Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Lord Stanley's Cup

Iconoclast

I'm 8/8 in the first round, I did my picks on NHL's site with a group of friends.

I'm an Avs fan. I noticed that I started my picks in the Western Conference where I made my pics with my head instead of my heart. As I got to the Eastern Conference, I realized I didn't know as much about these teams and started picking with my heart.

I got Nashville and Washington in the Cup final with Nashville winning it all.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we ever do a KC Stanley Cup playoff pool, this might be an appropriate prize....

miOdRma.jpg

....unless of course someone insists on an old Quebec NORDiques jersey in red....

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

I'm 8/8 in the first round, I did my picks on NHL's site with a group of friends.

I'm an Avs fan. I noticed that I started my picks in the Western Conference where I made my pics with my head instead of my heart. As I got to the Eastern Conference, I realized I didn't know as much about these teams and started picking with my heart.

I got Nashville and Washington in the Cup final with Nashville winning it all.

Similar here. I just don't follow the E teams as much.

I picked the Predators for this round but after watching how dialed in Hellerbuyck was and how tough the Jets played between the circles it's going to be a really tough series for Nashville unless something really changes.--but I guess that's why they make you play all the games.

I picked Vegas over SJS but did anyone really see a 7-0 first round game? Wow. Is Vegas that good or is this just an aberration? Or is this just a terrible matchup? Hard to say.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Very happy the Leafs lost and Mother Nature was allowed to move on to spring, as well. :)

Tongue-in-cheek disappointed the Oilers didn't win a fifth #1 overall. Came close for Montréal, but ultimately Buffalo probably deserves to finally win one. They will be VERY SCARY VERY SOON. Eichel, Ristolainen, A. Nylander, Middelstadt, S. Reinhart, and now Dahlin? Never mind Ryan O'Reilly. Jeez.

The coyotes have been in the cellar for the last couple of years and somehow seem to always move DOWN in the lottery. We should have had Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel and instead have Dillan Strome (who has been a powerhouse in the AHL! ).

Fortunately our GM was pretty smart and somehow snuck Clayton Keller and Jakub Chycrun out from everyone's noses.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Agreed, you also deserve better draft fortunes. Chayka is a very interesting man to watch, I'm curious to see how many of his analytics moves pay off. Hockey is the most unpredictable of the NA major sports and therefore harder for those team models to succeed. Keller and Chychrun are fantastic players, and I still believe in Max Domi. OEL is a stud, but he may be tired of losing by the time his next contract comes up.

In the same way, it will be interesting to see if Vegas can repeat their success next year.

Totally don't know what happened to Domi this year. He seemed to be playing too hard at times! He was still doing most of the right things...it just wasnt' equating into points or goals. Next year. I don't think OEL's going anywhere. 'Yotes are way under the cap.

Back OT: this second round is shaping up pretty nicely. Got some first game jitters out and now it's getting serious. Watched both games tonight and they're getting really physical. After the second game they all look up for grabs.

I'm sitting 2 of 4 for my 2nd round picks so far!

Expansion team gonna make it to the finals this year????!!!!

VGK looks tough to beat. Discuss.

Whoever ends up in the Western Conference final, it will be a great series. Winnipeg-Nashville has lived up to its billing.

I have grave concerns about our beloved Preds--Winnipeg just seems hungrier. But damn, it's been some great hockey.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Hoping Ovi can pull through and finally make it past the second round this year!

An appropriate sentiment from someone whose screen name means "FULL CAPS" ;)

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Hoping Ovi can pull through and finally make it past the second round this year!

An appropriate sentiment from someone whose screen name means "FULL CAPS" ;)

Hahaha spot on.

Glad they pulled through! Winnipeg better get in gear if they don't want to go back to Smashville for a Game 7.

Go Caps. :D:thu:

Admittedly, I'm not a huge hockey fan but I support all my home teams. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Whoever ends up in the Western Conference final, it will be a great series. Winnipeg-Nashville has lived up to its billing.

I have grave concerns about our beloved Preds--Winnipeg just seems hungrier. But damn, it's been some great hockey.

And then the Predators looked hungrier in game 6! Looking forward to game 7.

