Dio

User Sample Import December 2018

https://8dio.com/instrument/prophet-x/

Busch.

Oh, I didn't notice the one-line post above with the announcement link. I am EXTREMELY careful about clicking on links, and first investigate the source page before doing so -- especially when they say stuff like "CLONK HERE" -- I take that as a likely virus (e.g.). This time, I assumed it was a link to 8DIO's web site, so people could investigate their libraries.

It looks like the 8DIO web page linked above has a bit more detail than the email announcement I received this morning, but probably just due to formatting.

That page says late May. I thought I heard 2 May, but only knew that it would be related to a specific trade show, and I've been too much in catch-up mode from 3+ weeks off the grid to have time to track down trade show dates.

At any rate, you can find the release date announcement (whatever it is; certainly in May) believable, as that was what I was hinting at yesterday: a new approach to announcing things when they're available (or known to be ready, with no potential gotchas), like with Apple (and now many others). Part of this is to get real-world customer feedback before reviewers (who expected/wanted a different product) have managed to drop some bombs. :-) Sort of like premiering a new stage play off-Broadway first. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It will be cool if owners of 8DIO Kontakt libraries get cross-grade discounts for the versions that are formatted for the Prophet X.

I have the Alien Drum, Copperphone, Glass Marimba, Polyphon, Porpanium, and Studio Steel Drum libraries.

"The Prophet X also comes with 50GB of additional sample space for exclusive Add-Ons by 8Dio. We have deep-sampled several vintage synthesizers and unique instruments.

The first official Add-On is a deep-sampled Prophet 5 - in fact the last production model ever made and Dave's own unit. We sampled every single patch, so you can truly experience this legendary synthesizer through the true analog filters on the Prophet X.

The second official Add-On is a deep-sampled CP70 and Super Grand Piano.

All recorded in exquisite detail and with multiple articulations, microphone positions etc."

So, now we know that this new synth can be used to play "Jump" :-).

150GB Factory Sample Content (+200.000 Samples)

...Custom Add-On Libraries Available, exclusively from 8Dio

User Sample Import December 2018

Well that kind of beats the 60 mb of sample memory on a Studiologic Sledge, and the 480 mb synth-processible sample memory of a Nord Stage 3... also, in less synth-knobby boards, the multi-gigabyte Montage, Forte, and Kronos.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Finally now that it's out, I'd like a little love thrown my way. Right on the money.

So many naysayers here. Romantic Stack demo says it all. Who doesn't love a synth pad over a piano. As nifty as the detuning was it isn't enough to bring back Whitney Houston.

Maybe when Dave Smith starts cranking out the demos we'll hear more of the synth side. This ROMpler mangling is not moving the needle for me dog.

Not bad sounding but not practical unless you're producing atmospheres for the local Massage Envy or low budget film scoring. Zero way this works in a musical context. The only way it does is to straight ROMple it and if you're gonna do that there are Kronos, Forte and Montage with articulations etc.

This is not what I was expecting from DSI, maybe the demos from 8DIO are biased to the sample playback side but between the limited use musically and the stiff asking price I don't see this one being a success. And don't kid yourselves, in time it won't have the cult following of the PEK.

And I am also right about this marking the beginning of the end. Dave jumped the shark with this one. My condolences Mr. Smith.