Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Lord Stanley's Cup

Iconoclast

It's that time of year again! I urge all to participate. Pick your Stanley Cup winners for each round and keep a tally of your picks. A little chirping encouraged. First games are on Weds:

1. Wild over the Jets (Jets young goaltender could steal this one)

2. Golden Knights over the Kings (who doesn't want this cinderella story to continue? Expansion team in the playoffs!!! I think all the pundits are saying the kings are too deep. But none of the pundits thought that Vegas would be anywhere near this good. Name 3 Vegas players...bet you can't. The team of "unprotected" players was one of the best in the NHL this year. Really interested in this series.)

3. Lightning over the Devils (Tampa has too many weapons and too much playoff experience)

4. Maple Leafs over the Bruins (I admit to knowing close to nothing about either team. I like that kid from Scottsdale; Go Auston!)

5. Caps over the Blue Jackets (As long as the rest of the Caps besides Ovi show up)

6. Predators over the Avalanche (Av's were epically bad last year and just barely squeaked in this year. Not going to go far but the future looks bright).

7. Sharks over the Ducks (If the Ducks win, they could go deep though)

8. Penguins over the Flyers (probably the only round that I will root for the Pens. Not because they're not good...just because I hate them)

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, I'd be impressed if the Leafs can upset the Bruins. Yes, it would be an upset.

I know. You gotta pick some upsets somewhere so you might as well go with a sentimental pick! As an AZ resident and the Coyotes eliminated before any other team, I had to have someone from the state to root for. Auston Matthews it is.

The first and second round of the playoffs are literally my favorite time of the year.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Also, just wanted to say RIP to the victims of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash. What a terrible, senseless tragedy. Words fail.

Heartbreaking.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I'd be impressed if the Leafs can upset the Bruins. Yes, it would be an upset.

It almost seems like the Bruins wanted to play the Leafs, the way they mailed it in during the first two periods against Florida last night. The Leaves are a fast, high-skilled team, the sort of outfit the B's specialize in shutting down. Jersey, the alternative, is more of a grinder team. Be careful what you wish for.

As for Auston Matthews, if he keeps playing at his current level, he will be one of the greatest American hockey players ever to ply his trade in the NHL. And he has a good supporting cast.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Matthews is an unbelievable player. I confess that I haven't seen him play too much, since I generally avoid the Leafs, but he is special.

Could you imagine if he had been born a few days earlier and we'd had a McDavid-Matthews-Eichel 1-2-3? Quite possibly would've been the best draft class ever from those three players alone.

BTW, I know this is a playoffs thread, but we don't talk hockey much here, so: Rasmus Dahlin. Get ready folks. If you don't already know, you will this time next year. He'll be dynamite the second he steps on the ice and there's no telling how high he could go. I just hope he doesn't end up on a team the Oilers play a lot. The chances are slimmer than ever this year with more teams in the lottery.

If youve been avoiding the Leafs, one player who got lost in Matthews shadow for a while is this years team scoring leader, Mitch Marner. Hes a blast to watch. If you like creative play-making, hes the closest thing to a Gretzky weve seen in these parts for a long time.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

If youve been avoiding the Leafs, one player who got lost in Matthews shadow for a while is this years team scoring leader, Mitch Marner. Hes a blast to watch. If you like creative play-making, hes the closest thing to a Gretzky weve seen in these parts for a long time.

Connor's from the Toronto area ;)

(You're right though, Marner and Nylander are almost as important as Matthews to the Leafs' future)

A little off topic seeing as the Coyotes finished 3rd from last in the season, but their 1st round pick Clayton Keller (only 5-8 and maybe 160Lbs, not legal to drink for 2 more years) is a human highlight reel. 'yotes actually had a winning record in '18 (but a disaster in '17) but this kid is an amazing talent. Hoping for big things next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAqZKrs6g-w

Clayton's from St Louis area

I have a conundrum:

I have watched the least hockey of my life this season. I'm a life long Leaf fan, who while I didn't watch, have put together their best season ever (at least in terms of points). I've been joking all year the leafs will win the cup if I don't watch......but I want to dammit!!!!!

What do I do?????????

anyway my predictions:

1. Wild - Jets: Jets in 6

2. LVGK - Kings: LVGK in 6

3. Lightning - Devils: Tampa in 5

4. Maple Leafs - Bruins : Leafs in 6

5. Caps - Blue Jackets: Caps in 6

6. Predators - Avalanche: Preds in 5

7. Ducks - Sharks: Ducks in 6 (my "other" team is Anaheim)

8. Penguins - Flyers: Pens in 4

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/04/09/nhl-playoff-format/

Interesting article on how the playoff structure could cause some early powerhouse matchups.