Gotta agree, the Preds "should" win this but just haven't put together the effort that the Jets have. Complete tossup depending on who shows up for the game!

I'm going to call it now....Las Vegas will win the Stanley cup.

It's in the cards.....so to speak.

I'd say I've hopped on the band wagon, but I've cheered for them since their very first playoffs! :laugh:

More seriously, as a goalie I've kind of like Fleury since his World Juniors, and he is my favourite goalie left playing, so I'll cheer for the Golden Knights and the Jets from here on. If they meet in the finals, who ever I go "Yay" for when they score will decide my loyalty for the rest of the series.

I couldn't be happier to see the Bruins licked. I'd like to see Washington out next.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

I'd like to see the Caps go deep just so we can quit this "Ovechkin needs to get his" narrative they re-incarnate every season.

VGK and Jets can't meet in the finals. VGK will play the winner of Preds/Jets.

Caps will Play Lightning. Gotta think the Lightning have the tools to win this on paper but Caps showed a lot more heart than I thought they really had against the Penguins.

VGK and the Jets seem very similar to me. Lots of team speed, hungry players and very few "established" stars but a lot of "emerging" stars.

I'm really stumped from here on out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm all in on Vegas now. Jets had a good run. Congrats to them.

I can now return to hoping that the Oilers will be the first team to bring the Cup back since Montréal when I was a newborn.

Hope the Caps can rally against Tampa. This is Ovi's last solid chance, Tampa has years of contention set up with their current core and prospect pool.

Sorry guys, I'm giving the Lightning some love here. They are too deep and experienced not to win it all. They've come back from 0-2 twice now against really hard bruising teams. Vasi in goal is amazing.

Go Bolts!!!

I grew up a non-hockey kid down in FL...and trying to watch hockey on standard def was crazy. I remember they added a little halo around the puck for a time to make it watchable, but basically you couldn't even tell where it was. HD makes watching hockey incredible (great for all sports, but it saves hockey imo). I watched a fair bit of that last Lightning game before our gig Sat, and that was just nuts. What I love about both soccer and hockey is that things can change so quickly (hockey especially)...NFL, it's kind of a plodding pace with each team getting the ball and it's broken up with a zillion commercials; NBA, each point doesn't really matter. I appreciate all these sports but I love how goals can just come out of nowhere in hockey. And how the heck those guys can see and deflect slap shots, wtf...

Also, I didn't realize just how amazing the Vegas story was. I don't follow the sport until the playoffs, so I figured "new team, probably moved from somewhere"....nope, castoffs and a brand new team, and here they are in the finals!

Also, I didn't realize just how amazing the Vegas story was. I don't follow the sport until the playoffs, so I figured "new team, probably moved from somewhere"....nope, castoffs and a brand new team, and here they are in the finals!

lol...I wouldn't call them castoffs, they were build through an expansion draft where teams had to protect so many players, but couldn't protect them all; all the unprotected players went into a draft pool for the VN to choose from the best at each position. Not a bad way to start a hockey club. Take Fleury the Goal Tender; he just came from the Pittsburgh Penguins who only won the last two Stanley Cups.

Vegas got lucky with a few picks and made some very astute trades, taking on some less desirable contracts in exchange for other better players. George McPhee and Kelly McCrimmon did a stellar job building the team and Gerard Gallant has coached them to rarified air. Owner Bill Foley wanted to contend for a Cup in five years; he was seen as highly optimistic, perhaps even naive. Doing this in the first year, that's historical across sport. If they win it all, it's on the level of Leicester winning the EPL, the Lake Placid Miracle on Ice, etc.

All that being said, you had to be an idiot to think that they would finish in the basement with the roster they have. Fleury, Neal, Karlsson, Marchessault, Theodore, Schmidt, Bellemare, Eakin, McNabb, and so on. All quality players, just got squeezed out.

I am still very curious to see how they do next year, however. Hockey is very prone to chance and we've seen wild swings in the standings in the last years with such parity in the league.

Caps win! I'm glad to see Ovi and Holtby get a shot at winning the cup.

I love the storyline with ex-Caps GM George McPhee's Knights facing the Washington Capitals for the cup. It's also a bit of a "defeat the Penguins Part 2" considering the Capitals are facing Fleury in net.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Archived