Personally I think the original 6 teams get too much coverage and love to see the game growing in places like Tampa and Nashville. I don't care if some of those teams have to meet early. You gotta beat the best to be the best.

Personally I think the original 6 teams get too much coverage and love to see the game growing in places like Tampa and Nashville.

Agreed. Can you say East Coast bias? Just count the number of Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, Bruins games that get national coverage.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Personally I think the original 6 teams get too much coverage and love to see the game growing in places like Tampa and Nashville.

Agreed. Can you say East Coast bias? Just count the number of Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, Bruins games that get national coverage.

bias, maybe. Just count the population in the areas you mentioned and translate that into advertisement income. :idea:

:nopity:

I would like to see the Leafs win the Cup. I wish Goldy was still alive to see it. My Karate sensei is a LONG TIME suffering Leafs fan also.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

5 times in the last 13 years the cup has been won by a team from California or Florida.

I'd be happy to see San Jose FINALLY break through. They've been excellent ever since the '05 Sturm/Thorton trade yet can't seem to get there.

I was just telling my wife and my daughter today (in seeing the "Go, Jets Go on the City buses...) that this is one thing that I really don't share at all with my fellow Canadians Citizens, the "Hockey".... Well, I share a lot of other stuff with them tough.... Like... Heu... Good food, no.... Baseball? No.... Football.... Yes!.... Heuuu, no, they think about the one with the hand not with the foot.... Haaa, Soccer!!! Heu, well, maybe not, I've been told that it's not a real Sport because the only national team that is successful in Canada is the female team.... Ok, S--t, I'm still very French I guess (And still a bit stupid, maybe, sorry for the bad humor...but it's an OT, right?), hey? Yessss, this one for sure, the, our " Hey", I share it with them....
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

OK...I have really overestimated Toronto

Philly and Pittsburgh...which team will have the last blowout? Great series but boring games.

GO VEGAS! BEAT LA. Vegas is for real baby!

Did anyone see the Caps losing in the 1st round? Time to wake up Washington!

Just when I'd given up on the Wild, they show signs of life.

Glad SJS is beating ANA but both teams are strong and I haven't managed to see a game yet.

I'd rather see Toronto lose in a sweep, but you do have to give everyone a chance to play in front of their own fans. Case in point, the Wild.

Washington is farting all over this one. They better come to play and finish a game or they will live in infamy. Their core is aging and their cap situation gets even worse after this year. It's only gonna get harder.

And yeah, Vegas. :) Great series, three great games, but they manage to come out on top in all three. I heard a lot "LA's experience will take over blablabla" but people forget we're talking about players like Marc-André Fleury, James Neal, David Perron, and Shea Theodore. Coached by Gerard Gallant. These guys ain't messin' around.

Of course the second I bad mouth Toronto they put together a win.

"It ain't a series until someone loses a home game." Don't know who said it but it's a great quote.

Anaheim's loss was one of the most undisciplined bit of hockey I've seen in a while. You can't keep putting a team like SJS on the power play.

Have they not figured out the way slashing is being called this year? It's been consistent all year! Don't do it! And Getzlaf get's a 10 minute that basically ejected him from the remainder of the game after his 2 minors.

Sometimes that edgy play works in the playoffs, but the Ducks have just taken too far.

Don't look now but I'm one game away from going 7 out of 8 in my first round picks that I made in the OP.

Go Leafs Go!

LORD STANLEY'S CUP ROUND 2

Pretty proud of my first round picks. I went 6 for 8 and would have been 7 for 8 if the Leaf's hadn't collapsed at the end of game 7. Same rules as last time: Make your picks, smack talk, joke, discuss.

Capitals over the Penguins: Actually if I had to bet my money would be on the Penguins. They looked explosive in the 1st round but my heart is with the Caps.

Knights over Sharks: It's not midnight yet Cinderella. Plus, Vegas looked good against a good LA in round 1. Fluery looks in playoff form.

Preds over Jets: Wow...this could go either way honestly but you gotta pick one and I typically break ties with whatever team is farthest South and or West.

Lightning over Bruins: Bruins barely escaped Toronto. Lightning have too many offensive weapons and have been resting.

(FWIW I wrote this before the first two games started)

Archived